Giro Pneumo Helmets

Giro Pneumo Helmets

Can you see through your helmet? If not, it's time to look at Lance Armstrong's newest Giro, the PneumoTM. 19 air-powered vents work as a system with internal channels to move huge amounts of air up, over, and around your head. That's Wind TunnelTM ventilation. Upper and lower in-mold shells reinforce the lightweight design. The new, mega-adjustable Roc Loc 4 and Coolmax® pads keep everything in place. Last, but not least, a special POV visor protects your vision or stores easily in a jersey pocket.

[Jun 02, 2014]
Chris Marney

Strength:

FIT: My narrow head is tough to fit, but this is just right. To get my best fit, I must undo the rear retention knob of the RocLoc 5 a couple clicks, put the helmet on and tighten it up. Also dropped that whole retention device down to the lowest setting to get the front lower on my forehead and prevent push-back upon frontal impact.
VISOR: This is an asset. Tilts and removes easily. Matching color is nice too.
WIND NOISE: Much lower than my other helmets (Mavic Syncro, Bell Sweep XC, Bell Ghisallo).
VENTILATION: WOW! Not only quiet but the flow-through design keeps me very cool.

VISOR: Vibrates under strong winds over 10-15 mph. I choose to remove it when descending. I could have simply tilted it up and out of my sight too.

Potential issue could be less sun protection through the many large vents. Gotta sunscreen everywhere skin could be exposed. Hasn't been an issue yet.

Mavic Syncro (with visor), Bell Sweep XC (with visor), Bell Ghisallo

[Jul 19, 2010]
Michael

Strength:

Fairly comfortable
well ventilated
light enough for me

durability of pads and rock-lock

This helmet was fine, but I wish it was more durable. The pads and rock-lock (thing that holds on to the back of your skull) disintegrated and started cutting into my skin after a couple years. I know, they say you're supposed to replace it after a couple years anyway, but I'm too stingy to replace a helmet with no cracks and no crashes.

[Apr 21, 2010]
wonderwall16

Strength:

I slammed my head into the pavement and got up with terrible cuts and bruises galore but absolutely no head damage

The helmet broke on impact but I don't begrudge them that.

Growing up, my father's motto about a wide array of things was that he'd "rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it." Upon reaching adulthood, that same philosophy has influenced countless decisions I've made, one of which was wearing the Giro Pneumo helmet while heading home after work yesterday. I wiped out going full speed and I would be dead if it weren't for the helmet. That's about as simply as I can put it.

N/A

[Dec 13, 2009]
CircaRigel

Strength:

great ventillation
custom adjustments
lightweight
stylish design
does its job, i.e. saved my life

This helmet my life today. I hit a patch of sand in the road coming off Lookout Mountain, and crashed at high speed, hitting my head hard on the pavement. I came away with a concussion, but my helmet was destroyed. It did its job. From the looks of it, I would likely have been killed or have had severe traumatic brain injury had I not been wearing it.

Aside from that, this helmet is comfortable, cool (airy), and lightweight. The Roc Lock adjustment ensures a snug fit.

I've used this helmet for ~4 months

Riding for Renal, 2010 http://www.firstgiving.org/Riding4Renal_CircaRigel

various helmet brands

[Oct 20, 2009]
Harold Mitnick

Strength:

It is fashionable, light, well ventilated and strong. I am only able to write this because of the Pneumo helmet.

N/A

I have had the Giro Pneumo helmet for several years. I have always liked it. Now I love it. 10 days ago, I had a major accident on my bike. My pelvis was broken in three places, my right femur was broken, as were 4 ribs, and my Pneumo helmet. It will be weeks yet until I can walk or ride, but I am able to type and I am working from home. Thanks to my Pneumo helmet. Shopping for a new one now,

Trek something or other helmet

[Jul 28, 2009]
GLBorchert

Strength:

Well vented. Light. Attractive.

Retention/Fit system pretty much stinks. Not sure it's safe if it doesn't snugly fit your head.

Everyone seems to be in love with Giro helmets. You see them everywhere, and they're clearly the dominant brand. Though I think they're OK, in my experience this Giro Pneumo is average quality at best. The RokLock system, or whatever they call it, is basically a joke. The retention snaps broke within days, so I ended up using some superglue on them. Decent helmet in terms of venting, looks and light weight. The fit/retention system is sort of a joke. I don't know if the Ionos is any better, but based on my experience with this Giro I'm looking elsewhere for my next helmet.

Various Bell and Specialized. Recently purchased a Garneau Diamond to replace this Pneumo.

[Jul 18, 2009]
mac14

Strength:

light
comfortable
looks good
cuts wind nicely
not too pricey

maybe a bit wide( if your that picky)

i just bought this helmet a few weeks ago to replace the one that i bought when i first got my bike. i could feel the difference right away. it is very light and aerodynamic and it was worth every penny. a lot of people of said how big of a difference can a helmet really make? try this and you will see.

giro indicator
giro transfer

[Sep 23, 2007]
messyparrot

Strength:

Not expensive compared to the newer models. The small size fits my head well.

I have had the helmet over 3 years now I am guessing.
I am a chick with a smallish head, fits perfect and I still can not justify a new helmet as it works wonderfully for me. I wash the pads every time I ride, I am guessing they stand up as well and as any others.

[Aug 06, 2007]
JWB

Strength:

Impact protection, fit, adjustment.

Every helmet fails on this, but they should give you an extra set of pads as a season or two of sweating pretty much destroys the pads that come with the helmet.

Does it's job well. Went over the bars in a crash this weekend. Saw that I wasn't going to be able to avoid the carnage unfolding in front of me, and as the front wheel hit the mass of bodies and bikes, and the rear started lifting up off the ground, I tucked my chin to my chest, crossed my arms on my lower torso, and hoped for the best. The endo flung me so that the top of my (thankfully helmeted) head hit the pavement first (I literally thought "let's hope this helmet works and all I have is a stiff neck") Not even a concussion or headache.

Aside from that, I've always liked the Pneumo's adjustability with the RocLoc system. It's does a pretty good job of venting.

Giro helios, boreas, and eclipse. My head seems to fit Giro's better.

[May 22, 2007]
BigDaddy

Strength:

Nice look, great ventilation

Lousy fit for me, inferior pads, high priced

I've had this helmet for 3 years now. For me, the helmet is great on short rides but after 5 miles, the helmet becomes very uncomfortable. It seems to pinch down on my forehead. I've placed extra pads all around and it didn't help any. Much like motorcycle helmets, I guess I'll have to pick one for the shape of my head. Also, the pads seem to deteriorate after 6 months of continuous use.

Bell, Specialized