Specialized S-Works Prevail Helmets

Specialized S-Works Prevail Helmets

Specialized's S-Works Prevail helmet could just be the perfect combo of low weight and maximum ventilation for climbing and superb protection for...

[Dec 10, 2014]
G Howes

Strength:

Fits well, looks good, good airflow.

The mindset adjustment system is nice until it snaps. Mine snapped while I was tightening the helmet. However, it's possible to buy a replacement part only if you live in the US. If you're not a US resident you can't even get it shipped to a friend and have it forwarded to wherever you live in the world because they only accept US-issued credit cards. They don't even accept PayPal accounts with a non-US billing address.

Until recently I've loved this helmet, but my problems leave me wondering two things:
1) How safe is a helmet where there are numerous cases recorded on blogs and Specialized's own website of the adjustment system breaking? What if it breaks while you're wearing it? Would your head be properly protected?
2) Should you really have to BUY a replacement part when it appears to be a design flaw where weight considerations have taken precedence over durability and safety? Shouldn't a company with a modicum of customer service provide free replacements for defective parts?

[Jun 27, 2014]
dekindy

Strength:

Ventilation, ease of use, comfort, ventilation

Straps do vibrate occasionally

Bell Sweep, then Giro Ionos, then the Specialized Prevail gave successively dramatically better ventilation but the Prevail especially is a game changer. Keeping me cool enough to enjoy rides that previously would have been miserable hot. Tighten the chin strap and adjust the retention system height and you are done. Fits perfectly every time without an afterthought. Dual chin strap retention devices means the adjustment will not slip and no side strap adjustments that are constantly needing attention and bothersome on the face. Initially thought that would be a negative but once you try it on you wonder why helmets ever needed them because on the Prevail there is no need. Fortunate enough to find a Catlike Mixino to try on and probably fiddled with adjusting the side straps for 15-20 minutes and could still not get it right. With the Specialized you just put it on and go. A game changer in helmet design as far as I am concerned. Really allowing me to Prevail(pun intended) in really hot weather conditions.

Older Trek that was extremely comfortable but not well enough ventilated. Bell Sweep that medium was too small and large was too big but better ventilated, and Giro Ionos that was better ventilated than previous helmets but not even as close to comfortable as the Prevail.

[Apr 07, 2013]
Amdogwalker

Strength:

Looks nice, light

Strat adjustability, straps

This helmet looks great and cools well, the ratcheting system at the back is excellent. But part of the secret to delivering the light weight is super light straps without the adjustability of most other helmets. Those straps also sit further away from your face than many other helmets and that space seems to allow air to move all around them at moderate speeds and above. They vibrate like crazy. I like the helme but i probably wont get another one unless they enhance the adustsbility and do something about the strap vibration

[Jun 02, 2012]
Danny Mac

Strength:

Lightweight, comfort, strap system, airflow, looks good

None yet

For those who have reported a buzzing noise from the straps I experienced this today but only when I didn't have my glasses on due to fog. Once I put them on over the straps of course how glasses should be worn the buzzing stopped instantly and we raced along at about 45kmph no problems. Great helmet, I have forever replaced my old Rudy Project.

[Apr 16, 2012]
jabbahop

Strength:

Cooling, weight and comfort.

Its big and not sure I like the boxy style.

I changed from a Giro helmet that I liked to the Prevail and it is much better. I have long suffered from sweat dripping in my eyes so have been wearing the Halo sweat bands to reduce it. The Prevail cools so much better that I have no problem even without a headband. I also really like the design and fabric for the retention straps. Both the Giro and Bell straps would sometimes rub my ears - these ones seem invisible. Very impressed with this helmet.

Giro Atmos and Head Sweep R

[Mar 19, 2012]
MGS9500

Strength:

Cooling, weight, style, comfort

I don't like the color options.

A significant upgrade from my previous helmets. I have used Giro Atmos, Bell Volt and Lazer helium. This helmet is lighter, cooler, and fits like a dream. I am a heavy forehead sweater and use a sweat gutr. This helmet has tremendous forehead cooling and large vent holes.

At first I was concerned that the side straps might be an annoyance, but there are comfortable and I have no noted any noise from the straps.

The style is different from all other helmets. A little wider and more flat on the top. I like it. Less like a giant egg on your head and somewhat more like a hockey helmet.

I'm sold on this helmet.

[Jan 30, 2012]
pasta-lumbago

Strength:

Looks cool. Light! Head circumference tightening works beautifully. Great adjustability.

The thin straps vibrate to a buzzing frequency at speeds of approx 20 mph, with no apparent fix.
Customer support stinks: included manual has no specific instructions for the Prevail helmet, forcing a call to Specialized customer service where I was told that the helmet is completely intuitive and instructions aren't needed.

I just did my first ride with this Prevail helmet today (about 30 miles) in 50+ degree weather (January, in Iowa). I was wearing a skull cap and an ear-warmer headband. The helmet was easy to put on and adjust, and is noticeably light! Very windy day, and the strap on the left side vibrated so vigorously it made a buzzing noise (at 18+ mph). I saw another review that had the same problem...unfixable buzzing from the retention straps. Inside the helmet are a couple of hard plastic straps that allow you to adjust how far up or down the tightening knob sits behind your head. No instructions for how to do this in the owner's manual, which is very tacky of Specialized. For $200+, you'd expect more than generic instructions that apply to all of their helmets, and don't include specific ones for the one you bought. Couldn't tell about the venting because of skull cap and headband, but I think I'm going to love this helmet (once I figure out how to kill the buzzing noise at tempo).

Giro Atmos. A good helmet I got a lot of use out of (but weighs 3 oz more than my Prevail). Crashed with the Giro which is why I replaced it.

[Mar 26, 2011]
y2ksuperdon

Strength:

Fit adjustability, ventilation, retention system, large ear openings, light weight

Chin strap buckle (can only adjust one side) few color choices

Great fit, retention system is adjustable vertically and obviuosly the circumference. The helmet really hangs on your head, your head/forhead are not resting against the foam. The ventilation is incredible, they have the big mouth in the front but the real cooling is the air channels, a really great feature. I'm torn on the chin strap, on one hand the sytem has nice large ear openings which do not interfere with glasses, etc, but the buckle can only be adjusted on one side. It's also noticably light, this helmet weighs nothing compared to anything else I've worn. You almost forget its there. Just don't know about the aero claims, probably won't apply to me.

Bell Sweep, Specialized Echelon