Bontrager InForm RL Saddles

Bontrager InForm RL Saddles

• Bontrager Science of Comfort blends three elements for a perfect riding experience: performance, design and comfort
  • 3 widths of saddles allow perfect match to your sit bones
  • Rear curvature of saddles is customized based on saddle size for optimal seating support
  • Custom Tuned Shell for support and comfort
  • Superlight Bontrager ZONE DENSITY foam puts the support and the compliance in specific zones where it's needed
  • Graphics are optimized to be away from high friction zones during riding
  • Hollow stainless steel rails

• USER REVIEWS

[Aug 11, 2010]
    Scooter

Strength:

Durable enough, good price, light weight, comfortable.

some scuffing on the front from botched cyclocross mounts. Must wear cycling shorts for best results.

Most comfortable race saddle I've ever ridden. I use it for Cyclocross too. Not very comfy if you don't use cycling shorts or bibs. Spreads your body weight well without hot-spots and pinching if you get the right size.

WTB silverado, WTB rocket V, Fizik Arione, stock bontrager road saddle

[Jul 28, 2009]
    sharkey

Strength:

Comfortable.
    Non-obtrusive to pedal stroke.
    Rewards flat, aggressive position or getting in drops.

Fussy to set up (In my case I had to throw out all of my pre-conceptions about saddle setup and start anew).
    Slightly different area of contact may require some getting used to.

I have ridden many, many different saddles, some for just a half hour before I knew it wasn't going to work, and some for months, or even years, before I began searching for something that I liked a little better. I originally purchased a bontrager inform R for my commuter bike. I rode it for my 30 mile round trip commute for the last 6 months or so. My initial impressions were that it was a "good" saddle . . . ok for my commute but not quite comfy enough for the long distances I do on weekends. Then, almost by accident, I visited the bontrager website and read the part where is says to set up the saddle absolutely level. As I normally set up my saddles with a very slight downward angle (or just the nose of the saddle level), I decided to follow their instructions to see if it made a difference. Once I leveled the saddle, the true comfort of the saddle was immediately apparent. Once I had the inform R saddle dialed in properly (level, fore/aft, etc.), I immediately went out and bought an RL for my weekend bike. It is absolutely the most comfortable saddle I have ever ridden. The RL replaces the coveted and highly rated Fizik Aliante (a close second in comfort). The Bontrager saddles require a bit of tinkering to find the right setup, and I encounterd a bit of a break in period because you do tend to sit on it differently than other saddles - rather than directing all of your weight onto your sit bones (I used to get two very pronouced hot spots on my sit bones with other saddles),the bontrager rewards rolling your hips forward and keeping a flat position on the bike. Your center is rolled forward (apparently onto the pubic rami as the bontrager marketing might suggest), but there is no one place that seems to be a "hot spot". It does seem to effectively spread out your weight over a larger area - It feels like it was custom molded for my bottom with absolutely no discomfort to my soft tissue. Super comfortable, but it is definitely a race oriented saddle - because it rewards an aggressive, flat position, and because the shell is very firm. That said, riders who do not have many years on their legs (or bottoms) may find the transition a little harder. It is a well made, well designed product, and a relative bargain at $100.

Fizik Aliante, Fizik Pave, Specialized Toupe, Specialized Alias, Selle San Marco ERA, Selle San Marco Regal, Flights, Serfas Lola and some others

[Mar 04, 2009]
    nerdbot5000

Strength:

- Comfortable
    - Cheaper than most high-end saddles
    - multiple widths

- Uncomfortable (hard) before breaking in

I feel like I can't go too in-depth on this subject, since I don't have too much experience with other decent saddles, but I tried out a Specialized Toupe and Alias while in the shop and they were way less comfortable for me than the RL. The Toupe and Alias felt like they were focusing all of my body's weight onto the sit bones, while the R and RL seemed to distribute the weight across a wider area, and felt much more comfortable because of it. I have very narrow sit bones, and I'm extremely skinny (no natural "cushion"), but the RL offers enough padding to keep me comfortable. However, the first week with this saddle left my butt sore, as it feels very hard at first, but after about 2 weeks, the saddle was very comfortable. Overall, I'm very happy with this saddle, especially for the price, and I'll probably be buying another for my new build.

(misc note: Tri-Sport is the best shop in Fresno. I went to a couple others, and Tri-Sport was the only place that let me try out any of the saddles being sold. The worker there fit me on my bike and switched out saddles for me, even a little past closing hours, and then cut 30 bucks off the MSRP -- awesome service.)

I've only really ridden 2 saddles before this one. One of them was a stock saddle that was terribly uncomfortable for anyone who rode on it, and the other, which the RL replaced, was a ridden-to-death Selle Italia Flite, which I bought used for 5 bucks.

