Fizik Alante Carbon Saddles

Fizik Alante Carbon Saddles

The Aliante is the saddle for those who have not yet experienced a custom fit or for those that think they have. It's the enthusiast choice for racing and training, and for those that think they have everything. A favorite of many of our team members, this was also named Bicycle Magazine's Editor's Choice for 2002. Available in three colors with Carbon rails. 175gm

[Jan 12, 2015]
Dennis

Strength:

Comfort and fit.

Durability, safety, & customer support. The carbon rails on mine were seriously weak or defective.

I admit that this is a VERY comfortable saddle. However, the durability is poor and I judge the carbon rails on earlier models to be very unsafe. I am a light rider (138 pounds) and I don't beat up equipment. I used the carbon rail version for several years without problem. I was never crashed or abused. Yesterday, while on short ride, I hit a really small ripple in the blacktop going about 16-18 mph. I heard a loud crack & the seat was pointing straight up, hanging on only by the velcro seat bag loop attached to the seatpost. BOTH rails fractured in 2 places -- in front and behind the clamp area. This saddle was installed with the proper post clamp for the rails and was always torqued to the saddle and septets spec. There were no previous signs of cracks in the rails. Luckily, I did not crash or injury my self on the sharp rail fragments sticking out of the septets clamp. I was able to ride back to my car, standing up for 4 miles, up & down hills. I sent a claim to Fizik Customer Service, along with photos, but they pretty much told me to get lost because it was out of warranty. I suggested to them that they should put out a warning or do a recall, but they were unresponsive. I can understand failures like this on MTB's or after crashes, but for a low-mileage, well taken care of saddle to fail so completely, there has to be a design or manufacturing defect. I think my replacement saddle will have Ti rails & come from Specialized. No more Fizik's for me,

Selle SMP, Specialized Troupe, Brooks Professional

[Jun 07, 2011]
Brian

Strength:

Pressure relief, comfort, light

I am a little weary of the carbon rails but time will tell.

Well, I bought this thing off ebay. I got it and I was a little disappointed by how beat up it was (no fault of the manufacturer) but I guess you get what you pay for. I had the thought to return it but then I put it on my bike and went out for a ride. There is NO way I am returning this thing!! It is incredible. No more numbness! No more discomfort! No more constantly shifting my weight to get past seems. Like floating on air.

stock saddles. never again!

[Mar 03, 2010]
carbonconvert

Strength:

extremely comfortable, good looking, light

I think the profile of the rails could be made a little less to give the saddle a lower profile, but thats just from an aesthetic point of view. Too much space between the rail and bottom of saddle.
Very expensive.

After riding a fizik arione cx a year, I could not get used to it regardless of the obsessive adjusting. That thing gave me endless saddle sores. I then tried the toupe and didn't care for that either.It also looked too "made in Taiwan" compared to the Italian brands. The aliante from the first ride was a HUGE difference. The padding is just right and the build details make parting with 200 dollars seem not as painful. I have the new version with the smooth cover and faded graphics. Much nicer than previous years.
Bought it on Ebay and seller threw in fizik micro bar tape.

arione cx, specialized toupe

[Jun 16, 2009]
kevin32

Strength:

Excellent sit bone support. Provides plenty of surface area to move around on.

No cutout.

This is for the brand new carbon rail version. A very good saddle with excellent sit bone support. I rode two centuries on it and my sit bones had zero soreness. However, I suffer from numbness and this saddle did little to relieve it. It wasn't terrible and the saddle allowed for adequate shifting to relieve the pressure when it came. Overall I feel that people who don't struggle with numbness will find this to be an excellent match. However, if you suffer significantly with numbness, myself included, I had better luck with saddles that offer a cutout such as Selle Italia and Selle SMP. If only I could marry the two.

Too many to name.

[Apr 23, 2009]
eisidor

Just got this a week ago (Carbon version with K:ium rails), and while I feel it may be over-hyped, it's still a very, very comfortable seat. One of the first things I noticed is that the padding seems to rest on a flexible weave (carbon/kevlar I think). So no matter how hard you press, your sit bones will never touch on hard plastic. I did read some reviews about the saddle eventually sagging on people, and this is probably the drawback to this design.

