Fizik Dual Bar Tape

Dual

Nothing makes a year-old bike look new like fresh bar tape. And sometimes the monochrome look isn't enough, which is why Fizik makes their ever-popular Microtex Handlebar Tape in a duo-color design. It's known as the Dual Handlebar Tape, and each roll has a dominant color (either black or white) with a thin border made from a secondary color. The secondary color has subtle Fizik logos embossed into it, along with stitching in the secondary color. "Stitching?" you might ask. Indeed, there's a double-stitched air cushion built into the Dual tape to provide added shock absorption, which works with the foam padding in the tape to kill off road vibration.The Fizik Dual Tape comes with Black Fizik finishing tape, and Fizik-logoed bar end plugs. Available in numerous color combinations.

LDR99   Road Racer [Feb 28, 2012]
Strength:

Great texture. Positive feel. Very durable. Cleans up nicely.

A little tricky to install--not a lot of stretch.

Great stuff. Looks good. Feels even better. I'm surprised that all the reviews hate it. The trick is to wrap it so the colored edge is hidden and the contrasting stitching is exposed. You need to pull hard to get it to snug up on the bends, but it is worth it. The result is a very sharp looking bar with subtle contrasting stitching as a highlight. The stitching gives a raised element to the tape resulting in a nice texture that gives good grip with a positive feel. Not too soft, just right to my road racer hands. Just don't wrap with the colored edge exposed. It will look like a candy cane.

Similar Products Used: All kinds of bar tape. Padded, no pad. Silk. Cork. A little of everything.
slythgoe   Triathlete [Mar 07, 2011]
Strength:

zero, zilch, nada!

the tape

Wow, this tape really is the WORST bar tape on the market! utter rubbish, impossible to fit - unidirectional, how stupid is that! almost as stupid as me for buying it! you have to be spot on precise to get it to fit (about 8 attempts) and once achieved it looks cr*p and feels cheap. Avoid like the plague!

Similar Products Used: I've used loads of other tapes including other fizik tape with no problems!
patmac   Recreational Rider [May 13, 2010]
Strength:

Seems strong and has stayed cleaner than most white tape.

Looks pretty cool when paired up with the matching saddle.

No cushioning.

Little grip.

Harder than most to wrap.

Barf.

Came with my Antares (which is great) and I was needing to replace my tape shortly. No cushioning, low grip and a pain to apply.

I got a lot of comments so far, but as soon as people would come near it they realized its faults.

It was free so I cannot accurately rate the value.

Similar Products Used: Many.
bdaghisallo1   Road Racer [Sep 17, 2009]
Strength:

Durable, grippy in the black/gray.

My rating is for the black/gray.

Very tough to wrap compared to most other tapes and Fizik's normal tape.

White/blue tape is awful.

A mixed review for sure. I have used the black/gray tape for a good while and it is nice. Firm with some cushion and nice and grippy when it's wet.

I just tried the white/blue and it's awful! No cushioning whatsoever and it's very slippery. I think the difference is that the black/gray is like the soft finish on the regular fizik tape whilst the white/blue is not.

I am sure the white/blue will stay clean a good long while, but it only lasted one ride on my bars.

I am off to get some more of the black/gray!

Jerry Gladstone   Recreational Rider [Sep 15, 2009]
Strength:

Seems very durable, good tackiness.

Little cushion, takes real effort to get a good quality wrap.

Nice looking and reasonably priced. Just the right amount of tackiness, but little cushioning effect. Best if you want a lot of direct feel.

Similar Products Used: Orbea Tape
chbarr   Recreational Rider [Jul 19, 2009]
Strength:

Feels cushy.

Difficult to install. No directions--no biggy normally, as I've put on tape before. However, it is unidirectional, so some guidance is necessary. I can't even find a pic of it installed on the internet. It was also tough to work with.

But, once you struggled, you've made your bike ugly.

My LBS was out of the cork ribbon I prefer, and recommended this. I debated it, as well as going to a different shop. I decided to try something different.

What a mistake.

Since I already installed it, I can't return it. If I could, I'd be in good shape. However, I didn't realize the horror until I had it installed. It made my bike go from beautiful to hideous. I am trying to decide if I want to spend another $15 or so to get cork tape like I like, or simply give up cycling. There is no way I'd be seen on a bike with this junk.

Similar Products Used: Cinelli and Salsa cork wrap
Tahoo   Road Racer [Jul 08, 2009]
Strength:

Solid durable feel, works great with Fizik bar gel for nice combination of firmness and damping

Requires a bit more patience when wrapping

I have to admit this is probably the least forgiving tape I’ve tried in terms of application. The upside is that the tape has a very durable feel to it. You do have to work the tape pretty tightly, but it feels as if you could pull in it with tons of force and it wouldn’t break.
I purchased the tape and Fizik Bar gel separately for the color options, and applied them on a new set of alloy bars (went cheap on bars to try out shallow drops). The resulting feel is really nice and I’m looking forward to spending a lot of time on the road with it over the coming months.
The gel and tape combined do “bulk up” the bar a bit, but I like that feel and the amount of damping and cush is really nice. It has a much firmer feel under hand than a double wrap of Profile or some of the gel tapes.
My tape may have been on the shelf for a while, as the “no stick” strip pulled the adhesive backing off the tape completely rather than leaving adhesive on the tape. I’m actually glad it did, as the gel application and a tight wrap seem more than enough to prevent any slippage so far. I also like the idea that I can take the tape off and re-wrap a couple of times if need be, without any sticky residue. The tape itself feels like it’d last for years.