Boure Men's PRO ELITE Shorts Shorts

Men's PRO ELITE Shorts

This premier bicycling short features heavyweight 8-oz. PRO ELITE nylon/lycra®, ENHANCED 8-PANEL design, and AirTech® Campione chamois to provide unparalleled support and comfort for the most demanding rides.

djetelina   Recreational Rider [Oct 29, 2007]
Strength:

VERY comfortable. Price reasonable for high-end shorts, NO sales tax or shipping expense. And they are unconditionally guaranteed to fit and ride perfect or money back. Made in the USA (Durango, CO).

None at this time. Perhaps come color options would be nice.

For the past two (2) years I have worn riding shorts purchased from a major sporting goods store here in Houston. After a few hours of riding I could not wait to rip those things off ASAP, they fit like some type of torture device. All of them fit that way, so I thought that was normal. What a change w/ the Boure shorts! Very comfortable during AND after a good long ride. Padding just right, fabric and cut obviously selected for the job. Me: 6'5", 210#.

Similar Products Used: Insport Torture Shorts
Made in China.
bw77   Recreational Rider [Sep 25, 2006]
Strength:

Heavy lycra, snug fit, no hot spots.

None.

After wearing out 3 pairs of the Pro shorts (see my earlier review), I went with a pair of the Elites. These are much better - heavier lycra, snug fit, very supportive. I just bought another pair of the Elites, as they are on sale for $80 until the end of September, free shipping. I cannot comment on how long these will last, but based on 3 months of hard use, I expect them to last a long time.

Similar Products Used: Boure Pro (see previous review), and others.
Jeff Holt   Recreational Rider [Jul 04, 2006]
Strength:

Superb fit, very soft feel to the fabric, excellent chamois insert. Great value. Made in America. Large range of sizes.

A tad light for winter wear, you'll need something more than leg warmers. Boure offers a range of winter weight clothing.

These bibs are about as perfect as they come and one of the best values in all of cycling. I am a larger rider, 6-2 and 225 pounds and finding the right shorts was a challenge. Over the years I tried just about every brand out there. Two years ago I purchased Boure's bib shorts and the search was over. The fit is superb, with a cut that feels a little baggy off the bike, but feels perfect in the saddle. The material is light and soft and breathes very well. The liner is on the thinner side, which is preferable, and is positioned only where you need it. The upper portion of the bib is my favorite, with a fit that is much less restrictive than any other bibs I have ever worn. In sum, these are great shorts at any price, but at 85 bucks a pair they're a steal.

Similar Products Used: Pearl Izumi, various Performance, Santini, Castelli, Descente, and Canari.
Jeff Holt   Recreational Rider [Jul 04, 2006]

bw77   Recreational Rider [Jun 27, 2006]
Strength:

Comfy chamois, excellent seams, great fit.

Too thin lycra does not last long enough.

I have the Pro shorts. I like the minalist suede chamois, I never have any hotspots. Seams held together. Lycra is 6oz, and does not last long enough. The pad still has plenty of miles left, but the lycra ripped. Lycra should be upgraded to 8oz, like the Elite.

Similar Products Used: Voler (didn't like the pad), Terry (they used to make men's shorts), Black Bottoms (pad did not touch my sitbones), Demarchi (again pad did not touch my sitbones).
snodog1   Triathlete [Aug 02, 2005]
Strength:

Quality, craftsmanship, fit, price

none as of yet, but as with many companies - one can only hope that the seams hold up.

When I first purchased this product I had planed on likely using there 100% no questions asked, "Buy it, Like it, or Return" Guaranty. That was about 3 months ago, I still have both pair – the elite as well as the Pro. The fabric breathes incredibly well; the contoured panels lend themselves to a great fit – both on and off the bike. And for less than ½ the price of some other companies out there, this product will be a hard one to beat! At this point I can only hope that they hold up for the long haul, and if they don’t I feel confident that the company will do whatever it can to help at that point.

Similar Products Used: Pearl, Performance - various models of each
zyppyty   Road Racer [Dec 02, 2004]
Strength:

Bombproof stitching.

Lacks good finishing details. Leg length cut may be too short for some riders.

