Fizik Microtex Bar Tape

Microtex

The difference between an enjoyable ride and a miserable one, may come down to the bar tape you decide to apply to your bars. The Fizik handlebar tape is made of microtex, which is durable, strong, stretch resistant, and breathable. ...

Blackbeerthepirate   [Dec 02, 2013]
Strength:

Goes on easy. Stays clean and comes in all kinds of color as long as you don't consider celeste a color. Makes you faster.

No celeste? WTF were you thinking.

It cleans up easy and the colors don't fade. The end tape that comes with it doesn't stay stuck all that long but I have some old Cinelli tape that works just fine. I tried some of their padded tape on my touring bike and I'm liking that too. When I put the red tape on, my average speed increased by .75 mph. Not much but after all, it is just bar tape. Red seems to be the fastest color followed closely by yellow. It is an internet fact that red is the fastest color.

I was on a group ride with my Bianchi Boron and when it came time for the sprint to the parking lot,I came up just short. I totally blame this on the fact that my bar tape was not Fizik celeste! Second place means you are just the first loser. I didn't get to raise the styrofoam coffee cup of victory over my head in triumph all because Fizik refuses to make their bar tape in a proper color. Get with the program Fizik. I hear Lizard Skins has celeste.

nanelson   [Nov 04, 2013]
Strength:

Grip, feel, feedback, comfortable (imo), aesthetics, low "pile"/profile, weather resistant

Little elasticity makes it more difficult to wrap. I'm not good at wrapping to begin with so I paid a pro and then did a stellar job.

Great product. I was skeptical of such a thin wrap but now I wont go back!
The only thing I might prefer is a good leather wrap, however the Microtex takes less (or no) care, is lighter, additionally saves some skin.
Some say that it is on the pricey side, honestly you're getting more than flimsy cork.
The Fizik Microtex is perhaps for the essentialist with a touch of luxury.

looigi   [Feb 15, 2012]
Strength:

Nice suede like texture isn't slippery with sweaty hands.

Not very stretchy.
Not much padding.
Pricy.

I was running Deda carbon pattern bar tape on one of my bikes and it was OK except for being very slippery with sweaty gloveless hands. I chose to replace it with Fizik Microtex tape. This stuff has a feel like suede leather is not slippery at all. It is not stretchy at all so took some extra care and pulling to get it to lie flat around the bar bends and shifter bases. It's also fairly thin and doesn't provide much padding, but that's fine as far as I'm concerned.

Alessandro   Road Racer [Apr 08, 2011]
Strength:

Light, cool look, pleasant to touch.

Hard to place (doesn't stretch at all), too thin: doesn't absorb virations!

Very nice looking tape, feels like suede, stylish but totally uneffective when it's up to absorb vibrations.
If you have a comfy bar (like a blade shaped bar) then it will not affect your ride, but if you have a classic, superlight racing bar, then you will feel the roughness of the road directly in your wrists!
To be purchased only with the gel stickers!!!

Sprocketboy   Recreational Rider [Dec 14, 2010]
Strength:

Comfortable, good-looking tape. The yellow I have is bright and attractive. The tape can be washed with dishwashing soap to come out looking good.

A little harder to install than cork tape.

I recently purchased a classic 1981 Masi Gran Criterium and wanted a nice tape to match. The Microtex was recommended by someone at the Classics Rendezvous list as looking like old-style tape but with modern comfort. It looks terrific and works like a charm. Much nicer than the plastic-y tapes used originally on these bikes.

Similar Products Used: Cinelli cork tape
dgduris   Road Racer [Oct 24, 2010]
Strength:

Great looks!

Great grippiness.

Not much stretch - so it takes a little bit of bar-taping skill to get it on the bars tightly.

Love this stuff! I out it on my cross bike with Aluminum bars and it is very grippy with just enough vibration attenuation. The best part if the suede-like surface. Looks great and is grippy.

Similar Products Used: Deda, cinelli cork....
Runr44   Road Racer [Sep 08, 2010]
Strength:

Great feel, great looks, easy to clean, easy to install.

none I can think of

Great bar tape. It almost feel like leather when you put it on. It mimics the elasticity and the surface has a similar feel. There is enough cushion to make if comfortable, but it isn't too much. The surface is easy to grip and it cleans up nicely. I had a crash that bent my bars, but the tape came through unscathed, so I put a new wrap on the replacement bars.