3T Bio Morphe Handlebars

3T Bio Morphe Handlebars

Top of the range full carbon handlebar. H.M Carbon handlebar Ergonomic design to make it more comfortable 31.8 centre bulge diameter Double grooved 190gm

[Aug 15, 2008]
hbg

Strength:

More comfortable than traditional bars in most positions.

Expensive, difficult to tape.

These really are different from other handlebars. Feel fantastic in the drops with easy reach to levers. Riding on ends of drops is suprisingly comfortable for extended periods... a position I've never really used before, and a nice alternative on windy days. Riding on "bends" is almost like leaning on the ends of flat bars, and comfortable for long stretches. Only complaints: I prefer round bars for riding the tops, and you have to be really careful taping them, as with all the bends they use up more tape than traditional bars. Overall really well conceived, if hardly traditional. I'm a recreational/club rider, and not sure these would be the bars of preference for racers.

A variety of traditional and ergo bars.

[Dec 23, 2007]
Wang Kaiyuan

Strength:

The shape is impressive at first sight. Light and very stiff when laterally pressed. The bend is what is called shallow, and it does have some special designs to be an ergo bar, which make you easily find the right position where your hands should be during long rides.

And it is really really stiff!!

Not really a weakness. But you need to know the length marked on the bar measured end to end. For this handlebar, the place where you install the shifter (the hood) is 2cm narrower than the size, while the lower of the drop is how wide the size indicates. So you'd better try it before you take it. Maybe you need one size bigger.

Comfortable, light-weight, stiff

aluminium bars with big bend (belgian style)

[Apr 13, 2006]
MDT

Strength:

Comfortable, very ergonomic, plenty of hand positions. Cool looking carbon bar. I'd have a hard time going back to traditional bars after using this one.

Expensive, a bit heavy. Fit may be an issue for those with large hands.

I have about 700 miles on these bars so far. I bought them because I experienced some discomfort and restlessness in my hands on longer rides. Immediately I noticed some hand positions were a big improvement, while others I initially had mixed feelings about. I think that was mostly because these bars feel so different from traditional bars.

After some time, I came to really appreciate these bars in many ways. I notice the difference the most when I ride my other bike with traditional round bars, which by comparison, now feel less comfortable, plain, and dull.

One note: I have fairly large hands, and although these bars fit me ok, if the bars were any smaller or compact in shape, they wouldn't fit. If you have larger hands, I suggest you try them before you buy them.

Overall, very good, comfortable handlebars.

Bontrager, Kestral, Ritchey, Easton

[Apr 12, 2006]
MDT

Strength:

Comfortable, and offer more hand positions. Cool looking carbon bars.

Expensive, and a little bit heavy. Check your hand size fit.

I have about 700 miles on these handlebars. I bought them because my hands felt restless and uncomfortable on longer rides using a traditional bar. Immediately there were a couple of positions that were a big improvement, while others I had mixed feelings about, as these bars are quite different. After a couple hundred miles I came to appreciate the features of this bar and truly enjoy it. I notice the difference the most when I ride my other bike with traditional round bars, and the difference is significant. Traditional bars now feel less comfortable, plain, and dull by comparison.

I have fairly large hands, and although these bars fit me ok, if my hands were any larger, they wouldn't fit some surfaces of these bars. Give them a try before you buy if you can.

Very unique, anatomical, and comfortable bars. Different, but in a good way. I'd have a hard time going back to traditional bar again.

Bontrager, Kestral, Ritchey

[Feb 18, 2006]
msohio

Strength:

They fit like a glove. All the little bumps and indents make it really work. My hands, wrists, arms and shoulders tell me they work for me.

They are not a cheap date and very hard to find.

These are great bars. I ride about 100-120 miles a week and they make it easier on my body, that's for sure. Clearly designed by someone that actually rides a lot. I had heard about them and finally found someone that had them on a bike. He raved about how unusual and functional the various contours were. Sure the bar looks like a set of drop bars, but the attention to making them comfy over a long ride is very evident. I had a set of FSA ego bars and the Bio Morphe's are vastly superior IMO. What it boils down to is they are better thought out in the design. Lots of little things that all work out right when you ride 'em. I like the shallow reach a lot, makes the drops easier to use for a longer interval. They are not a cheap date, that's for sure. But if you want to make your body flat out feel better on a longer ride, 2+ hours, I think these bars are worth the price.

