Pearl Izumi Attack Shorts

Pearl Izumi Attack Shorts

Pearl Izumi Attack Shorts: A Pearl Izumi favorite, the ergonomically designed eight-panel men's Attack Short delivers comfort, durability, and a great fit...

[Aug 08, 2015]
Jerry Gerson

Strength:

Since they are now made in China they have no strengths

The old Attack shorts were wonderful. China shorts are just crap. The china,en have scrimped on the material and now the mediums are smaller and so are the large . They scrimped on everything and the fit is terrible. I bought two new ones this year and I sadly regret it. Wish I had my money back.

Stop making them in China before you lose your whole market

[Mar 24, 2011]
cebass

Strength:

everything you need in a bike short. BUYER BEWARE!!! the new models are BAD.

I had a pair of attack shorts I bought a few years ago and liked them. Good for all but 80+mile rides. I use PI pro shorts for long rides. Anyway I wore out the old attack shorts (threadbare in back) and got a new pair. Very disappoiinted in new shorts. Material is less stretchy (decreased spandex %), leg grippers don't work as well so, legs ride up, padding is more bulky than old style and is now a cheap foam type that bunches up in the back like a diaper full of cr&p. The padding also is less comfortable. So, PI made the shorts cheaper and less comfortable to save a few $, but they lost me as a customer.

PI pro, PI attack (3+ year old version)

[Feb 22, 2011]
johnlisa5135

Strength:

Good entry level short for new road bikers going up to 30-40 miles. I don't think you'll find better at $50.

Same as everyone else. Pad is like a diaper, seams split open (5'9", 145lb, so no fat jokes, please), sometimes catch on saddle when standing or getting off bike.

This was my first road bike short, purchased in 2004, from the store that preceded Dick's (I forget their name). The difference between the Attack and the $20 pair I had was dramatic, and for the first time I was able to bike 30-40 miles in relative comfort.

Ah, how standards change with experience! When the front seam split, I bought a pair of Sugoi RS Flex shorts. They were $100, and WAY better constructed and more comfortable. My wife fixed the PI shorts (at least 3 times), but I only use them on 8-10 mile rides now. For casual rides of 10-30 miles, I used the Sugoi shorts, and recommend them over the Attack shorts unconditionally.

Then I bought a Cervelo RS, and saw a pair of Cervelo Test Team bib shorts. I'd never tried bibs, and these are made by Castelli (cervelo branded Castelli Free Aero Bibs). They were a revelation. The Progetto X2 chamois is incomparable; much better than the Sugoi (which I still consider terrific). The non-elastic waistband improves breathing, and the non-elastic leg grippers hold perfectly. The bibs keep the chamois in place better than any short could, and the fabric breathes like nothing else I've tried. Since the Cervelo Test Team folded, I was able to buy 2 pairs for $250, which is about half the price of the Castelli Free Bibs without the team logos. Such a deal! I wear them on all rides of over an hour.

Sugoi RS shorts, Castelli Free Bib shorts.

[Oct 14, 2010]
Dennis French

Strength:

Good quality materials,fit well. I liked the lower leg band. They fit lose at fist and then seem to stick to the leg well.

they irritate both sides of my rump. The string pulled trough the hole one time and it was a pain to get it back out. Tided a extra knot and it never happened again.

I have used these PI for about 2 months and at first had no problem with them. I have increase my cadence speed (50rpm to 65rpm) to keep up with the club I joined 2 weeks ago. Now I get irritation where the ridge of the padding stops on both sides. It's really painful to ride more than 40 miles. I thought that it might be the soap I use to wash them. Not the case! I broke out my old schwinn shorts and had no problem doing 40 miles. I think the high ridge of the padding causes a sharp corner to rub up against you soft tissue rubbing it raw. Just my opinion. On the bright side, Performance refunded the price for in store credit!! Go Performance!!! I bought a cheaper pair of Performance shorts, hope they solve the problem. Seems as tough others have the same problem as I do with the PI brand. I am a 200 pound rider. Was curious if the others that have the issues I did are in the 200# range? I have always liked PI clothing in the past, and am sorry to write a bad review of the attack shorts.

performance,schwinn,sugo

[Aug 18, 2010]
William

Strength:

VERY comfortable on any distance ride. Did a 116 mile tour of Okinawa last year with no problems.

Maybe a little more pricey than other shorts, but well worth every penny.

In my opinion Pearl Izumi are the best cycling shorts you can get for the money. I've got one or two PI shorts and they are more comfortable and wear better than the other three brands I have. You get what you pay for and Pearl Izumi puts out a top notch product.

Louis Garneau and Adidas

[Jun 09, 2009]
Steve

Strength:

comfort

stitching

I have used this short for about 5000 miles. I have no soreness issues and think the short is great. I have had stitching issues with the chamios where I had to have it re stitched. considering getting a couple new pairs to replace the ones i have.

[Jul 26, 2008]
tmansbighit

Strength:

Durable, thick padding provides comfort.

Chaffing due to oversized chamois

These shorts are very comfortable. I've been riding these shorts for a couple thousand miles over the last 2 years and have found them to hold up very well. Recently I am finding that the odor does not wash out so the antimicrobial fibers must be beginning to wear out.
These shorts are a bit bulky compared to other manufactures. This causes chafing to my inner thighs where the chamois is actually rubbing. This really isn't an issue unless I go on mulitple day long rides.

[Nov 27, 2007]
Kevin Lewis

Strength:

excellent price point short

Damn it, it is a DIAPER.

It feels like a diaper, fits like a diaper, therefore it is a diaper.

Either these shorts or no shorts at all.

[Aug 30, 2007]
old sport

Strength:

Nice, stretchy fit that's cut high in back, low in front, and follows my body. Well shaped chamois pad. Drawstring waist.

When I started serious cycling our shorts were made of wool, so I never thought I'd be complaining about a hot bum. On hot days these feel hotter than my cheap Performance Century shorts, especially under the chamois. I think the chamois is so thick and over-engineered that it isn't breathing or wicking moisture.

Also, the fabric is easily torn.

These are nicely constructed shorts whose design just doesn't work for me. Next time, I'm going for low-priced bibs, something that used to seemed to work well in the past.

Performance Century shorts, Ultima bib shorts, Pearl bib tights. The tights are terrific, probably owing to being used in cooler weather. The Performance shorts certainly have their limitations, but I'm not complaining for $19. The Ultima bibs were probably the most comfortable, but the seams blew out after a few thousand miles.

[Aug 07, 2007]
Porcupines93

Strength:

Seem stitching is high quality and does not leave indents on the legs.

Padding is too thick. I prefer elastic chamois which this does not have. Seem to run big.

These shorts are very bulky and loose fitting. I agree with earlier reviews about the padding feeling like a diaper. The proportions seem to be larger than other manufacturers. I'm a 33' waist using a medium size short and I find the shorts loose, especially the leg grippers. Padding has left me with irritations.

Nike Team, Seguoi