Ritchey Pro BioMax Handlebars

Ritchey Pro BioMax Handlebars

-back top, ergo-bend drops. Triple-butted aluminum. Width: 42 or 44 cm.

[Jun 15, 2014]
eb

Strength:

super compact
short reach to levers

these bars make me want to ride in the drops; never before have i been as comfortable in the drops was with these bars. when my hands are up in the curve they are really close close to my break / shifter levers (i ride campy).

[Jun 08, 2009]
dwilson84

Strength:

1) Relaxed drops with bend
2) Great hood space
3) feels smooth over long rides
4) Compliments Cork bar tape very well

1) Could have a little longer drops for more hand positions, but a proper seat height will put you right in the drops.

These bars came stock on my new 2008 Jamis Eclipse. They are very ergonomic and feel great on long rides of 70+ miles. I went over a few rail road tracks, some rough roads, and rumble strips and could hardly feel any vibration at all. I do have carbon forks on my bike so that helps to smooth things out as well. The drops can be a little tricky to hang on to when climbing but you should be in the drops on a climb anyway thats what the hoods are for the bend is perfect on the top of the bars makes riding the hoods very comfortable on my Ultegra STIs.

Cannondale Carbon C2

[Nov 05, 2008]
NorCal_RS

Strength:

Excellent value, nice finish, good fit for my big hands.

I would prefer the drops to be just a bit longer at the end so that I could have one more hand position - but the bars are so comfortable in the drops compared to most that this is a minor complaint.

I have large hands and many of the ergo bars don't fit my grip well because they are too small. This bar fits me very well - the ergo 'bump' is well shaped and actually works on this bar - the best ergo bar I have had.

The compact design makes for a very comfortable ride.

The swept back tops fit my hands / wrists well - just enough for comfort but not too much that they look funny.

Stiff enough for country road riding.

Cinelli / Deda / 3T / Bontrager

[Jul 12, 2006]
pdtoast

So close, yet so far.
The Biomax handlebars do a few things really well:
1.) Short reach distance (75mm). I like my handlebars to be set up so I can ride comfortably on the hoods, yet when I put my hands on top for climbing it doesn't feel like I am sitting bolt upright. The short reach on these bars achieves that. You can have a comfortable position on the hoods, yet still have a slight forward lean for power when climbing.
2.) Shallow drop. Like most cyclists, I like to ride in the drops on long descents, but not with my knees banging into my throat.
3.) Flared-back flats/tops. Why haven't other companies figured this out? If you hold your hands out in front of you and make a fist, you'll see that your wrists naturally want to be angled out a few degrees. Yet most handlebar makers angle their bars the other way, citing the (nonexistent) benefit of "elbows out promotes better breathing." The slight back angle on the Biomax bars offers a great (and powerful) hand position for climbing.

HOWEVER: A couple of big problems:

1.) The "ergo" bump is waaaay overdone and actually becomes painful on long descents or periods in the drops.

2.) The radius of the bar's curve into the drops is poorly designed... if you set up your shifters such that they are comfortably upright (for riding on the hoods), you'll have difficulty reaching the brake levers when you are riding in the drops.

[Jun 26, 2003]
spinordie

Strength:

Comfy, stong, light

Need a carbon fork so it removes any vibration

Stong enough to sprint with and feel safe, but light enough to keep the bike climbing. The "Bio" fittings make a significant difference on longer rides. It is aluminim so you definately need a carbon fork to remove all vibration. Comfy.

Modolo (nice, but not nearly as comfortable on longer rides)

[Jan 01, 2003]
camp9

Strength:

Good Ergonomics

Great product at a great price. Sharp bend makes for a lot of room on the tops. Ergo bend is very comfortable.

[Jul 03, 2002]
NiktheV

Strength:

Great stiffness-to-weight ratio. I just got back from some hillclimbing in Vermont. I stood up, so did the bars!

None that I've seen.

Bought these bars on the recommendation of a friend who, like me, is an ex-racer who now does long and fast rides. He's never steered me wrong. (Bad pun.) Nice feel, good mate to Ritchey WCS stem. I like the bend on the "drop": it's nice when climbing or descending. Cinelli used to make a bar with a similar bend, which I rode for a couple of seasons on another bike. But, it seems that Cinelli is not making anything similar.

TTT Prima, other bars from Deda and Cinelli.

[Jun 18, 2001]
Steve

Strength:

Nice bends
Nice ergo "speedbump" on the drops

Bars are indeed a very personal thing. Interestingly, my 42 cm bars are not flared at the bottom as I expected they would be. And while I thought I would like the ergo bend up top, which indeed is nice, what I really like is the speed-bump on the upper part of the drops. It provides a comfortable spot to rest the hands when braking on the drops. The flat "ergo" section on most bars can make it a bit awkward to reach the levers (it puts the levers farther away).

Icon
Cinelli

[Mar 31, 2000]
Art S.

Strength:

•Great ergo shape.

•Drops 'flare out' in cyclo-x fashion.

Handlebars are a very 'personal fit' type of thing, like saddles and shoes, etc. The Bio-Max would have been great for me if it weren't for the outward flare of the drop position, which is counter-intuitive to me for road riding, but I'm sure would work well for cyclo-x riders. I prefer the inward flare of a Deda or TTT-style bar.

I tried the 44 cm. size, which is w-i-d-e, but felt about right for me. The back sweep of the flats was comfortable, like the TTT Morphe, and there is room in the drops for wide hands. Still a bit of a reach to the brake levers from the drops, but many bars are that way.

Also, it's fairly light for a big 44 cm. bar: mine weighed in at 263 gr., FWIW.

•TTT Prima 199, Deda Newton, Ritchey Logic Pro, Cinelli Nerve, TTT Morphe, etc.

[Aug 01, 2001]
matt

Strength:

Great shape, Ergo-Bends are extremely comfortable, quality, durability, range of sizes.

none...yet.

Great product, I find the bar very comfortable in every position from hoods to drops. The ergo bends make the drops so tempting!! Nice bar at a good value.

OEM junk