FSA Wing bars

[Jun 16, 2005]
Savedsol

Strength:

Beautiful, comfortable, well made, light for being over-engineered.

$$$. If you wear a glove size L or XL do not apply. Work better with Campy. No internal routing so you have to cover their beauty with tape.

An excellent ergo bar. I had a Cinelli Solida and my hands were always cramping, I hated the tops and the drops. The flats on these are nicer than the FSA because they aren't tilted as much when the bar is "flat" and not as wide as the Stella. There are also an amazing amount of hand postions. All the nooks and crannies really do something. The drops are very shallow and work better with Campy than Shimano. They are also very comfortable and I now prefer the drops to the tops.

FSA K, Stella Azzura, ITM Sword...

[Dec 02, 2004]
Synchronicity

Strength:

COMFORT!!!!!

Weight. These weighed ~ 30gm more than anticipated, and their claimed weight isn't exactly light to start with, but I can overlook it. I don’t tend to use the rear-most section of the drops, and they sometimes bang into my knees if I don’t concentrate on pedalling straight. Price is not an issue here, as other bars cost twice as much.

Finally!! I was waiting for this product to be listed, because I want people to know how well-designed it is. I think this is the best bicycle product I have ever bought – simple as that. I didn't realise how much difference a comfortable bar would make. It definitely deserves the following detailed review. Firstly, I have the 26.0mm clamp size, and I have campagnolo record levers fitted. For comparison, my hands span about 3 to 3.5” across the palm (so I guess they’re considered large). FEATURES: *Possibly the best feature is where the bar curves into the drops. The shape is very hard to describe, being a bit like a large knob, but it creates what I’d call a new “pistol grip” position on the outside corners; similar to the way you hold your hands on the hoods, but further back. It’s also arguably more comfortable than the hood position... *The oval-sectioned tops feel so much more comfortable than a normal rounded bar, and there is a double-width groove for campy cables. The outer-most section of the bar (behind the hoods) also sits slightly lower than the top part of the bar (~1/4”), so this makes holding the bar on the tops (just inside the corners) just that little bit more cosy, because its convex profile matches up with the concave part of your palm. Trust me, it works well ;-) *Then, just under the brake hoods, there is a another section that is “cut away” so to speak… this creates extra space when holding the drops… it allows you to get three fingers under there, which is so much better than two. It just feels so much more natural (this is especially noticeable when you go back to using a normal bar) *Next, the drops have a few “dents” moulded in: this *precisely* fits the palms of my hands. Whenever I settle into the drops, it’s almost as though they’re custom-moulded to my hands – it just fits perfectly and I smile every time my hands snuggle in down there. Plus they’re a fair bit shallower than most bars, and so I find myself using the drops more (I never did use the drop position much previously). *The actual composite construction is A1 quality. There are no voids, etc, and the weave is perfectly aligned where it should be. Reassuring, because I have bought some poor quality stuff before over the internet. (I am a Materials Scientist by trade so I know bad stuff when it comes my way). The bio morphe comes in a matt finish. This is one of those products that you think to yourself: “why didn’t someone think of this earlier?”. I reckon 3TTT really tried as hard as they could to create the ultimate ergo handlebar. They must have hired a bunch of ergonomic specialists to help them design it. I can just picture them all gathered around a table brainstorming on how to make the product better. Unlike some companies which try to cut corners, TTT didn’t hold them back, which is really good to see. What’s even more amazing is they were constrained with the section below the ergolevers, as nothing can have a diameter greater than the clamps – they had to do it by deliberately moulding dents into the form of the bar – something that cannot be done with metal as easily. Although there is a proliferation of ergo-carbon bars out there at the moment, I think this one has the most features, but they are subtle. I bought mine off the net, but urge you to get one in your hands, and it will sell itself. I knew it would be great from the moment I took it out of the parcel & grabbed onto it. The best product ever in my opinion. I only wish someone could make a saddle as comfortable as this!!! Bottom line: I hope 3TTT sell a million of these.

Kestrel EMS pro.

[Sep 14, 2004]
mattj

Strength:

VERY comfortable on the top of the bar, from stem to hoods. Works well with Campy levers. Nicely designed cable routing under the bar.

As mentioned above: squeezing of the hand width when in the drops. I do not have huge hands and they almost fit perfectly, but close is not good enough......

Very comfortable except when I'm forward in the drops. The bars have a little kick up on the ends which restricts the space available for the width of my palm. This is probably the result of the kick up and the shallow over all verticle height. Very nice flat areas to rest your hands on top and at the "ends" of the bar as it turns forward towards the hoods.

These are first first carbon road bars.