Chris King Threaded Headset

Threaded

Metal-sealed cartridge bearings. 1" or 1 1/8"

arman   Commuter [Jun 05, 2007]
Strength:

zero

cost? this is a joke for a headset that last so long, it is like an, heirloom.

it is a pity that i cannot use a chris king headset on my road bike, it has a hidden headset, if there is such a thing as a perfect bike component, the chris king head set, is the one, i purchased by chris king headset as an upgrade to my 1994 specialized stumpjumper, i have had 4 bikes since then, sold the bikes, but kept the headset, it still works flawlessly

Similar Products Used: factory installed, cane creek, specialized
Veronikafan   Recreational Rider [Mar 23, 2007]
Strength:

Best headset money can buy
Virtually bombproof and maintenence-free

The Rolls-Royce of bicycle components is the Chris King headset. Those that balk at the high price are fools. No one who owns one of these regrets spending a few extra bucks for a component that is so critical for the safe operation of a bicycle, that once properly installed, is virtually bombproof and maintenence-free for the lifetime of the frame. My first one went 8 years before I was even tempted to open up the seals and see if there was any contamination of the bearing grease, and there was none. it still looked new inside after 20,000 miles. I would not even consider any other headset after owning a King.

Similar Products Used: Dura Ace 7400, Tange
z ken   Recreational Rider [Mar 22, 2007]
Strength:

purty
well design
cool colors ( different choices, mine is red )
smooth handling
no need to maintain/clean
lifetime warrenty??

absolutely none

some said the finest bike component ever made?? could be and gotta rank up there along with Ultra Bora, FSA's Plasma and Giro's Atmos. it's smooth handling, great looking ( red ) and no need to clean/maintain. of course a bling machine.

Similar Products Used: cane crek s2
seth   Recreational Rider [Nov 08, 2003]
Strength:

light, pretty, they still comes in wonderful colors. no need to think about it except, perhaps, in admiration. GOOD customer service.

moron + screwdriver = damaged bearings

where to begin. I first spotted one of these headsets 13 or 14 years ago on a fellows Davidson that lead some local group rides. his equipment was already a couple of years old at that point. Well, 5 or 6 years later I was hard up for a ride and bought said Davidson off of him. I rode and rode and rode. I sold the frame awhile back having slapped the headset onto a cyclocross bike that I raced for a time. I'm still using the same damned headset on my commuter bike. I really don't expect to find myself without that particular headset on one bike or another for some time to come. I even used it for messengering and the potholes that are involved. Oh...and another thing. One time, I was too eager trying to build up a bike that I damaged the bearings with a screwdriver. All I had to do was bring my bike down to the LBS looking suitably contrite and they shipped the poor chris king back to the factory for some new bearings for FREE! I have one on my MTB, road bike and commuter. If only all components were like this.

Similar Products Used: stronghlight,yst(7 dollars...you really can't complain),stx,mavic,campy chorus,ritchey
Jim   Road Racer [Aug 25, 2003]
Strength:

Smooth, tough, and oh so killer looking too, and the fact that people look at you like you're the shiz with this thing doesn't hurt either

This thing ain't weak... the guy next to you on the trails, riding whatever cheap ass headset he's riding, now THAT is weak

For years, I'd heard the hype surrounding King's headsets, and a few days ago, I finally succumbed and bought one of these bad boys. For what it cost, I didn't initially expect it to perform as good as it was selling for, but man, the first ride I went on after having it installed, I was in bike nirvana! Velvety smooth steering, no more creaking and rubbing of the steer tube, I could go on and on, this thing kicks ass :)

Similar Products Used: Too many to name, besides, they don't compare
transistor   Road Racer [Aug 16, 2003]
Strength:

it works perfect period

what's that?

boy I have had problems with headsets for probably 10 years, either they are coming loose or the bearings are needing constant regreasing or they are failing but thank god for these king headsets. haven't even touched it for over a year. I keep looking at it and checking expecting something to be going wrong but nope

Similar Products Used: don't even get me started
UnkaDave   Recreational Rider [Apr 07, 2003]
Strength:

Set and forget, durability. And, it's purty, too.

Nuttin'

My Campy Record headset lasted about 10,000 miles before indexing badly. The Chris King has about 12,000 without signs of wear, and hasn't been touched since installation. I have to join the crowd on this one and sing its praises.

Similar Products Used: Dura-Ace, Ultegra and Campy Record
clgtide1   Road Racer [Mar 14, 2003]
Strength:

Durable, the Goat has been in use since 93 and only needed minor tweeks.

None ecept the look on your co-riders faces when they realize they shoulda gotta King.

The king headset Is the industry standard. I currently own 3 bikes with various King Headsets. A 1993 Mtn. Goat Whiskeytown Racer, 1999 Yeti Road Project and a 2003 Santa Cruz Blur. I constantly worry over evry single detail when building up my bikes. The one thing on the list that never gets a second thought is the headset.

Similar Products Used: None
Trinrn7   Recreational Rider [Feb 04, 2003]
Strength:

Finish, smooth operation

Lack of weather seals, bearings difficult to remove for maintenence, price

My experience hasn't been as flawless as the other posts. After 15 months of use I'm considering replacing my fork due to corrosion of the steel steerer. Seems to me one of the major things a headset ought to do is keep out the water. I've never had a problem in this regard with lesser headsets. Set and forget only if you never wash your bike or get caught in the rain. On the plus side it is nicely finished and smooth.