I also tried the Bontrager RL, and had my sit bones measured at the shop to make sure I had the right width, but that seat was terrible. I also used a Forte Pro SLX for a while. That one wasn't bad, but nowhere near as comfortable as this one (although it was much, much lighter).

It is a slightly heavy saddle, but when you put it in proportion to your total bike weight it's not much. It might add about 1% more weight to your bike than a race saddle would, but I'm not racing.

[Mar 12, 2009]
iploya

Strength:

Ultimate in comfort, for those whose basic anatomy favors the Aliante. Light weight and the Fizik clip for Fizik strapless saddle bags.

Thick carbon rails were a little tricker to position on my seatpost clamp, but that may just be a function of my seat post.

To be specific, this review is for 2009 Aliante with braided carbon rails. I've owned 5 Aliante saddles and it remains my favorite. It is important to distinguish this one from the cheaper Aliante Gamma, which I have tolerated since it came with my last bike. The braided carbon rail version comes with a larger sweet spot and a carbon-framed, Kevlar-based (yellow) hammock underneath. The Gamma has a plastic frame and a smaller, fiberglass (white) hammock. The Gamma has the same basic shape, but when I upgraded to the carbon version the other day I remembered why I fell in love with the saddle. It was soooo comfy the whole ride. The difference is the larger sweet spot. The saddle doesn't feel softer, but it just conforms to the sit bones and soft tissues better. The Gamma felt OK on first sit, but would create a pressure point after about 20 miles. On top of saddle comfort, the carbon railed version is substantially light. Only odd thing I question is whether the carbon rails are for show -- mine had a small half-inch spot on the end of the rail where it looked like the carbon layer had been broken off to expose a plastic core. Not sure if this is just a carbon wrap, but if the saddle stays together I will be happy.

Aliante Gamma; Arionne.

[Nov 10, 2008]
charlesh

Strength:

Superbly comfortable, looks good, light (but not ultra weeny). The scuff guards are a great idea eg protect the saddle when leaning bike against a wall etc.

None.

This is a beautifully built and super comfy saddle. Hard to find fault with it really. I have them on both my bikes.

Selle Italia (various), Selle San Marco, WTB.

[Jun 23, 2008]
John

Strength:

Comfort

Very fragile

I loved this saddle but it broke after only 900 miles. I only weigh 165 lbs., never crashed the bike and it never fell over. One rail broke completely off at the joint between the ti and carbon. The other is cracked. It is out of warranty, and I'm really unsure about getting another one. I could go with ti rails and live with the less comfortable ride vs. carbon, but the ride was SO NICE that I may swallow hard and get another one.

The usual nice stuff-Italia, Marco,Terry

[May 05, 2008]
lcd

Strength:

Comfortable, light

NOISY!!!

Saddle creaks! Tried all kinds of tricks and tweaks to fix it. Different seatposts made no difference.

Fizik Arione, Selle Italia SLR Gel

[Feb 08, 2008]
rkb

Strength:

Quality construction and pure comfort.

I have found none. If you are concerned about the carbon rails, look into the metal railed version.

For the past couple seasons I have used the Fizik Aliante Ti saddle on my mountain bike. The Ti model uses a nylon internal shell for structure and is great on a cross country bike. When I built up my latest road bike I wanted the flexing benefits of the carbon shelled version. The flexing of the carbon shell creates a hammock effect for your sit bones. With so much out of the saddle work done on a mountain bike it is hard to realize the benefits from the added flex. However, on the road, mile after mile the flex of the carbon shell is wonderful. If you have ever started hating your saddle after a couple hours this is a product worth considering.

My carbon Fizik Aiante Twin Flex is the version with braided carbon rails that are covered with a resin coated fabric in the seatpost clamping zones. It also has the Integrated Clip System (ICS). The ICS is allows the rider to use ICS compatable clip in accessories such as their seatbags. The advertised weight of this saddle is 199 grams, mine came in at 209.

There are conflicting reviews of the carbon rails. In my experience as a 150lb rider is they are just fine and in 3000 miles of use the carbon rails are as good as new. Words of caution, check with your LBS and see if there is a rider weight limit if you think this might be a concern. Also pay close attention to the amount of torque that is applied to the seatpost clamp bolts. Five to six newton meters on the torque wrench is what I use.

I have nothing bad to say about this product. So far it has proven reliable as well as durable and is by far the most comfortable saddle that I have ever used.

WTB Rocket V Ti