Off The Front Handlebar Tape Bar Tape

Off The Front Handlebar Tape Bar Tape

Neoprene padding, tapered edges.

[Oct 14, 2007]
Mick Coyle

Strength:

The same tape has been on one of my bikes for over 10 years. One side I had to replace after a hard crash, which is to be expected, the other side is still on the bike. I have been riding road bikes since 1972, with plenty of racing in the 1970's. Plus, I was in the bicycle industry for 17 years with my own shop, and then in wholesale, I probably have tried most of the competition available, and nothing else comes close. It is very "sticky", ie; you don't have to hold onto the bars with a death grip, even on very bumpy roads or in the rain. Plus, the fact that I just cannot wear it out, I have no idea when it will need replacing. If you can buy this tape, you will never want to ride with any other brand. I'd rate this product a 10+.

None, other than it may have been discontinued. I'm going to call Off The Front tomorrow.

Their CYCLECROSS bar tape is the best I have ever used.

Pretty much everything else available.

[Jun 22, 2006]
Kai Forlie

Strength:

Lasts forever.

None (other than the fact you can't find it anymore).

Hands down the best tape ever manufactured anywhere! Its currently out of production owing, according to the business owners, to its wear and tear longevity - the stuff lasts forever. I've got ten years plus on one of my bikes - it looks like I wrapped it yesterday. Shops stopped stocking it because customers who bought it never came back for more - they never needed to since it lasts indenfinately! A real shame it can't be had anymore.

Nothing comes close.

[Dec 20, 2001]
jw25

Strength:

Lots of design options. Easy to rewrap - no adhesive backing gives a good grip

No more durable than cork adhesive (if you apply as per instructions) sticks too well to the tape, so it''''s hard to reapply. Awfully thin - no padding effect.

Seems like good tape for those with small hands, or with the need to add color. The instructions could be clearer, though - you need to really stretch the tape to do a good job. The instructions also say to cut a section of foam off, and use the tape''''s adhesive to start and end the wrap. It works, and is very neat, but it''''s impossible to remove without tearing the covered part, so reusing it can be difficult. Seems pretty durable, but once damage occurs, it grows pretty fast. I find myself wanting more padding on long rides

Cinelli, Ambrosio, Profile.

[Oct 26, 2001]
templecat

Strength:

Durable, easy on the hands, good grip texture.

Went on smoothly, stretch it tight! Right amount of padding without being too bulky. Held up great over the years. Cool looking (Death Grip).

Never had to use anything else!

[Apr 07, 2000]
William

Strength:

Oh, the padding. re-wrap your bar as much as you like. Super absorbant

Alas, the yellow ones turn brown. Seems to get abrasive over time

This is the most absorbant tape i have found. very durable, just the right abount of padding. I ride w/o gloves, and after a few months it seemed a bit to abrasive to use on the road bike w/o gloves. However, it works very well on my mountain bike's Scott AT3 bars (very old school). Any way, If you wear gloves and like a firm grip this will certainly suit your needs. Sans gloves it clearly offers a firmer grip than pure cork. I've found cork/synthetic blends to be very nice if you insist on not wearing gloves like me. In the end remember, buy the black tape no matter what.

Chinelli, Icon, Sampson fat wrap

[Jun 27, 2000]
Pat

Strength:

Reusable

No adhesive backing

I bought this tape b/c I thought it looked cool, but it is utter garbage. I replaced it with some good old cork tape after a week. Granted, without the adhesive back, you can reuse the tape; but, it begins to slide around a bit, especially in the drops. I rewrapped it once really tightly, and it did help. But it just doesn't have the solid feel without the adhesive back. Personally, I like the feel of cork tape better too. As for value, I bought it for $10, so it's an alright deal in that department.

Cinelli Solid Cork

[Jul 20, 2000]
Rob Smith

Strength:

This is some of the wildest handlebar tape you can find. I got the red Celtic knotwork. The ability to reuse it (no adhesive) is a plus also, especially as you will probably end up with a re-wrap. And, it's fairly cheap.

My tape started moving around within the first month of use. I rewrapped the bars, which helped some, but it still moves a bit.

Although this tape looks fantastic, it doesn't hold up as well as my previous Cinelli cork, and my rating reflects this. It is comfortable (I ride with gloves), and at $11.95 (at Performance in Northbrook, IL), the price is right, which has to be taken into account. I would recommend this tape for casual riders who want to make their bike look as sharp as possible. If you plan to put many miles in the saddle however, I'd say go with Cinelli cork.

Cinelli Cork

[Aug 02, 2000]
Tom Buettgen

Strength:

Looks great and readily available

doesn't hold up

This stuff is crap. I have had it in service for only 450miles and it already looks like it went through a war. I have never had tape fall apart so fast.I ride with gloves and never come out of the rain so I might tend to be a little harder on tape than some. I believe the folks from Off the Front put form over function. Price was no object. I believe I will head back to my old favorite Cinelli cork.

Cinelli, Sampson, Performance,Nashbar

[Nov 15, 2000]
Steve Hartwell

Strength:

Looks cool, I got spyders. No adheisive, I prefer to use my own.

None.

Good looking tape and inexpensive. Why pay twice the price for same quality. Tape is tape. Local shop stopped stocking the old vinyl stuff and actually, I preferred it. So to me, this is the next best. I don't understand how riders spend big $$ shaving grams off their bike and then put on huge rolls of "comfy"(and heavy)cork tape.

Cinnelli, 3T

[Apr 17, 2001]
KW G

Strength:

This stuff is crap! It started to fall apart on the first ride. NOw, after a week (over 350 miles) it's shredded. Not long enough to overlap at the halfway mark.

Don't buy this tape.