Shimano SH-FN51 Shoes

Shimano SH-FN51 Shoes

• Roomier toe box allows greater foot comfort
  • Antibromic & antibacterial insole reduces foot odors
  • EVA, non-making outsole is comfortable and gym friendly
  • SPD cleat compatible

[Apr 01, 2015]
rmfnla

Strength:

Super comfortable
Easy to walk in
BOA system
Very light
Great looking
Awesome ventilation

None for me; just be aware of Shimano's weird sizing.

I picked up a pair of these NOS on eBay for much less than MSRP, so the value rating is kind of skewed. It's too bad Shimano discontinued these; they are the most comfy cycling shoes I have ever experienced in over 45 years of riding. Yes, they are intended for indoor spinning but for my commuting and weekend rides up and down the SoCal coast they are perfect. Too much ventilation for cold or wet weather, but I won't ride when it's crummy out so that's not an issue. LOVE the BOA system...

[Jan 16, 2013]
Jim Davis

Strength:

I look in my closet and can report these are by far the most comfortable cycling shoes that I own.They are also the least expensive. I use them for touring, longer rides, and spinning, but feel obligated to use the expensive shoes for some training and club rides. Another member of my spin class loves hers and uses them outdoors as well.

It's true that I will crank them up a notch on longer rides which is easier as the Boa is on the heel and easily reached (a very nice and unique feature). I suspect it's the nylon that is stretching and not the cable.

I hope Shimano will continue to make these available. Right now they are not available and they appear not to have been replaced by a newer upgrade. It seems silly for a company to offer dozens of choices when shops can only carry a few for customers to try. The rapid turnover in styles means it's unlikely you can be a "loyal customer".

[Nov 12, 2009]
e.b.

Strength:

light
breathe well in warm weather
no velcro!

retail price is ridiculous
stiffness? not here
narrow design--poor choice for EE feet
BOA system will fail
soft outsole

This was my first clipless shoe purchase. I was attracted to the BOA system and impressive ventilation quality for taking long rides in the desert southwest. Unfortunately, the shoe has no stiffness at all. The outsole is soft and will quickly wear if you walk much in them. The toebox is too narrow, forcing you to go up a size, which is ridiculous in a technical shoe. The insole offers no support, so those with weak or high arches should be prepared to lay out some cash for proper insoles as well. After putting some miles on these, I don't trust the BOA system that much; I'm almost afraid to pull up much on the pedal for fear of ripping the boron lace right out of the tightening gizmo. If you brake this lace 30 miles from home, goooood luck.

I trusted my LBS when I purchased these. In retrospect, I should have done my research and went elsewhere. I won't make that mistake again. Way overpriced for a very mediocre product.

plenty, but better

[Jun 17, 2008]
arwolff

Strength:

Fit and comfort.

hard to find

These are replacement touring shoes. I had squeezed the last mile out of my Carnacs, and went to a half dozen shops looking for comfort and fit. The Boa fit system on these shoes is amazing. It feels like the shoe is molding itself to your foot. My feet are wide, but these shoes felt better than any of the half dozen other manufacturers I tried. Note: These are TOURING shoes, good for indoor spinning and long rides. If you are looking for max power transfer, these are not the shoes you are looking for.

Carnac, Pearl Izumi, other Shimano