Sidi Freeze Shoes

Freeze

Lined with cozy fleece, this ultimate winter shoe also has a full length neoprene cuff with Velcro closure. Millennium sole. 38–50, even sizes only.

Vitix2   Road Racer [Apr 30, 2006]
Strength:

Sidi fit and performance, Good for temperatures from 25 - 55 degrees, great in wet weather.

Narrow, Feet can still become cold, relatively flexible sole

Well, for me, they beat booties. However, they are not the ultimate answer to cold feet during winter rides. As you know, booties can be bulky and are generally a pain. Sidi's Freeze are decent shoes and serve teir intended purpose of keeping your feet warm.

They are good down to about 32 degrees with regular winter cycling socks. Below that, I usually feel just fine by sticking toe warmers over the front. I've tried thick - heavy socks, but what you gain in insulation warmth, you loose in circulation warmth.

These are basically a pair of high top sidis with a light fleece lining. So they don't offer a whole bunch of room for thick socks.

I wrestled for a while before deciding to purchase these. $175 for shoes just to wear in the winter when I get my least amount of in-saddle time seemed like an excess. Then I started looking at a decent pair of booties and realized that they were about a third of the price. Moreover, anyone with winter experience on the bike knows that booties have a short shelf life. $50 every other season or $175 for winter shoes that will last for many years.

I have not been disappointed, but these things don't eliminate cold feet issues.