Carnac Ellipse Shoes

Carnac Ellipse Shoes

Ultra-stiff, ventilated UCS 3 carbon composite sole. Specify insert (included) to fit Look (001), Speedplay (004), Time (002) or ’98 Dura-Ace SPD-R (005) pedal system.

[Jul 03, 2013]
Littleted

Strength:

These shoes are so well made...the Aston Martin of Road racing / riding shoes.

Sooo Comfortable...which IS the main thing when all you want to be thinking about is your riding!

Easy to put on, adjustable and stiff-soled, Fast to put on and take off for Triathlon too!

I have used mine loads and have found them hard-wearing...and soooo comfortable!

By the way, did I mention how comfortable they are?!

Slightly higher sole than some, but this is a really good stiff sole, so forgiven for that.

Nothing else to mention here.

I tried on LOADS or manufacturers shoes, Shimano, Sidi, Diaddora, Specialized, etc... but one I'd tried the Carnacs on there was absolutely NO competition!

I've now ridden and raced in Carnac for 20 years.... STILL no competition.

No, I don't work for Carnac...and neither have I married the MD's daughter!

[Aug 14, 2003]
32spoke

Strength:

Really stiff. Mate well with Speedplay pedals. Nicely vented. Look cool.

$$$ if you pay full price. Toes get scuffs but I'm GI and can polish shoes very well thank you.

Nice shoes. Well made with a good fit for my duck feet. The top half is great for spinning style riders.

Spec. Comps total crap. Shimanos older designs that worked well after I broke them in but flexed to much after a couple of seasons

[May 15, 2003]
europeg

Strength:

Wide toe-box, and appealing looks; reasonably ventilated. Comfortable for long hauls.

Durability: Within 2 years, the sole of the left shoe is seperating, and the upper material of the velcro straps is coming apart. I've had to buy replacement velcro fasteners at Home Depot to repair. Also, these are some of the heaviest shoes I've owned. Do yourself a favor, and buy Sidi's, or Time's.

Carnac's French-made Ellipse is great to look at, but durability is another thing. With the exception of the comfortable wide-toe box, I found this shoe to be terribly overrated, and overpriced; there is no way I would pay close to the retail $ 229.00.

Sidi Energy, Shimano-various models, Time Equipe Pro

[Mar 09, 2003]
wkndwarrior

Strength:

-Comfortable -Look Sweet -Carbon Fiber Straps

-Leather around toe isn't very durable -Narrow toebox? -Definitley not worth $235

These are my first pair of cycling shoes and have been happy so far. I have taken good care of them so they are still in good shape. They have very good ventilation, great for warm days, not so great of cool days. I got mine plenty snug which I like but the toebox feels a little narrow. The combination of cool air and the inablility to move my toes much means that my toes go numb quite quickly without booties. This isn't a problem when it warms up though. The kangaroo leather around the front scuffs really easy. Also the Carbon Composite (not 'carbon fiber') soles are easily gouged, simply if you step on a small rock on the road. I got a good deal on mine and are pleased so far, I wouldn't however pay retail for them.

[Feb 07, 2003]
Slash

Strength:

Look great, velco closure works well.

Loose ankle, difficult to get into and the sole is a bit thick compared to other shoes around.

Size 42 fit well but couldn't get my Speedplay cleats far enough back so it felt like I was riding on my toes, then went to 41 but the seams rub and cause blisters, the cleat adaptor is too bulky.

Sidi Energy, Sidi Genius 3 & 4, Carnac Aero & Lemonds, Time.

[Dec 08, 2002]
Vern Ellicott

Strength:

Comfortable

Leather not durable. Shoe died in less than one year. Leather on toes scuffed and tore early on. Very difficult to get on.

Comfortable shoe, not very durable. Toe scuffed and tore immediately. Difficult to get on.

Sidi Energy 2--best shoe I have ever had.

[Oct 11, 2002]
FishTaco

Strength:

Stiff Comfortable Roomy toe box

Pricey!

I have pedaled 2,000+ miles in these over the past year. They fit well, but that is obviously an individual thing. I am impressed because these shoes have been stiff but comfortable. I have worn them on several centuries and 100+ mile rides and no problems at the end of the day. Feet don't get too hot either. They seem like they will hold up very well with good care. I had some slight scuffs on the toe, from slow speed tire-toe contact and the like, but with some instant shoe polish touch up they look like new. Reflective heels are a nice touch too.

Sidi, Diadora, Northwave (mtb)

[Sep 02, 2002]
Mark Bayer

Strength:

Great fit. Great looking.

POOR quality. Toe scuffs too easy. Glue holding velcro fails and straps come apart. Heavy.

My first time out on these shoes I scuffed the colored leather off the toe. Since then, most of the toe has been scuffed clean and a couple of crashes have left the shoes pretty ratty. In recent weeks the velcro has begun to slide away from the straps. I suspect they will soon be unusable without repair. The shoes feel great and I love their fit, but I have been disapointed in their quality.

[Jun 27, 2002]
jtn

Strength:

sole durability, cleat replacement ease,

right shoe always makes big toe go to sleep and ball gets hot spots. only right shoe no matter how tight or loose straps are. toe tip scuffs very easily, heavy

raced and trained for years using carnac shoes. ligne pro prior to these. never had foot problems or shoe specialy needs. race about 10x by year both mtb and road.

nike, time

[Apr 09, 2002]
allezmichigan

Strength:

Wide toe box. Have wide, or Daffy Duck shaped feet? Look no further. Prefer Velcro Straps? ditto. And carbon ones at that. Superior build quality. I''ve had and rode mine for over two years, the only wear is cosmetic.

Heavy relative to SIDIS or Shimanos. Kangaroo Leather scuffs easily. EXPENSIVE, but quality and fit makes it worthwhile. Sole stiff, but not as stiff as Shimano''s or Nike Hautacams, not suitable for SPD or SPD R in my opinion.

I ran marathons for a year, after which my arches fell, increasing my shoe size 1 size and requiring me to get a wide shoe. I used to think Shimano R210''s were the best shoes out there, but with my wide feet, Carnacs are the ONLY shoes out there for me.

Shimano R210, R212; Adidas Adistar Road; Sidi Genius 3.