Shimano SH-R215 Shoes

Shimano SH-R215 Shoes

New carbon graphite sole with hollow channels is 20% lighter than previous designs while increasing rigidity. Molded toecap and heel cup with functional air vents hold your foot comfortably. Insole is impregnated with an aromatic peppermint scent along with a deodorizer and antibacterial agent. SPD-SL design that is Look® compatible. 38-48, including half sizes 42.5-46.5. Available in “E” width with a roomier toe-box. SSX-ZF-A1

[May 06, 2015]
Cookieman88

Strength:

Purchased 7-07, still strapping in tightly, but the end is near. I wish I'd bought 2 pair, so I wouldn't have to be faced with this decision. Great, great shoe for the money.

Needed aftermarket sports insoles, which were awesome.

Great, easy entry/exit. Snugly Velcro, and rachet down to rock and roll. Very good, tough shoe. Im 220 lbs. and my 215's never missed a beat. Light, stiff, and comfortable. Almost 8 years old.

[Nov 29, 2008]
Ric

Strength:

Comfortable, cool, hold shape, narrow heel

This is a little late because I don't think they make this particular shoe anymore BUT they were great. I left them on the ground after riding the Silver Comet Trail in Atlanta and miss them greatly. Light weight, comfortable and sturdy. I probably wore them 500 times and they still looked good. Great shoe.

[Oct 13, 2007]
Jerry Horner

Strength:

Light, stiff, excellent power transfer to the pedals, excellent fit, great ratchet strap and nice fat velcro straps give excellent support. TDF looks!

WOW! Purchased new off EBay for the smokin' price of $36, the shoes are amazing in fit and performance. Light, stiff, with every watt of power transferred to the pedals thru the carbon fibre soles...and I don't know what everyone else is complaining about comfort for, I got the shoes yesterday and today rode 45 miles as a first ride in the 215's and they were perfect. No hot spots or numbness at all, maybe because I din't crank down the straps 'till my toes turned blue, just snug.
Amazing shoes, made my previous pair feel like I was trying to crank the pedals wearing marshmallows.
The blue/silver color combo earns style points, too...very sharp.

Pearl Izumi Vortex

[May 08, 2007]
Allan

Strength:

Super stiff for out of the saddle sprints, or any type of accelerations.

Super stiff is probably not for everyone.

Awesome looks with immediate killer power transfer!!! Unfortunately, it gave my different types of pain whenever I used them. Pain varies from either knees or feet. Used different insoles and shims to no avail. Switched back to Sidi. Not as super stiff for sprinting, but ALL the discomfort is gone.

I upgraded from a Shimano R215 size 40 to a 41. Better pedal stroke with the 41, but came with more discomfort.

[Apr 06, 2007]
andy

Strength:

STIFF!!
Fairly light
Excellent footbed
Good closure system

Carbon sole tends to mark easily, a cosmetic concern only....

I had planned to purchase the R151 shoes, as they were the cheaper model, but made the "mistake" of trying these on. They fit like a pair of socks with virtually minimal break-in, compared to the older shoes.

Buckle retention is excellent. Excellent ventilation - too bad its damn cold during wisconsin spring and I'm stuck wearing booties.

I had minor numbness after 60 miles until I put some thin orthotics in. Problem solved - one must realize these shoes are designed to be used with orthotics such as this.

I've got nothing but positive things to says about these shoes, except they are rather pricey. But, one shouldn't skimp with point-of-contact items such as saddles/shoes.

Older shimano road shoes

[Feb 06, 2007]
delmont425

Strength:

Good looks
Closure system
Stiffness/power transfer

Ratchet difficult to adjust on-bike
Hot spots develop after 70 miles or so

These are good-looking, very stiff, well-performing shoes. Power transfer is quite excellent. They are comfortable for me up to about 60 or 70 miles; after that, hot spots develop and become unbearable the longer I ride. I finally bought Specialized inserts, which helped, but only somewhat. I am now going to try S-Works shoes in hopes that the whole Body Geometry thing works as advertised.

Nike Poggio II's

[Oct 11, 2006]
thx247

Strength:

Very stiff sole

Air vent in sole

Keep feet comfortable in heat or warm rain

Finish looks good, even after 6 months of good use

Velcro and ratchet working as good as when they were new

Very comfortable once broken in (give them 2 weeks)

Lightweight

Easy to tighten ratchet while riding

Easy to tighten or loosen Velcro when riding

Durable enough to stand up to every day use

Difficult to walk in

Carbon sole is slippery if you mis-step on the arch of the shoe.

Ratchet difficult to loosen while riding on the bike

Rubber pontoons not replaceable, and for some reason come with clear coat on them. It chips off quickly though and didn't seem to pose a problem.

