Louis Garneau Quartz Helmets

Louis Garneau Quartz Helmets

Louis Garneau's versatile Quartz Helmet provides serious strength while maintaining a low weight and great ventilation. The tough in-mold shell construction is enhanced with a Super MSB impact ring. This patented design allows for extremely large ventilation ports keeping you comfortable without sacrificing structural integrity. Exo-Insert technology furthers the protection with strategically placed composite reinforcement to spread and absorb impact shock. Washable Sealed Airdry padding offers ergonomic cushioning with moisture evacuation channels help wick away the perspiration. Special SpiderLock SL retention system offers simple one-handed adjustment while bringing down the weight. Removable V-Pro visor.

[Oct 16, 2012]
austincrx

Strength:

Good Looks, Used by team Europcar

Can't seem to get the straps right, Helmet falls forward if not wearing some sort of sunglasses (only when mountain biking or riding cyclocross due to the bumps), helmet retention system pushes on a sensitive area in the back bottom of my skull causing a 'pressure point migrain' so to speak if tightened just a little too much (causes me to keep the helmet a little looser than I would like), feels a little heavy on the head

If I only did road biking, then I would have no issues and say it's a great helmet, but it does feel a little heavy on the head and it also seems to have an odd fit with the retention system.

Rudy Project Sterling, Bell Sweep

[May 30, 2012]
brad.bradley

Strength:

Fits my skinnier head well, nice price for Pro helmet, good adjustability, light weight, attractive design

Not a super-popular helmet so couldn't try one on locally

I have 3 of these in different colorways I like it so much. Helmets fit heads differently so one needs to try them on. Most of the current Pro helmets look like an upside down mushroom on my head (too wide) so it was refreshing to find a helmet that is both rare and still a good fit with a pro look. Had 0 problems with the adjustment and consider it easy to adjust on the fly. Nylon straps are easy to clean and the padding isn't 10 smaller pads that you can lose; just one contoured pad that is easy to take off and put back on to clean. Airflow is noticeable and comfortable.

Giro Aeon, Ionos, Bell Volt, Catlike Whisper, Selev, Met Sinthesis

[Jul 29, 2011]
rally25rs

Strength:

Light, good ventilation.

Feels a little 'cheap' in the hands, for the price. Placement of spiderlock is non-adjustable, and may not work for everyone.

Bought a Quartz to replace an old Garneau helmet, and wanted something with good ventilation for a reasonable price. The Quartz seems to fit the bill. So far, my real disappointment with this helmet has been the SpiderLock SL system. My olg Garneau helmet also had SpiderLock, but it was attached to the helmet, so it stayed in the same position relative to the bottom of the helmet. On the SpiderLock SL, it is attached to the back chin straps, not the helmet itself. The position of it is completely non-adjustable. It sits on some plastic tabs that are positioned in a hole punctured through the chin straps. This would be OK if it were positioned well, or adjustable, however in my case, if I place the spiderlock at the base of my skull, then the straps have play in them and I can lift the helmet off my head even through the spiderlock is tight. If I pull down on the spiderlock until the straps are tight, then the spiderlock is on the back of my neck, not my skull. It seems like a very bad design, unless your head just happens to exactly fit their non-adjustable default position. I've contacted LG so we will see if they have any advice.

Older Garneau helmet (from 2001 i think).