Cinelli GEL Cork Ribbon Bar Tape

Cinelli GEL Cork Ribbon Bar Tape

Gel strip for comfort. Cork

[Apr 06, 2008]
djetelina

Strength:

Comfy, absorb vibration well. Large dia compared to stock tape.

Nothing yet.

Just bought a box of Cinelli gel/cork tape to replace the stock Bontrager tape on my Trek 5200 carbon. Works well to absorb railroad track vibration, larger diameter works well w/ my monster sized hands, grip well. Put 145 mile on this this weekend, seem to be better than the stock Bontrager.

Bontrager stock tape

[Nov 30, 2007]
pcp3bob

Strength:

Strength, elasticity, comfort. Longevity yet to be tested.

Pricey, but so far worth it.

I found this tape easy to install for a first timer (after rewrapping 3-4 times due to rookie status). I was worried about it tearing, but after repeated stretching it went on tight with no tearing. Very comfortable and grippy on bumpy rides. Haven't tried it in wet conditions.

Bontrager cork.

[Jul 30, 2007]
pde

Strength:

Smooths out a ride very nicely

None yet!

Installed a set of these to replace the stock Bontrager tape (not sure what variety) that came on my Klein Q-Pro.

That bike has a pretty rigid fork. Switching to this tape moved the ride from "bonejarring" to "not too bad, at all".

Various cork and other tapes.

[Jul 13, 2007]
Mr. Versatile

Strength:

Comfort.

Wears too quickly, (tears & frays), about medium difficulty to wrap.

I would never buy this again. I've had it on my bike for about a month, and it's already tearing & frayed. It's comfortable, but that's about the only positive thing I can say about it. Aside from comfort, this is the worst tape I've ever used.

Sampson Fat Wrap (still my fave), too many others to list.

[Mar 25, 2007]
Veronikafan

Strength:

Easy to wrap
Perfect thickness and cushioning

Abrasion resistance could be better

I always hated the original Cinelli cork tape, because it would tear if you stretched it too much when wrapping the bars, and also because the adhesive backing made it impossible to rewrap if you didn't do it perfectly the first time. This product is an improvement on both counts. You can stretch it very tightly to adjust the thickness and amount of cushioning you want, and there's no adhesive backing. It looks and feels very nice. I used Profile tape for several years before trying this. I think the Profile product is a little more durable and abrasion-resistant than this tape, and costs less to buy. However, the Cinelli gel is a little more cushioning and is a bit more grippy. On the whole, a good product, and a hundred times better than the original CInelli cork tape

Profile Design bar wrap, Cinelli cork

[Mar 05, 2006]
Bloatedpig

Strength:

Padding & durability

The best 20-bucks you will ever spend. Well worth the extra cost. Outstanding product.

[Oct 15, 2005]
Redhed100

Strength:

Very comfortable, long lasting, great re-wrapability.

None!

I love this bar tape. I have the yellow which shows more dirt, but I still love it. It was very easy to wrap and rewrap, since I attempted my first wrap about 10 times before I was satisfied. In 6 months after using the tape, my inexperience with wrapping showed, and I attempted another rewrap. It was perfect and I had no problems at all.

Whatever crap came on my bike from the factory, and Bontrager Gel.

[Jun 09, 2004]
sbolden

Strength:

Very cushy, held up well to lots of riding and cleaning. good enough that I stopped wearing gloves when I rode.

No adhesive backing meant that the tape slipped and seperated over time and I had to rewrap both sides.

Very nice cushy tape.

Serfas, Cinelli (non gel) and profile.

[Jun 03, 2004]
innergel

Strength:

Easy to install, dampens the road buzz, thicker than regular cork tape, comfortable.

A little pricey at $20, but I only change my tape every year or so, so no big deal. The red color is a little on the bright side, but that should fade with some usage.

I bought this tape to replace my beat up and faded Profile tape. The guy at the lbs suggested it to help dampen some slight buzz on the front end. It was also my first attempt at wrapping my own bars, and it was a piece of cake. The tape is plenty strong and stretches enough to get a good wrap. It took a couple of wrap/unwrap/rewrap cycles to get it on evenly, but that was most likely my inexperience. There is a noticeable difference in the thickness of this tape compared to the Profile tape, but I like it. I have big hands and long fingers, so the extra thickness makes it more comfortable for me. The road buzz seems to be less as well.

Profile bar tape, whatever brand came on the bike

[Dec 04, 2003]
Starkie

Strength:

Easy install, comfortable.

Somewhat limited in colors/patterns available compared to other brands and models.

Very comfortable, much better than the factory tape on my Klein Q-Carbon. My fingers still end up tingling but far less than before. Easy to do a good job wrapping as it's possible to re-do the since they aren't adhesive backed. Haven't tried them in pouring rain yet.

Bontrager