Chris King No Thread Headset

No Thread

What can be said about the NoThreadset. Probably a fair number of your riding buddies have them. They last nearly forever. Most of us have moved the same King headset from frame to frame. Winter after winter without ever taking the seals out to clean the bearings. When properly installed, going beyond the 10 year warranty is normal for a King Headset.

matraiv   [Jul 17, 2017]
Strength:

Indestructible, smooth, really good looking.

price

It's in daily use, for 2 years. Smoothly and without any issues as ever. The bearing is perfect, the looks is perfect, it doesn't matter what weather condition you are riding it. So you just have to buy it once.

AVO   Road Racer [Oct 31, 2008]
Strength:

Looks nice. The cups/bearings are solid.

o-ring design is terrible
over priced

CK nothreadset are nice looking, and the cups are well built. The design is terrible. The o-ring is fairly worthless. I have to constantly (every week) adjust the headset to remove wobble. Cane creek holds patents that force CK to go in a different direction and use the o-ring instead. They'll keep selling it as viable, but, they also tell you to replace it once a year.

Similar Products Used: cane creek, fsa
VArider   Recreational Rider [Mar 09, 2008]
Strength:

Solid construction
Long life (I can see it outlasting the bike!)

Price, but I guess you get what you pay for

The 1" came on a used Kestrel 200Sci I bought in 1999. No idea how long it was on the bike as the LBS believe the bike is one of the first models with a threadless headset that Kestrel made. When I purchased a Kestrel 300EMS frame and fork in 2003 the CK was one of the items I used in build-up. With 20K miles on that bike and no telling how many on the older one I would not buy anything else. By comparison I purchased a used QR with an Aheadset. I ride that bike about 4X a month and the headset is about gone. First time I have ever seen a headset go bad. I am replacing this year with a CK.

Similar Products Used: Aheadset
ejprez   Road Racer [Mar 04, 2008]
Strength:

Looks, Bling Factor, Impresses the Common rider.
Great bearings and cups.

Creaks and Clunks, must maintain that part of the maintenence free headset. Bearings will last forever.
Over Priced.

I have had two of these headsets, a 1" on my road bike and 1 1/8 on my mountain bike. I thought the headset was nice and quality built, but I think the price is too much. I do agree that the headset is not perfect and is over hyped. I have the King hubs too, and think the DT 240 and Shimano XTR and Dura ace are better for the money.

To be honest King is not the King of headsets, cane creek the creators of the threadless headset are. Hope has a headset that rivals the Cane creek 110, both are better than the King. Can't beat a 110 year warranty.

I did experience the creeking and clunking of the King headset, I used to think it was my Suspension fork on my mountain bike or the Bottom Bracket, and my Bottom Bracket on my road bike making the noise. For the price that's unacceptable.

I've been using integrated headsets on my newer bikes, and haven't had any problems at all, and they are worth less than half the price of the King. Oh, and they are Cane Creek. For all that King touts on their site about the inferiority of the integrated headset, you'd think they would at least fix the creaking and clunking.

Similar Products Used: Aheadset, Cane Creek S2, S3, S8, Solos, IS-8i, FSA intergerated, Campy integrated.
mxer505   Road Racer [Feb 11, 2008]
Strength:

You can service them with out having to buy new bearings. They feel super smooth and look great.

The price is more than most other headsets. But you get what you pay for. A headset that could last.

Great product from a great company

Similar Products Used: Cane Creek, FSA
gearfreakNY   Recreational Rider [Sep 12, 2007]
Strength:

Black Anodized Aluminum, Quality, Reliably

Chris King Warrantee Department: they SUCK big time, lifetime warranty forget it! I purchased a Titanium NoThreadset it was super sexy, super cool, heaver than the Aluminum, but when professional installed the Titanium headset and the Ti crown brace when rode up hill it creaked loudly, that is unacceptable for $250.00 headset. So bye Aluminum ONLY!!! Trust me it took Chris King a whole year to deal with it, they didn’t want to help me at all. I fought to get my money back and purchased a Aluminum NoThreadset. CK makes a great well-made product, but watch out for a company that has a lifetime warranty and refuse to stand by a brand new product!

Bye Aluminum ONLY!!!

Similar Products Used: other crap
xcmtnbikernm   Road Racer [Jun 28, 2007]

read the other 1/5 reviews

You people are missing the point here. The loose wobbling feel comes from the O-RING that is suppose to hold everythimg in place.
YES, I checked my headtube IS PERFECTLY ALIGNED.
AND you can't "install it wrong" it is a press-fit.
This is for those of you who would like a real review. So if you are deciding whether or not to get one, You don't have to base your decision only on fact everyone thinks it looks cool.

xcmtnbikernm   Road Racer [Feb 25, 2007]
Strength:

It comes in all the colors of the rainbow.
It has become the social standard.

read the other 1 of 5 review below.
This has become very over rated.
Most people couldn't tell the difference between this and a headset on a department store bike.
People just blindly follow the hype, and get the most expensive things, just to make thier bike look "cool".

I am the the one who gave the 1 of 5 review below. I wanted to clerify a few things.
My bike is a LITESPEED so there is NO paint on the headtube to be reemed or faced,
AND because of the quality of LITESPEED the headtube is perfectly aligned,
AND my new cane creek headset works perfectly.
The problem is in the design
The O-ring is not just a seal,
it is also the only part of the headset that makes contact with the steerer
and it is what is suppose to hold everything in place.
You don't have to be rocket scientist to relize that rubber (the stuff the O-ring is made out of) compresses easily which
alows the steerer to wobble.