Brooks Swift Titanium Saddles

Brooks Swift Titanium Saddles

• Titanium rails
  • Chrome plated steel metalwork
  • Skived sides and hand hammered copper rivets

[Jul 07, 2010]
Kimball

Strength:

Durability, and smooth slippery finish allows easy position changes (not everyone may like this)

Bag lugs are sharp. I wish it was lighter.

The best way I can describe my Swift Ti is that I do not notice it or think about it. It took me a few months of break-in time and adjusting it to a slight nose up position to get it this way. If you plan on hanging a Brooks bag from the rear lugs I suggest you take a few strips of emory cloth to them as the inside of the punched slots are quite sharp and actually cut one of my hanging straps. No issues since I did that.

Avocet o2 Air
Fizik Arione

[Jun 08, 2010]
mick

Strength:

quality, looks, reasonable comfort, light.

long break in.

have used this Swift for four years on MTB and road bike. It took a year to break in and is not as comfortable as my Brooks Professionals on my other bikes. However it is 200 grams lighter and doesn't look out of place on a modern-ish road bike or MTB. Noticed an incredible increase in price for this Swift Ti and isn't worth the new price. Purchased for 72 quid while on holiday in Yorkshire. It is better than all the other saddles I have used over the years. Great quality workmanship.

Brooks Professional and San Marco Rolls (good). many awful WTB, Velo,other Selle Italia, and Fizik

[Nov 28, 2009]
austen

Strength:

highly stylish. great cut of leather. beautiful big copper rivets. fairly comfy. narrow nose. once broken in, feels good.

this saddle has gone way up in price!! kind of like scotch. you used to be able to get these for less than 200. expensive now. takes a while to break in. longer than a new b17.

i really like this saddle. looks really good on retro race bikes. (early 90's bikes are now retro in my opinion) would look good on a modern bike also. new world meets old world.

b17
professional

[Nov 17, 2009]
UnkaDave

Strength:

Durability (the B17 hardly shows any wear and just seems better with time), comfort (if you get the right one), cachet.

My brother is kinda right - the Swift is very reasonable weight-wise, the B17 would be a serviceable boat anchor. Since I bought the B17, prices have skyrocketed - doubled and tripled.

I tried this saddle at the kindness of Wallingford in Louisiana, but had to reluctantly return it at the six month mark. Its construction, looks, quality, etc. are all excellent, BUT (or maybe butt) you have to be careful that your ischial tuberosities (sit bones) are narrow enough, and I discovered to my embarrassment that despite being fairly skinny otherwise, mine were not. After several other saddles didn't work, I gave up any pride and tried the Brooks B17 (my brother says so named because of its weight being similar to the aircraft of same name) and have been comfortable for the following three years. So, Brooks are great, really, but make sure you get the right one.

Name it - I must have strange anatomy

[Nov 08, 2009]
gaboriginal

Strength:

comfort, looks (that patina that the tan saddle gets is awesome!) long lasting. also the shape of the saddle meens you feel quite secure when you tuck into it with your legs on decents.

it's a tad long. plus you have to cover it in the rain and the saddle cover it comes with doesn't protect the underside of the saddle so I usually tie plastic bag around the saddle and put the cover over the top of this. also some people think it looks odd on my c50.. i disagree. also they aren't cheap.

I bought this saddle to put on a retro build I put together but then enjoyed the ride of the saddle so much I bought another one for my carbon rig. I do about 250km per week and was getting a few saddle sores from the other saddles I tried. after a week or two on the swift... no sores.. and the amount of road buzz this saddle dampens is fantastic. I've since sold the retro bike and kept the brooks for my mid week bike.

ritchey WCS, san sel marco,

[Oct 26, 2009]
Iasonas

Strength:

Beautiful just to look at.
Once it breaks in it is comfy.
Titanium rails have great elasticity.

Takes patience and time to break in.
Expensive.

This may be an unorthodox way to start, but very few would be the alternatives on what I would put on a classic 1970’s Raleigh. Those were coming with Brooks B17 actually but still, this saddle suits them much better. I think that it is either the most beautiful or at least one of the handful of those saddles that really look beautiful. When it comes to looks I was also considering the San Marco Royale, but the idea of riding on leather to me was not exactly that of having a plastic layer underneath. Once heavy thick leather breaks in, it is a different situation. The surface level softness is not really my aim when it comes to a saddle. The Swift takes way too long to break in. You need to work on it a lot and use lots of that proofide (not a lot at once, but a thin layer at a time). I also used a fair amount of leather wax in the beginning (wax based shoe polish also), which did not do as good a job as proofide. A B17 breaks in within a month or so. The swift may take at least 1000 miles and a number of proofide applications for you to sense the initial change. In the meantime you get used to the harder ride and you appreciate how well it is contoured. I can feel the bounce of the titanium rails more than that of the leather!
This saddle is not for everyone. It is for those of us that have the patience and the will to break it in and form it, and in the meantime for us to adjust to it as well. It is the saddle to use if you want to have those sudden bursts of acceleration and be able to slide on it. In the beginning I needed good padding. Now, I can easily ride it without any padding. The swift will likely never become very soft. It is not meant to be. It is a classic performance saddle. For randoneuring it may be slightly hard even after break-in. Like a thoroughbred horse, its elegance and grace are unmatched, but it will not do for just any type of riding and it takes patience and work to get it there.