I got the bibs and have to say I'm not really impressed with the choice of material or construction. I hate to be the only reviewer not giving the Boure folks a perfect score but there are certain details I look for in good shorts and I didn't find some important ones here. Why the big seam ridges inside the legs? The seams are not recessed in the leg panels so after an hour or so I get those uncomfortable grooves molded into my thighs that turn downright painful after a few hours. Any other pro level brand would not omit this detail. On the other hand the seams look very sturdy and will probably last forever. I'm guessing they will last forever but mostly because I'm not going to be wearing them too much. Boure also uses woven elastic as leg grippers (basically thin rubber bands) which, as anyone who's ridden more than a half hour at a time knows, doesn't feel good. It's not an uncommon detail to find even with more expensive shorts but the leg length is about 2 inches shorter on the Boures than on my other shorts so when I roll them up to get the needlessly biting gripper crap off my stinging red-ridged thighs I end up with some really short shorts. (Okay, so just wear more sunblock, right?) I know this is a personal preference, but I like the leg cut to cover most of the thigh and compress the muscles. The bib straps are made from a polyester mesh that starts out being 2 1/2 inches wide (according to their website, mine are about a little less than 2 after washing) which sounds like a nice comfortable width but ends up being less than an inch wide when stretched over the shoulders. This might sound like a minor detail but again, after wearing them for a while, this is the kind of thing that makes shorts less comfortable and feels kind of cheap. It's not painful, it's just not nice like, say, my Sugois, or Castellis, or Garneaus, or Nalinis. It's not like I'm a weekend warrior with a gut stretching the bibs down to the top bar and according to Boures sizing chart I'm a perfect dead center medium. What gives? The chamois is pretty comfy and seems a little thinner than the average. All in all I wish I could recommend these and especially because I like to support American products. I think all riding clothes are overpriced these days and Boure's prices seem relatively reasonable but in this case I think it's a matter of getting what you pay for. I'm going to opt for other more expensive and more comfortable brands even if it means owning fewer pairs.

Similar Products Used: Sugio, Nalini, Castelli, Louis Garneau, Bergamo, etc.
mscookla   Recreational Rider [Sep 02, 2004]
Strength:

Padding only where it is needed is a great idea. I have not gotten the rubbing on the inside of my legs that I get with other brands. The construction of the shorts for a riding position is a plus. I was expecting them to feel funny when I am off the bike, but haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary.

Haven't found any. Hopefully they will be durable enough to last as long as the others I have used.

I like the Elite's very much. The material is very soft, the leg stitching is not rigid, and the padding is only where it is needed.

Similar Products Used: Pearl Izumi Hind
Avenolpey   Road Racer [Aug 30, 2004]
Strength:

Quality of materials and workmanship. Great folks to buy from. On the phone they were very interested in my opinion of their products and how they worked for me.

I bought 3 pairs of the Mens' Pro Bib. This is a more traditional chamois than the Elite Bib and shorts, and is a great fit for 3 plus hour rides. What a great product and great company to do business with. You get $230 bib for $90. Also great jerseys, leg warmers, wind proof, rain jackets and other accessories.

Similar Products Used: Pearl Izumi, Assos, Cannondale, Specialized
MD Jeff   Racer [Apr 29, 2004]
Strength:

Exceptional fit, less restrictive cut, low bulk, but highly effective padding. For 80 dollars a great package (even at twice that cost a great package). Made in America.

None---Zero---Zip---Nada.

This review is for the Boure Pro bib shorts, which are about 20 bucks cheaper. Excellent bibs! Cannot vouch for durability yet with only a couple of dozen rides, but from a comfort standpoint these are fantastic shorts. As the manufacturer's site describes, the fit of the shorts when not on the bike is deliberately somewhat loose, even a little baggy in spots. The minute you get into the saddle all that changes and the shorts fit perfectly. The cut also emphasizes a lower, less encasing design around the midsection. The material is supportive, but is noticeably softer and less constrictive feeling than most shorts I have worn. Between the weight of the material and the reduced midsection coverage, the shorts were much cooler than normal during 85+ degree days. The chamois insert is on the light side for padding, which I prefer over the thick, bulky pads common to some shorts. I imagine newer riders might find the padding too light. All in all a great package for a very reasonable price. The fact that the shorts are made in America is a nice bennie. The company even shipped the shorts for free.

Similar Products Used: Performance Elite Shorts, Shaversports, Pearl Izumi, Giordana.