Cinelli Altera Handlebars

Cinelli Altera Handlebars

Drawn from a 6082 T6 aluminum extruded tube, externally butted and anatomically shaped, Altèra is a new handlebar designed to mate with Cinelli's Alter stem.

Weight: 290 gr/40 c/c

[Aug 16, 2011]
Dougimusprime

Strength:

Fits my hands well

THEY SNAPPED WHILE I WAS RIDDING

Welp...I just had these snap on me a few hours ago. I figured I would see if anyone else out there had these snap on them. AND, sure enough there is.

I just got done with a very technical decent were I hit about 45mph. I turned at the end of the road where there is a short little up. I went to put some power down to get over it quickly and I just felt the right side of the bar give way and then snap.

So my review is that these pretty much suck. I think they lasted about 6 years...Is that the regular life of hand bars?

[Sep 16, 2006]
Craig Snider

Strength:

Shape

Obviously there is a flaw in this bar. It doesn't hold up to serious cycling and presents a hazard to anyone using it. Avoid the Cinelli Altera handlebar.

About a week ago a guy in the local bike club in Santa Clarita had his Cinelli Alterabar snap off (like other reviewer) Unfortunately he let go of the broken bar and it droped into the front wheel spokes, broke the fork, and he fell (not injured seriously). I suspect this is a design flaw, perhaps the embedded name plates near the center of the bar create a weakness. I plan to replace my Cinelli Altera bar soon. I'm surprised there is no recall on these.

[Apr 30, 2006]
Andy

Strength:

The shape is more square tubing (with rounded edges) than other handlebars, so it is more chunky and more comfortable than any other handlebar I have ever tried.

I love the Cinelli Altera handle bar. I got it with my Bianchi Axis. The standard handlebar was too wide for me, so the dealer swapped it out with the Altera in a 40cm size, and I've always been happy with it. I'm contemplating another one to go on the roadbike I just bought.

Ritchey WCS, Deda Elementi

[Mar 23, 2006]
Aaron Clark

Strength:

Thanks old pal, you've done well.

A wee bit heavy now that technology has moved on.

This bar was the stock handlebar on my 2001 Giant TCR2. It has been crashed, dropped, sprinted, climbed and descended on, and is still performing. I only changed it in 2006 for something lighter.

[Jan 12, 2004]
Martystan

Strength:

The name Cinelli is (or was) a quality name in road bike bars.

Too heavy for anything competitive

Have just started riding road bikes again to complement my mtb fitness and strength after over 15 years of riding and eventually racing XC mtb's. These bars came with the bike TCR 1 Aero, which is very sweet and very stealthy. The bars seem at first impression to be heavy, too heavy for racing and triathlon which is what I intend to use the bike for.

Need some recommendations please, am relatively new to the roading scene and would appreciate some insight and info on some decent strong lightweight bars for racing and triathlon. 100usd budget would be sufficient I imagine. I know Easton make superb carbon mtb bars, have they got the road bike equivilent?

[Jul 10, 2003]
monkeybite911

Strength:

Functional.

Heavy. Weak. Broke after only 8 months use.

This bar was functional until it BROKE yesterday, right next to the stem. Wasn't even a crash situation, it just snapped while I was riding. Luckily I wasn't descending or hammering real hard, or it could have been a disaster. I'm a strong rider and put a fair amount of pressure on the bars in sprints and climbing. I have no faith or trust in Cinelli products anymore.

[Dec 20, 2002]
ozrider

Strength:

Price Build quality

Heavy Flexes too much in sprints.

This bar came stock with my training ride. It's a good solid, entry level anatomic bar that does its job well. It's not good enough to put on a race machine as I have some concern with it flexing under heavy sprints, and it weighs a ton compared to other bars on the market.

ITM

[Sep 12, 2002]
moabbiker

Strength:

Cheap?

Heavy

Bar came stock with my Giant OCR. It has a nice shape, nice tolerances, but is on the end of the ladder as far as weight goes: 320g for the 42cm. If you're looking for a bar, spend a little extra to get something that weighs less. If you have this as a stock bar, it's an easy change to shave off some weight. In my case, I bought a Performance Forte Pro bar for only $30 and it weighs 70g less.

Performance Forte