ESI Grips Unwrapped Bar Tape

ESI Grips Unwrapped Bar Tape

160 grams

[Sep 27, 2010]
BeansBaxter

Expensive, slippery when wet, difficult to install

These are an interesting departure from the standard bar tape but after 1000 miles, including a sprint triathlon and two centuries, I can't say I'm thrilled with them, especially consider the new, higher price. Let's start at the beginning.

Installation:
It took a lot more effort than bar tape to install. I used copious amounts of hand sanitizer which helped but it still took a large amount of time and effort and an assistant (which ESI does note will be necessary).

After getting the first section on, I realized that the thick and thin sides weren't that easy to differentiate when installed so I marked the ends of the other sections to make sure I got them oriented correctly.

Use:
They are comfortable but I did not notice any difference in comfort compared to good cork tape.

ESI claims that they are "slip-proof" but I often ride without gloves and found that I would slip as my hands got sweaty or wet. In the same riding conditions, I did not experience this with cork tape.

Durability is a claimed benefit and I'd probably concur as they seem to be holding up fine so far. Honestly though, I haven't had a problem with cork tape durability.

Maintenance:
If I need to replace my levers or swap stems I'm going to have to remove the silicone tape and fight to remove at least two sections of grip. Once my maintenance is done, the I get to go through part of the installation hassle again and find more silicone tape somewhere to finish it off.

Is that easier than unwinding bar tape? I guess it depends on your perspective. All I know is that now I'm trying harder to avoid any changes that will involve messing with my grips.

Company:
ESI seems like a decent company with a good back-story. Unfortunately, as stated on their website "No Refunds or Exchanges. All sales are final." Now, I knew that before buying so caveat emptor and all that but given the cost of these grips compared to most bar tape, it's a bitter pill to swallow when you find they aren't what you had hoped they'd be.

Color:
This doesn't affect my review in any way but just be aware that the blue is pretty light. I was hoping for a darker shade and it's often hard to tell what color something truly is from a picture on the web.

In conclusion, there's not much to justify spending $51 on these grips. The slipping issue in particular is a problem and I'll probably end up taking them off now that I feel I've given them a thorough chance. Anybody want to buy some used ESI Grips Unwrapped (assuming I can get them off without destroying them)?

Cinelli cork bar tape, no-name synthetic bar tape, Bontrager cork bar tape

[Feb 14, 2010]
Appendage

Strength:

Good grip in all conditions. Comfy, absorbs road buzz. Does not unravel, twist or slip. Looks cool. I've had ESI grips on my MTBs for a long time and they've help up well.

It will be tough to change brake housing with these in place, but I think I've figured out a way to do it (haven't had to try it yet). If your brake housing is shot or cheap, I recommend replacing it before installing the grips. Does not affect changing cables or shifter housing.

I disagree with the reviewer who said the ESI Unwrapped are "extraordinarily hard" to install. Yeah, it's a bigger deal than wrapping tape. You have to disconnect your brake cables and remove your brifters. It's not that hard, it's just a hassle. Just give yourself plenty of time and FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS. If you want a quick and easy tape job, look elsewhere.

Gel tape.

[Dec 17, 2007]
oxidefilm

Strength:

Great Feel
Durability

Not so Pretty
Minimal padding on the top sides of the drops.
Installation

Nice Grips overall. Extraordinarily hard to install. Once installed, good luck repositioning your levers or replacing cables. They have a great feel and do last but my biggest complaint is the lack of cushioning. This is the only reason I switched back to cork. There is NO WAY to get gel under these, which would have solved the problem.

CORK

[Mar 17, 2007]
Nikolas

Strength:

They look nice, clean smooth.
They are extremely comfortable, with or without gloves.
They seem to be very durable.

I haven't found any weaknesses. That's the way some things are: Very excellent products exist.

I admit that I was suspicious when I read these reviews. But no more. These silicone tubes are both comfortable and durable. I suppose that one day in the future even these break and then I must buy a new set, but today the grips still look new. Why would I even think of buying tapes? I can't consider about giving anything else but five stars.

Ordinary tapes. Well actually they are not similar. They are tapes.

[May 15, 2006]
Brian

Strength:

Just what the doctor ordered. I couldn't think up a better grip if I had to.

None.

These are GREAT!! No unwrapping of bar tape, no stickiness of the tape adhesive, no uneven surfaces, no slipping when wet and sweaty, no fatigue on long rides or cruddy roads. Just comfy grips that last forever.

Everything else.

[May 13, 2006]
plewse

Strength:

Superior grip and comfort. Much more durable than any tape. Easy to clean and material "breaks in" and gets better with age.

New installation technique will challenge some the first time. However, this isn't really a weakness since it is pretty easy with patience and the outcome is simply incomparable to alternative materials.
More expensive, but this material will last several times longer than tape so who cares?

I just got the ESI grips on and they are unbelievable! I have used their MTB grips for 2 seasons with great success and the road grips are everything I hoped they would be. Installation will take a little longer than tape the first time, but you will be rewarded with the ultimate comfort and control! I am now the envy of my training partners for sure.

Virtually every kind of tape.

[May 07, 2006]
Charles Jenkins

Strength:

Stickey. Long lasting. Durable. Cool colors.

Still not on enough bikes to everyone better get past there eliteism attitudes and get with the program. There are no weaknesses as of yet, and I don't see any in the future.

The stuff really works. Once you get them on they don't move. ESI's grips have no comparison. No more tape that starts to stink and get slippery from use. I put over 3000 miles on a set of grips and the only reason I changed them is because I replaced the cables when I built up my new frame. Now I am going on 5 monthes and countless miles on the new grips and no sign of wear at all. Just a good scrubbing once in a while and they look feel and (Smell) like new.

Crappy bar tape. (All kinds and flavors)

[May 03, 2006]
jillybean

Strength:

Wow! These grips rock! They certainly beat bar tape, which tends to slide around and need to be rewound. You don't have to worry about that with these. Nor do you really NEED gloves because these grips are very "cushy". I have no fatigue anymore after a long ride.

None. They're awesome!

A perfect alternative to the traditional cork bar tape. Gripy, cushy, no need to rewind like the "regular" tape. A great product.

traditional old cork bar tape

[Apr 25, 2006]
Ron Castia

Strength:

Very sticky, no more slipping, or coming unraveled (stupid tape). Easy on the hands.

Minor challenge to get on as cables must be routed underneath. Hey, if I can do it with Campy, you Shimanodorks should have no problem.
Gary says use rubbing alcohol, I prefer Simple Green. SG stays slippy and doesn't dry during instalation. Next day, all dry and good to go.

After using the grips on my Mt.Bike I had been bugging Gary to get the Road Bike version going. He did, and I was first in line. I have had them on since Sea Otter of 05' and will never ride on tape again. With the dampening characteristics, I no longer have to wear padded gloves.Racing Copperoppolis RR (California's Hell of the North) was a breeze, no more white knuckle decents and sore shoulders.

No such animal.

[Apr 20, 2006]
Adam Hart

Strength:

Vibration killing effect. Match with a carbon bar and you will never get sore hands again.

ZERO!

This is the last set of grips you will ever buy for your bike unless you buy another set in a differnt color for the same bike. I have over 2000 miles on these road grips and they still look and feel like new. Even when wet, you will not loose your grip. No more lumppy bar tape. These grips will never loose shape or there great feel!

Just about all kinds of bar tape and bar gels