Brooks B17

[May 12, 2009]
Chris Tubman

Strength:

Beautiful, hand made quality construction. Breaks in to your own personal anatomy. Ti rails have a certain amount of 'spring'.

Not really weaknesses but it will need a little bit of care and is a little bit heavier than some but I'd much rather be sitting in comfort than worry about a few grams. Not cheap but should give many years of service, what price for comfort?

Love these saddles. Used a couple of Brooks over the years and put the titanium swift on a Vitus and my mountain bike a few years ago. Vitus has gone and saddle is now on a Allez Expert. Fairly hard for a couple of hundred miles but now it's like sitting in a tub of butter.

Selle Italia Turbomatic, various 'cheapies'.

[Oct 12, 2008]
plunt

Strength:

Excellent comfort and "feel". Ideal for hard riders and fast tourists

Leather needs a little care

I tried many other saddles, Fizik deserving an Honourable Mention, but still suffered regular chaffing and sometimes soreness on long rides. The lack of sharp side edges on the Swift precludes chaffing and I have found it to be extremely comfortable. The absence of foam or gel means that road buzz can be felt more, but on fast descents this is good, as I can feel the road and judge traction better on corners with poor surface. Larger shocks and bumps are absorbed better on the Brooks as the natural springiness of the leather stretched across the Ti frame is an excellent cushion, compared to the more rigid, hard-shells of plastic / carbon saddles. There is a weight penalty even with the Ti frame, but in perspective this is less than a couple of deep swigs of drink. One day I shall recoup this small weight gain from some other component, but I could not give up the Swift now. The ability to ride for long periods without fear, or large amounts of chamois cream, is just too important to me.
Another benefit with this saddle is that on long hills I don't get pushed backwards, with the need to re-adjust my position every few minutes. The rear of the Brooks acts as a nice buttress to a grinding long climbing effort.

Some common sense monitoring and maintenance is required. After two months I had to increase the tension using the simple adjustment bolt, as slight sag was evident. After this it has stayed stable. Unlike previous reviewers I considered my saddle broken-in in less than a month of mostly weekend rides. These were mostly hard, sweaty, rides in a humid country (Malaysia) so maybe this helped. I have a small pack of tubes / tools strapped under it which seems to protect it well from road-spray. I forgot to get Brook's own "Proofide" when I was in the UK so I applied some mink oil (available from cobblers), which soaked into the underside as a protective coating. I have used mink oil on leather goods for years and suspect it is the main component of Proofide anyway.
It is an expensive saddle, but I have spent more in the last 2 years on other makes trying to cure my chaffing problem.
A great product.

Several Selle Italia and Fizik models Two San Marco, including the Rolls

[Sep 23, 2008]
cslayton

Strength:

Based on previous experience, eventually becomes the most comfortable saddle possible. But read review. Either a strenght or a weakness: heavily-padded and esp gel-padded shorts are a waste of money on these saddles once they are softening, and I tend to look for older shorts or Naline team shorts, which use minimal padding.

LONG break-in period for this saddle. Heavier than tiny racing saddles.

This is the 2nd Brooks I have owned, the first B-17 I bought in the 70's. I eventually shaved some leather off of that one, but it was still heavy as a brick and took FOREVER to break in. Also, the rails on the older saddles do not fit well on the newer saddle clamps.

This Swift is a beautiful thing to behold, but after 2500 miles it is still not flexible at all. This means it will outlast me, but I am not happy to spend so much and have to endure such a long break-in. I am treating only with Proofide and Leather Life. The previous saddle was soaked in neats-foot and beaten with many objects, chiefly a softball bat, and just got good when I was ready to give up on it, 32 years later.

I once test-rode a Schwinn Paramount with a worn-in Brooks that was posterior heaven, and that is why I buy them, but I have more nerve than nirvana so far. My riding weights on these started at a skinny 130lbs in the 70s, up to ca 190; but for this Swift, prob 185 down to 170 or so.

I have read that the hides are (of course) various thicknesses and the buyer cannot be guaranteed to have a soft saddle at any particular point, but apparently there are some rhinos roaming the plains of England.

Brooks B-17, Specialized Avatar, Alias & Toupe

[Sep 05, 2008]
Glyn

Strength:

support, comfort & durability

weight, time to break-in, needs occasional loving care

Have had a swift on my mountain bike for over three years and after a brief break-in period it is fantastic. Just bought an 08 Merckx LXM roadbike and bought another swift. On the first ride it was more comfortable than the fizik and getting better with every ride. Not the lightest but the best.