Brooks B17 Special Saddles

B17 Special

The keystone of the Brooks saddle line with a few extra features. The special B17 features mid-size hammered copper rivets copper plated steel rails and chamfered sides. Loops for traditional English-style touring bag. 280mm Length x 170mm Width. 540 grams weights may vary due to leather thickness. Black Honey Green or Brown cover. Made in England.

alem?o   Recreational Rider [Jan 27, 2010]
Strength:

More comfortable than I imagined a bike saddle could be! It´s a true handbuilt masterpiece.

Weight

I got the saddle yesterday and did my test/set-up ride today. I´m stoked! Don´t understand the "long break in period" talk. Mine does allready have my sitbones marked on it after a 2 hr ride. Yesterday I used a lot of Proofide on the unfinished (under) leather side of the saddle, until it wasn´t absorbed anymore, then a small amount on top, waited to dry, put a bit more, waited to dry, then polished. Today I used another layer on top, waited, polished and went to ride! I used around 8-10g of Proofide total. The weather might have helped with the break in, as it´s hot (26-32ºC) and moist (no rain 70-85% humidity)around here. Antecipating a hard ride I used some chamois cream and my best cycling shorts. The saddle is VERY sensitive to set-up, and you get an "uneasy" feeling, slippery saddle until you finetune the saddles position/angle. But then... It´s perfect. I forced myself out of the bike as I have to work early, but didn´t feel ANY discomfort at all, not even the usual soreness on the sitbones... Just wanted to keep riding.
That´s why Brooks is still manufacturing theese saddles since the 19th century...

Similar Products Used: WTB Rocket and Silverado, Selle Italia SLR, Fizik Gobi, but none of theese can be considered similar to a Brooks...
Lawrencer2003   Recreational Rider [Sep 28, 2009]
Strength:

Comfortable right out of the box. Can't wait to see what its like broken in. Beautiful workmanship to go with my Waterford.

Its leather so it needs TLC. Heavy if that really matters.

Rode a Terry Fly for years. After chafing really badly on the last century, I remembered that I rode a hard leather saddle for years before the succession of high tech saddles ending with the Fly. Mounted this and was instantly comfortable. Great power and NO CHAFING. I'm a believer.

Similar Products Used: Terry Fly / Flite
fehd   Commuter [Jul 14, 2009]
Strength:

supremely comfortable, its a brooks

when i started workin at the lbs last year, i saw a cool green and copper brooks i had to have for my green bianchi san jose. after a year i have to say it is the most comfortable saddle i have ever had. the green kinda looks pond scum color now, but the copper looks great and it gets more comfortable by the day.