Specialized 05 Pro Carbon Road Shoe Shoes

Specialized 05 Pro Carbon Road Shoe Shoes

A no compromise road shoe for serious road racers, but comfortable enough for all-day rides

[Sep 03, 2012]
utahman

Strength:

Lightweight

Poor Design. Uncomfortable

Problem #1
My experience with Specialized has been mostly negative. What do they specialize in ? Apparently Asian sweatshop manufacturing of inferior quality disposable cycling products.

Let me explain: I bought a pair of new Specialized high-end road cycling shoes. Within ten minutes out of the box the sole began to separate from the upper section at the heel. All I did was take a few steps on a carpeted floor to get used to the feel & to determine strap adjustment. I immediately took the shoes off and noticed there was barely any glue holding these shoes together.

I decided to go straight to the source instead of to a local bike shop (I received these as a gift & didn’t have a receipt anyway). I ended up taking these Chinese made, top-of-the-line shoes to a large Specialized distribution center which happens to be nearby.

I will at least give Specialized credit for exchanging the defective pair for new ones.
They did the right thing.

Problem #2
So now with my new pair of Specialized Pro Carbon Road shoes featuring “Body Geometry” - after a few minutes of hard riding my feet begin to “fall asleep ”.
I‘ve tried everything to remedy: loosen the straps, change shoe inserts, shift my riding position, lower the saddle, change the saddle, and change pedals. Still, I have this very bizarre experience of having circulation cut off.

HOWEVER - and this is the real interesting revelation - when I wear my Sidi Genius shoes everything is OK...no problems of any kind regardless of any changes to the bike or my riding style. I’ve also owned Cannondale & Shimano and although they were not as comfortable as Sidi, at least they didn’t cause this kind of irritation / damage to my feet.

Conclusion: Something is seriously wrong with the design of these Specialized shoes.
You want the best cycling shoes ? Get Sidi.

[Jun 14, 2010]
peter Stevens

Strength:

Stiff, light, look ok, very adjustable.

The insole does nothing for people with high arches (I didn't think mine were that high . . . they seem pretty regular to me)

These are great shoes - but if you have high arches: listen up! My first ride with these shoes was terribly painful after 40 miles or so. I replaced the insoles with Superfeet and BINGO! No soreness, great ride, no hot spots, very good feel comfort and power-wise.

Specialized Comp (from 3 years ago) - nylon sole.

[Dec 09, 2008]
supafreak

Strength:

Comfortable. Great fit for medium volume foot. Stiff, efficient carbon sole. Durable, quality construction. (no rips, tears or loose threads after 20,000 miles.) Still white. Great Value.

Insole/ footbed. I replaced the stock footbed with a custom Rocket Seven carbon footbed which is an Awesome Value!
No replaceable heel bumpers.

Excellent shoes. Durable, comfortable, attractive, stiff sole, conforming uppers. I've been wearing these shoes for over 20,000 miles and have found outstanding performance with them. I'm tempted to try the Sidi 6.6 carbons but I don't think the Sidi's can improve much on these Pro Carbon's.

Sidi Genius 3, Carnac, Shimano w/carbon sole (really stiff!) Old Northwave (crap), 1992 Diadora = ugly comfort

[Jun 07, 2008]
Luc Louis-Seize

Strength:

Nervous,compact frame,quick respond

To much flex in bottom bracket.

This is one off the best bike I ever try.Nervous and agile.Required to be in shape because it demand to have good legs.

?????

[Apr 30, 2008]
Kevin

Strength:

No flex at all!!!! I can tell a huge difference from my old shoes.

Not too comfy to walk in due to no flex. The footbed is not the greatest. I used my own.

Being too cheap and really disliking to adjust in a new pair of shoes, I had a non carbon pair of Sidi shoes for years. I now have a pair of carbon soled shoes and it is an immense difference. I can tell that I am more powerfull. Specilized euro size runs a little different from others. I usually take a 48, but I take a 47 in these.

First pair of carbon shoes.

[Jul 03, 2007]
Christopher Dalin

Strength:

No flex, instantly comfy.

???

I asked for a pair of entry level shoes, after spending $2300 on an "06 Madone 5.2. When they didn't fit, the salesman gave me these to try on. OMG. He gave them to me for the price of the entry levelers I was looking at ($69). I'll keep these as long as they will stay on my feet. NICE!

[Aug 14, 2006]
bb

Strength:

Very comfortable. High quality and durability (virtually no signs of wear after 9000 miles).

This is an exceptional shoe - very stiff for excellent power transfer, and perfectly comfortable for day-long rides. I was wary of the varus wedge system, particularly because I had never had any major knee/hip issues, and I didn't want to change anything too much. I'm happy to say that even the minor foot/knee aches that I used to have after long rides, and which I thought were unavoidable, have disappeared.

Adidas Frosco

[Jun 19, 2006]
Catchley

Strength:

Fit narrow feet, Body Geometry feature seem to be legit, stiff, price point is great for most any level of rider

Ratcheting closure is a little flakey

I was having some foot problems a team mate raves about his Specialized Carbon Pro's. I am a typical roadie, I don't like to change if something works. However my current shoes had developed a nastey spot that was bruising the outside of my foot. I tried new orthopedic inserts etc. but still the same problem. So, okay I'll try the Carbon Comps. Only one 80 mile HOT andFast training ride and believe me these are comfy and airy toe box right out of the box. I have a narrow foot so I always wear Italian made shoes. Not sure where these are made but an awesome fit, very stable, great power transfer. The Wedge will change your foot position and your pedaling dynamics, but once you adjust to it, it is a plus. The strap closure is a bit finicky and they are touch heavy, but oh so comfy! Change for the good

Sidi, Nike

[Apr 26, 2006]
OCRecRider

Strength:

Value, comfort, rubber heal stop to the carbon doesn't wear. LBS stocks extra buckles and insoles.

Time will tell.

Very comfortable, light, with robust power transfer. Yes, there is a difference in the hills compared to my previous Look carbon shoes. First ride was a 65-mile hilly jaunt with no hot foot. Shoes fit one size larger than the Looks -- needed to drop from a 42 to a 41.5. Even greater value with the 10-percent discount from LBS.

Look -- now discontinued in US.

[Mar 24, 2006]
cslayton

Strength:

Very stiff, very light, can be walked in with care and cafe cleats. Excellent for adjusting while riding, which I have to do. Toe box and vents are also perfect for me, I like a lot of air (toenail fungus on big toe, you did not want to know, but there are a lot of us with this and it is a factor.)

Carbon sole looks nasty after a short time, doesn't really bother me. My right side pressure ratchet has taken some hits and slips when ratcheting unless I go very slow. Stack is high but I prefer that because I like my seat high.

Immediately comfortable shoe, with half-sizes, just right for me. I have a narrow foot and have to ride with thicker socks than most riders, but only two shoes fit me out of the box, these and some Sidis whose cleat arrangement I did not like. These were slightly more comfortable than the Sidis for me.

Climbing improved immediately and shoes are essentially not there in the flats, you are only conscious of transferring power.

The new S-Works Carbon shoe is lighter and has an improved tightening system, but they are close to $300 at the time of this writing, and by the time my Carbon Pros are worn out, I'll probably be dead.

Shimano Rock Shocks, stripped for road