Bellwether Coldfront Booties Shoe Covers

Bellwether Coldfront Booties Shoe Covers

Bellwether Strech Coldfront Bootie. Designed for the coldest of cold, these rugged booties are made for the brave who ride no matter what mother nature says.

[Nov 19, 2017]
Steve in KC

Strength:

Durable for 7 winters and counting, warm, easy on and off, great reflectivity on rear; not flashy/obnoxious

Reflectivity mainly on rear - note some newer Bellwether bootie models have it on front as well

Now into my eighth season of using these, wow, just now realized this. Considering I paid $30 for them back in 2010, this is one of my best cycling purchases ever. If you're looking for flashy a la Castelli, these aren't for you. So many booties today (Nov '18) are so gaudy with all the printing on them as to be obnoxious. These are subtle and pleasantly understated.

Mine now have a few small tears from a rigorous season of CX racing three years ago - not surprising. They've remained durable and have not ripped out despite the years of wear in mud, snow, rain and general cold. They have durable, rubberized reinforcement at heel, toe and sole which is the mark of a thoughtful design team. Heavy denier sides and top to resist abrasion. Strong reflectivity on each side of the zipper in back. Not a bad idea to add some reflective tape on the front outsides of these as they're black; there's a silver Bellwether logo there that is somewhat reflective but not large - their newer booties have a couple of, again, actually good-looking reflective accents on the front outsides.

Zippers still function perfectly; they stay in position and there's a velcro loop to keep them in place - also thoughtful. I wear a 46 in Shimano mountain shoes (shoe size 10.5-11) and chose XL for these. Fit is great. These booties are neoprene around the ankles (and stretchy - they don't cut off circulation and are easy to walk in) with a thin fleece lining all around. Fabric taped/reinforced on seam interiors - another nice touch. Be careful removing them - after about 3 seasons of basically just ripping them off my shoes, I tore some of that reinforced cloth seam off. My bad. They are still perfectly stitched together, though.

I wear these Bellwether booties from temps in the low 40s F down to the 20s with a pair of Costco wool socks and generally remain toasty for at least an hour or two on the bike at speeds averaging 15-17mph for 20-40 miles. In the 20s, my feet do get chilled after 2 hours in the saddle, as would most people I think in those temps. They aren't waterproof but are water resistant; I think a silicone spray would provide additional armor them against the wet. They have a "Windtech" badge on them and are indeed windproof. I ride with them about 1-2x/week outdoors in winter (Nov-March here), about 25-60 miles/week.

Cleat cutouts are generous and open under toes and heels - they could probably add a little more material to fill in each and my feet wouldn't get cold after 2 hours in 25ºF, but that's not a complaint. I'm not small - 6'+ and 185lbs - yet they're easy on and off. Wearing my shoes, I pull them on and can be dialed in after about 20-30 seconds total on each foot, including zippers and loop fasteners. Removal is even easier as I just unzip, peel them off inside out and am done in about 6 seconds each.

I'd definitely buy these Bellwether booties again, and in fact am looking at a high-vis pair right now. I also have some summer Bellwether cycling socks that are very high quality *and* nice looking for a value price. Tough combo to find in the cycling world. I hope they stick to that model. It's a solid one and has me wanting to buy more of their stuff.

OVERALL