Giro Trans Shoes

Trans

The Giro Trans is constructed from durable and lightweight materials that are designed to please any audience. With a high-quality, breathable, microfiber upper with a strong and secure replaceable ratcheting buckle closure, these shoes will provide excellent comfort and breathability for a lifetime. Additionally, the incorporated Easton EC70 carbon composite outsole is extremely lightweight for maximum efficiency. Finally, with the Giro SuperNatural Fir Kit with adjustable arch support, a comfortable secure fit is accomplished with any foot.

bytewalls   Road Racer [Jun 25, 2012]
Strength:

Comfortable, Lightweight, Breathable, Highly adjustable, Stiff where it counts (more later), foot hugging

Non-replacable heel cup, red accents on bottom (not a red on bikes fan, #1 reason I didn't get the Factors)

First impression on putting these on was.... fits like a glove. Shortly followed by, wow my arch isn't that high! This is were Giro shoes really shine though! I simply took out the insoles, switched the medium arch piece for the small and voila! I then tested the stiffness and noted that they weren't the stiffest in the world, but at the price point I decided to give them a try because a good fitting shoes was most important to me.

After riding in them, and a little bit more flexibility I feel comfortable saying these are stiff where it matters. Simply put the shoes absolutely do not flex when you pedal, but when you walk the toes flex a bit. The sole is built up where it is needed and thinner, and more accomadating where it isn't. They claim that the EC70 sole is just as stiff as their top of the line soles, which I highly doubt, but it is plenty stiff. And more importantly the shoes fits. Where as my previous shoes where stiff as a board, they didn't grab my feet and move with them like these do. When I pull up on the pedal there is no in the shoes, no movement of uppers just straight application of power to the pedals.

Regarding the fit their are a number of notable features, a lighty padded ventilated tongue, offset velcro straps to avoid tongue pinching, a super effective ratcheting clasp (this thing just works and is easy to undo!), and the supernatural fit soles. The inside of the shoe itself is a soft textile with a removable/replaceable insole. The insole features interchangable arch sizes, although I think I am so flat footed I might just leave the arches out :P (which you can totally do). The tongue is super soft, not scratchy and most importantly doesn't pinch againt your skin. The ratchet is amazing, and the 2 velcros straps do their job perfeclty.

My only gripe is the heel/toe nub things. First of all they are red, on all the colors of shoes (none of the trans shoes have red anywhere else). The main reason I got the trans instead of the factors was to avoid red (which is a main color on all of the factor shoes). Secondly, they aren't replacable which has never been a huge issue until the heel pad tore off my last pair of Mavic shoes. That said these seem to be secured much more firmly so I don't think it will be an issue.

In short this is a great shoe for anything looking for comfort and performance on a budget.If you want the nicest shoe on the market I'm sure you can find something nicer, but you will get marginal gains in terms of fit and performance, these simply out perform every shoes I've tried at or near this pricepoint.

Similar Products Used: Mavic Axellium, Adidas Open Pro, Shimano R132, Some generic perfomance shoe crap
Sam   Road Racer [Mar 11, 2012]
Strength:

Stiffness and weight
Fit and comfort
Looks
Seem very well made so far
Not as flashy as some shoes
Can be used with SPD-R or SPD

No replaceable heal pad
Not as flashy as some shoes ( Depends on your view point! )

I brought these after using a pair of DHB RC1 Carbons for a year and was instantly impressed with the fit and stiffness of the Giros. The ratchet and straps are well positioned and after a couple of 50km rides there were no sore points or hot spots, which is rare in new shoes for me. They feel very light and have a low stack height, I had to low my seat slightly after the first ride. So far the quality has really impressed me there are no loose threads, or movement in the footbed. The stiffness is the most noticeable when clipping in and out, as there is almost no flex in the sole. I brought them in black, and this looks quite nice but not as good as the Factors which I was looking at as well. However they had my size in black. Speaking of sizing these are my size for athletic shoes which is nice, I wear a 43.5 asics, 44 shimano, 43 Specialized, 43 Time, and these are perfect at 43.5. The toe box is snug but not uncomfortable and I wear a wide fitting in athletic or cycling shoes if I can get it. The outer material is comfortable, not as comfortable as the factors but really good in this price range, and the padding is very good despite the weight.

As with the previous reviewer the lack of a replaceable heal pad is a downfall, however once these are that worn I will probably use them as a spin class / commuting shoe, as they can take both SPD and SPD-R, which is a real bonus.

I purchased these at an end of year special which is why I have rated them at 5 for value, if they were purchased at regular retail I would give them 4. They have the option of using Giro's variable arch support, at additional cost, I found the supplied foot bed to be fine. Definitely worth keeping in mind against the more expensive Italian brands around.

Similar Products Used: DHB RC1 Carbon
Specialized BG
Time Equipe Pros
DaveG   Recreational Rider [Sep 06, 2011]
Strength:

Comfortable out of the box
Good value
Soft upper material

Heel pad not replaceable

This is a well-thought out shoe. When you put these on you immediately notice how soft and subtle the upper feels. It conforms very easily to your foot. The cut of the upper contours nicely around the ankle. The ratchet allows small adjustment increments and holds firmly. The Trans uses an offset middle strap to reduce pressure. I can’t say if this really helps or not but both Velcro straps were comfortable. The sole seemed plenty stiff to me. Although Giro claims it’s quite thin I did not need feel any difference from my prior shoes. The bottom of the sole includes a “rough” section to reduce cleat slippage. Strangely these shoes feel warmer than the DMT shoes I was using before, even though there are plenty of mesh vents.