Shimano SH-R151 Shoes

SH-R151

New carbon-fiber sole with hollow channels for optimal balance between stiffness and weight. High-positioned top strap with two asymmetrical straps alleviate pressure points and create a secure, stable and comfortable pedaling platform with maximum transfer of power. Molded toecap and heel cup with functional air vents. SPD-SL design that is Look® compatible. 38-48, including half sizes 42.5-46.5. Available in “E” widths with a roomier toe box. SSX-ZF-B1

MikeP   Road Racer [Mar 17, 2010]
Strength:

Very firm but comfortable shoe that can be used for all seasons and all types of road rides.

only one I can think of is that the poly coating on the sole heel and toe protection has worn off. Only cosmetic and you can't see when weaing them.

Bought these as first shoes 3yrs ago and they are great. Had no problems with them at all really comfortable and give a good ride. Need to tape up sole hole in winter & rain, but excellent cooling in summer - works well as an all season shoe.

Similar Products Used: don't know
choa   Recreational Rider [Apr 13, 2009]
Strength:

Well ventilated, great look, stiff carbon sole.

Price maybe, not for cold weather.

My first bike shoes, I don't have experience with other shoes. I have wide feet, so i bought wide model. Works fine for me. Sometime (after long ride) I can feel hole in the sole, but that's not the problem.

jkook   Triathlete [Aug 15, 2008]
Strength:

Stiff, feel good, the vent is great in the summer and when it is not raining. They look nice too.

The heal and toe pads are not replaceable. The Heal pad cap has worn through the clearcoat molding and is now spining on the rivet, 2 rivets would have been better or screw replacement pads. The vent at the toe is not great when it is cold, I put some tape over the hole if I know it is cold or going to rain.

I found these at closeout in my size, the shop was going to all ratchet closures for upperend carbon soled shoes, so I went out for them. I have riden about 1200 miles in them and like them alot.

Similar Products Used: Specialized BG shoes
edward   Recreational Rider [Jun 09, 2007]
Strength:

If you don't need a locking buckle these are great. I wear my shoes a little loose. Great sole. Great ventilation. Great color, everything goes with black.

The hole on the sole on the bottom may bother some and if you need a tight fit, these may not be for you. It would be cool if these had a boa closer for a eqaul tightening/looseneing

Awesome shoes for wide feet ! Colorado Cyclist had them for a price that I couldn't pass up. I had a pair of Shimano RH098's that fit good but I got hot spots after a couple of hours (entry level shoe with plastic sole). These solved the problem (with a better sole).

Similar Products Used: Shimano 98, Specialized BG S-Works (great shoes, but too narrow for me).
Nejc   Road Racer [Jun 04, 2007]
Strength:

wery stiff and comfortable, well ventilated

none so far

At first I was a bit skeptical because these shoes looked so compact and hard. When I put them on for a ride for the first time I still wasn't to sure about them, but then after few rides I could not have imagined riding with old sidis!
These shoes are so super stiff but yet comfortable. They are really super ventilated and wuth that three velcro straps you can really adjust the right tension on your feet.
After four hours in the saddle the still feel like they were on jour feet just for a few minutes. Great shoes, really worth of buying!

Similar Products Used: sidi genius 5
old sport   Recreational Rider [May 27, 2007]
Strength:

Fit--starts snug at the heel and widens to the generous side of average at the midfoot, with a roomy toebox. Heel contouring and padding does not irritate old bone spurs. Tongue is nicely contoured and padded.

Support--plastic cladding on outside enhances support without adding weight or pressure points. Sole is nicely contoured for low to medium arches. Insole reduces shock and pressure points without being too cushy. There is even a small hump for supporting the metatarsal arch.

Fasteners--the arch buckle is not missed. The velcro surface is generous, and the fit is so good I don't have to cinch down the arch strap to stay attached.

Cleat attachment--3-hole Look pattern works for me.

Appearance--traditionalists who insist on black shoes and white socks will appreciate the color.

The ventilation hole in the toe might work better as a drain for rain water. Although the mesh upper over the toe looks bulletproof, I'm a little concerned that my big toes might start poking through prematurely. And some will balk at paying more than $100 for a shoe that doesn't have buckles

As a former Campagnolo snob, I never thought I'd be endorsing shoes made by Shimano.

After years of stuffing my feet into Detto Pietros, riding them wet in vain attempt to get them to contour to my D-width feet, and cinching down the toe straps, I have permanent nerve damage down there. these are the first shoes I've used since turning 40 that don't cause my tender, paddle-shaped feet to give out before my legs do.

Similar Products Used: Luis Garneau Ergo-Air, Sidi Genius 2, first generation Sidi leather shoe with Ti shank, and those infamous Detto Pietros.
torrefaction   Road Racer [May 10, 2007]
Strength:

Light, stiff, cool looking, carbon sole

Painful after 20km

I bought these shoes based on the awesome reviews they garnered on this site. My little toes go numb and get chafed with these shoes. They're always too tight or too loose. Should have coughed up the extra dosh for sidis or dmt's. Owtch!!! Perhaps I have mutant feet, but I've never had shoes this uncomfortable, and I've had a LOT of shoes. I thought they were supposed to me more roomy? Obviously, they're worse on long rides and annoying enough to distract me during races. I'll have to start riding with a bandaid on my toe.

Similar Products Used: Shimano, specialized, lake, diadora, northwave, nike, you name it.
Darren   Road Racer [Mar 31, 2007]
Strength:

stiff, light, strong and good ventilation

none, never had any problems with it

very good shoe.

Similar Products Used: Shimano
Svooterz   Road Racer [Mar 22, 2007]
Strength:

Stiffness
Aesthetics
Ventilation

Size is a bit larger than other brands
Hole in the sole

Great shoes! They look very good, the sole is as stiff as it gets, and yet, they're very, very comfortable. I used to think that you had to endure a bike shoe's discomfort because of the need for stiffness - no longer!

However, the "ventilation channel" in the sole is more like a gaping hole, and the shoes already have more than enough ventilation, so it's really unneeded.

Size is also a bit larger than usual, I always wear euro 45 (us 10.5) and I think 44.5 would have been a better fit (that's what happens buying on the net) for me. Not all that bad though, I just have to strap in tighter.

Similar Products Used: Time RXT
scottcorinna   Recreational Rider [Jul 31, 2006]
Strength:

Very stiff sole and still light weight. If you have a wide foot give these a try.

Price may be a weekness if your an average Joe biker. But as I found there aren't very many options for fat foot bikers.

Being of the New Balance sneaker wearing group I opted for the wide version of the SH-R151. Ordered it from Performance Bike on-line since it isn't stocked at local stores.

I wouldn't normally buy shoes without trying them on but Performance allows you to return web orders to their stores.

I'm really surprised how well these fit. I tried the Sidi Genius 4 Mega at a local shop but it created a hot spot on the bottom of my feet. Not sure if the arch was in the wrong spot or what but they didn't fit any where near as well as the Shimano SH-R151. Just a great all around shoe.