[Feb 24, 2009]
    JasonJ

Strength:

Good shape for wider sit bones, decent padding

None really -- just make sure the seat is positioned front-to-back where it should be for your sit bones and riding style

Great saddle. I was riding Specialized Avatar 143s on all my rides, but after back-to-back centuries my butt was killing me. It turns out I needed a wider saddle and my LBS gave me a great deal on the RL - in white to match my bike -- and on the next century I was pain free.

Specialized Avatar, Selle Italia Gel Flite

[Dec 05, 2008]
    Hairy-legged roadie

Strength:

Very cool looking saddle, reasonably light weight.

The plastic shell is too rigid. Quality control needs work. The cover glue attachment on the underside was coming loose before testing the saddle on a ride. Typical of most saddles from the Far East.

This saddle might work for younger men (say 40 or younger), but is definitely not a good choice for older men. That soft padding in the nose area has an unforgiving hard shell under it. I tested this saddle on my routine 35 mile loop,stopped @ mile 11 & adjusted the nose down another 1.5 degrees (like you'd do with a Fizik Arione), didn't help, aborted the ride and headed for home. If Bontrager modified this saddle with a middle cut-out (like Specialized), they might have a tolerable saddle. Also, a 146mm Inform RL fits like a 130 mm saddle. Mine now lives in a spare bike parts box. Gone back to a Terry Falcon Y. Sorry Bontrager.

Fizik Arione, Terry Falcon Y, numerous Specialized saddles.

[Oct 17, 2008]
    fierysport

Strength:

Price, support for sit bones, design, materials used.

Slightly heavier than other models 200g+

I had gone through about 3 saddles before trying this one out and I was a bit cynical - mainly because of the price. I asked the guy at the shop what he would buy with an unlimited budget and he reinterated the Bontrager, especially as half his shop were using it. I got the correct size saddle by using the ass measuring device and got the chance to get out on it the other day. I'm impressed by the support offered on the sit bones and the freedom of movement with the legs. The materials allow you to slide on the saddle easily and I found comfort in the drop position also, something I didn't expect. No pain in the perennial area which is a first for me. For the price I think it's a good saddle although weight weenies may grumble at the 230g weight of the RL version. There is an RXL version out now but I don't know the weight of that one. IMHO a few extra grams shouldn't detract from long term rider comfort.

Selle SMP, Selle Italia Tri 2 matic, Fizik Arione, San marco Caymano

[Jul 28, 2008]
    BigDaddy

Strength:

90 day return

everything. this seat hurt!

I used this seat for approximately 2 weeks and my a$$ bones hurth like you wouldn't believe! I understand "break-in" period, but I put about 175 miles on this seat and it still hurt! I purchased this seat to replace the Selle Italia Era that was stock on my bike. I have since put the seat back on the bike as it hurt less than this Bontrager Inform RL. I'm now looking at the Specialized Toupe Gel which I've heard was much better.

Selle Italia, Specialized Geometry saddles, Performance Forte...just about anything else beats this Bontrager Inform RL

[May 30, 2008]
    Schligboog Schlugbug

Strength:

Trek's return policy. Up to 90 days, you can take it back for any reason for a full refund.

It hurt. Bad. I'm going to try a Fizik Alliante next.

HATED IT!! I was properly sized by the bike shop, and after two 1-hour rides, I took it back. The sharp points on the sides of the saddle, toward the rear, dug into my backside something fierce. I'm 5' 10", 180 lbs, big, but not huge.

Currently riding on the saddle that came stock with the bike. Have 9 months and about 1300 miles on it. Bontrager Race

[May 18, 2008]
    andy

Strength:

looks, short ride comfort

pressure/numbness

More comfy than the Specialized Toupe that came on my bike; but I am now having issues. I have never had prostate troubles and after a month I think I maybe developing some. 30 to 50 mile rides are OK. Lately I've done longer rides and while my sit bones are fine the center of the saddle puts a lot of pressure where you do not want it. If I only did short rides I would keep it, because it is padded nicely. However, I am afraid I will damage my soft tissue area if I keep it.

Specialized, Will try selle italia next

[May 07, 2008]
    Joe

Strength:

great fit, good price

none yet

This saddle is awesome, normally after 30 miles I need a few minutes break just because the saddle is killing me, I bought this saddle a few weeks ago and hadn’t put it on, after this past weekends ride of 65 miles and feeling like I had ridden a hatchet I figured what’s the worst that could happen so I put it on and went for a ride, I feel could the comfort immediately, I just need to fine tune the position a little.

Fizik Arione, Flight Trans Am