Assos ProsLine Airblock Tight Tights/Pants

ProsLine Airblock Tight

When in 1976 Toni Maier - Moussa founded ASSOS his prime objective was not to make money but to create the finest most comfortable functional innovative and durable cycling apparel possible. The kind that serious cyclists ...

kevin32   Road Racer [Jan 07, 2010]
Strength:

Great fit and good at blocking the wind.

Expensive. Not really usefull below 20 degrees for me.

Best non-padded tights I've used to date. Live in the upper midwest and can ride 1-2 hours in these with temps between 20-30 degrees. Any colder and it's trainer time.

Similar Products Used: Pearl Izumi
vsimmons   Recreational Rider [Apr 05, 2008]
Strength:

comfort, fit, quality

buy them

Where I live, It usually doesn't drop below about 40. I use these when it's 40-55 degrees, and they are awesome.

Bob F.   Road Racer [Jul 03, 2007]
Strength:

Rugged construction, easy on-off.

Not truly insulating by themselves. Sizing is misleading. I bought the large and should have gone up one size (my measurements are 6 feet tall, 165 lbs, large quads).

PRICE! I paid $220. That's twice what they're worth.

These tights are a huge disappointment. I currently live in SE Virginia and the winters are not what you'd call brutal, though we often get runs of days in the upper 20s and low 30s in Jan/Feb. I bought the Assos tights for days such as these because my regular lycra tights with an undergarment just didn't cut it. I soon found that these Airblock 851 tights did not live up to their reputation (or their price!). At about 40 degrees my quads and glutes became wooden with cold after about an hour in the saddle. By the time I got home I could barely lift my leg over the bike to dismount. I didn't shake the cold until I'd taken a hot shower and even then I could feel the skin was still chilled to the touch. I have no idea what these would be like in REALLY cold weather, but I shudder to think about it. I think they require a base layer to be effective, but that seems to defeat the purpose. Then we're just talking about an insulating air layer.

Similar Products Used: Lycra stretch tights from various manufacturers.
  Road Racer [Feb 04, 2004]
Strength:

Airblock panels very effective Comfy- stirrups good vs. wind, straps don't dig in to shoulders, etc.

Mild pilling after 15-20 rides, not sure if this will become a problem. Like all Assos products, prohibitively expensive(I know it co$t$ a lot to manufacture in Switzerland, but please...) - about $180 list price

These pad-less tights are the best I've used to date, the airblock panels are extremely effective. I've been comfortable in conditions as cool as 20 F, give or take a couple degrees, which as I recall is somewhat better than the manufacturer's claims. But, as I got these in November, I don't know how far above 55 or so they'd be usable. Spring will tell. Overall, an excellent and much needed addition to my collection, as I commute throughout the entire winter.

Similar Products Used: Castelli bib tights, couple of varieties(also very good)
RoadDog   Road Racer [Jan 31, 2004]
Strength:

Comfort, warmth, function. XC skied in 5 degree F temps, kept me warm, wind protection and provides freedom of movement. No pad on this tight for versatility.

Expensive but expect it to last a long time.

Excellent fabric, outstanding construction, great style, unbeatable performance.

Similar Products Used: Castelli bib tights, Pearl Izumi tights (multiple versions), Moonstone tights
bburgbiker   Cross Country Rider [Apr 06, 2003]
Strength:

Quality of materials Attention to detail Assos style Lots of colors to choose from Fit (although be sure to try on first because of Euro sizing) Comfort in wide range of temperatures

The zipper on the Airblock jacket rubs against the tights and showed wear. I remedyed this by placing a piece of electric tape over the lower piece of the zipper and the wear has stopped.

I use these tights primarily for road use and have worn them when necessary since the beginning of January. Temperature at the time of my rides ranged from 20 F to 50 F. These bib tights are surprisingly comfortable within this wide range of temperature. Since there are large windstop panels strategicely placed in the knee and theigh areas windy days are not a problem. The areas without windstop material have a very soft microfleece lining that is very comfortable. I wear these tights in conjunction with the Assos Airblock Prosline Jacket and Airblock Prosline shoe covers. This combination should get most people through all but the coldest winter climates with proper base layering.