Giro Synthe Helmets

Giro Synthe Helmets

[Jan 24, 2016]
Harry W

Strength:

Light, quiet. Dependable Roc-Loc system.

Too much head cavity area, can't get the helmet to sit down on the head. Plastic securing system fights a battle for space with the plastic securing system.

First off, I am giving this helmet the highest value rating because I paid only $80 on sale at Competetive Cycle. I came from a Giro Aeon which I loved and was going along with the bicycle bluster of changing helmets every two years. I thought the Synthe would be an aero remake of the Aeon. It is not. My opinion is that a helmet is good if you don't think about it and you're not always fussing with it. I think about this helmet and I was always fussing with it. The Synthe is nothing like the Aeon. The Synthe's head cavity area has more volume so it sits lower on the head and leaves little room for sunglass temples. I'm always pushing it down to get it comfortable but it always slides its way up. It doesn't appear to have an adjustment to the plastic securing system. As mentioned before the shape is more round than oval and oval is more to my liking. An irritating aspect to the Aeon was the little point at the front and it was always in my sight, the Synthe, however, has a flatter design. Giro's simple Roc-Loc system works flawlessly and strap adjustment was easy and comfortable. There is less wind noise. If I had paid full retail I would be mighty unhappy. I broke my own rule: When buying a helmet, try it on and take your glasses with you. I just assumed that the Synthe was a better version than the Aeon. My fault. It's a different helmet altogether. For me, I give it a 2. You may have different results. Going back to the Aeon tomorrow (even if it is 2 years old).

Bell Sweep. Giro Aeon.

OVERALL
[Aug 11, 2015]
John

Strength:

Micro-adjustable with one hand via a small wheel on the rear. Light- one of the lightest in the "high-end" category. Return to lower profile of years past (late 90s, pre-Atmos). Straps sit tight to the head so no wind flapping. Love how the front pad is a headband-like wrap which is a departure from Giro's long standing usage of front lobe pressure points. Comfortable and is more of a round vs oval fit.

Almost no padding and none on the top of head area. This shell is similar to models from 20 years ago. Not sure how this helmet is more aero than recent models or even those from many years ago.

I think calling this helmet an Aero helmet is just marketing. Its shell is very similar to those from the mid 90s. It's certainly light but much of that comes from removing nearly all of the padding and very thin internal straps. The shell is certainly thinner than comparable models from Specialized, Lazer, Bell, LG. Really just a thin shell with a few new fancy grills as part of the cover.

Specialized S3, Prevail