High cost (MSRP $240)

I have used the R215's for just over 6 months now. I ride every day to commute, and 4-5 times a week for fun or to train.

When I first received the shoes:
The Velcro buckles were very stiff and did not strap down as easily as I thought they should, although this didn't seem to affect their fit or performance. The ratchet strap is very functional and locks positively.

On my feet, the shoes feel very stiff. Holding the shoe in my hand, I cannot bend the sole in any direction.

On the bike the shoes make the pedals feel like an extension of my leg. There is no additional movement in undesirable directions and I feel like every ounce of my effort is reaching the crank. It warms the cackles of my heart.

My feet go numb after 20 miles or so. Releasing the Velcro slightly seems to alleviate this but I attribute it more to the shoes being very un-compliant and new. For the time being I just ride through it. While trying to adjust the shoes on the bike I notice that Velcro is very easy to adjust- but the ratchet is more difficult. There is no easy way to release the ratchet strap one click at a time. When it releases it usually releases many clicks and requires you to operate the ratchet several times until you reach the desired tightness. If you are riding in a pack or on a hill don't bother trying to adjust the ratchet. Takes too much time (for my ability)

6 months after receiving the shoes:
1 nasty crash (ratchet got ground down slightly) later the shoes are still working well. They are very comfortable, the Velcro grabs well and the ratchet operates as well as it did 6 months ago. My feet no longer go numb wearing the shoes. It took about 2 weeks for that to pass. I believe it was the shoes breaking in- when I get my new pair I will swap my insoles from the old shoes and see if I have the same numbness problem.

The heel still fits well, the shoe tongue is intact and comfortable. In fact I have never had a problem with the tongue being out of place or pinching my foot, even when the shoes were new.

The sole of the shoe is scratched up fairly well, only some small parts show the luster of virgin CF. The clear coat isn't chipping off nor is the CF damaged from normal wear in any area. The rubber pontoons at the front and rear of the shoe would probably last another year at their current rate of attrition. I walk around 300-400ft in them on concrete 5 days a week.

The plastic toe of the shoe is beginning to pull from the nylon mesh above where my big toes lay. It isn't a problem though and could be re glued easily. But it does look like the design could stand some "relief" in this section of the shoe as the plastic in the toe box is quite stiff. Maybe it is necessary.

The threading on the instep, of the rear heel cup is starting to come undone. I think it could stand to be double threaded in future models. So far it has not affected the shoes fit or feel. Its more cosmetic.

Comments

The shoes work well in the wet or heat. Wet they soak your foot like you were wearing a sponge. Water flows through them quite easily but seems to drain well through the front vent hole in the sole. I never had a problem with the shoes being wet since I have fancy space age socks, but in colder climates I would recommend a water proof booty of some type. When it rains here, its usually only 50F.

In the heat (used in up to 105F temps) the shoes are great. They flow a large amount of air through the sole vent and through the upper toe mesh. If you peer through the sole vent you can actually see through the toe mesh. If it gets very hot you can angle your foot on the pedals and flow more air through the sole vent although I've never felt the need to.

Other information, I have gone through 4 sets of cleats on these shoes now. I wish the cleats lasted longer but the pontoons wear down and the shoes become quite slippery on most surfaces. When walking up or down stairs, always use the handrail. The sole is slippery if you step on the carbon.

[Jun 27, 2006]
Gecco

Strength:

Very stiff. Great looking

SPD SL is really hard to clip in and out of.

I bought these shoes along with Ultegra 6610s about 2 weeks before a race, epecting better support, comfort, and power transfer. I switched from a moutain shoe / m540 (spd) platform. Got lots of foot pain and numbness from this system. Had to to switch back to spd just to be able to ride my bike. Make sure they are ok with your feet!

Shimano m540s

[Apr 16, 2006]
Scott Anderson

Strength:

Great looks, adjustment, stiffness, light weight. Good power transfer for the pedals.

Right foot goes numb after about 20 miles.

I shopped for quite awhile before spending this much on a pair of shoes. I've been pretty satisfied with them; except my right foot goes numb in them. I have a pair of Sidi Genius 4 that never numbed my feet.

Sidi Genius 4, Diadora Cosmo

[Sep 05, 2005]
High Gear

Strength:

Top quality made shoe. Stiff sole. Super ventiltion. Nice holding system.

Straos are a little stiff in the beginning.

I looked for a long time before purchasing these shoes. I needed a wide shoe with enough room so that my orthotics would fit. The two top end Shimano shoes offer a standard as well as a wide. I have to say I am VERY happy with them. The sole is super stiff and comfortable. This is the most ventilated shoe I have ever had. The holding system, two strap & buckle hold my foot great. Some people have complained that the straps are too rigid but they get better in time.

Sidi, Northwave and Diadora