Fizik Antares Saddles

Antares

The Fizik Antares 00 saddle is the latest addition to Fizik’s road cycling range. The Antares 00 embodies all of the essential Fizik elements: comfort, flexibility, and incredible lightness. The Wing Flex shell flexes downward wher...

Craig Vernon   Triathlete [Dec 21, 2015]
Strength:

Nicely made, looks good, and light.

Just not comfortable on a road bike.

I had always found the Arione (what is now callsed the Classic) comfortable but maybe a little heavy. I ride/raced mountain bikes too and found the same for the Gobi XM. I actually bough the Antares instead of a Tundra because their shapes looked similar for my XC race bike. It wasn't too bad actually but then you move around a lot and are off the saddle a lot too. I decided I'd try it on my Tarmac for a 6 day road tour but that was a very big mistake. I should have brought my old Caymano with me and so by day 3 I had to find a local bike shop at Mudgee and buy something else.

Sitting in the same position for much longer times I found the wings too wide and high, cutting into the back of my buttocks creating nasty saddle sores making every ride excruciating. Aussie Butt Cream and an old Aspide saddle save my arse, literally! I find the saddle too flat transversely for me I like it to be more rolled like the classic arione shape. I like a flat saddle longitudinally but not transversely.

Similar Products Used: Tundra
neil hooper   [Aug 31, 2014]
Strength:

Good looks & light weight

Excruciatingly painful saddle

An excellent saddle for infuriated cycling widows to exact revenge on their absent husbands. This attractive light weight saddle conceals its malevolence for the first 20 miles before causing maximum damage to the victims buttocks.

After a 42 miles on this torture instrument my backside looked like a customer of Madame Spanks House of Pain. The designer should be incarcerated in an asylum for the criminally insane along with other descendants of the Marguis DeSade.

Stephane Guay   Road Racer [Jul 24, 2012]
Strength:

Well built, light, very stable and confortable when you push on the pedals ! Great look.

unconfortable for a smooth ride. Expensive.

Good saddle for training and racing. Unconfortable for commuting, It's a racing saddle. Good value. If you're over 180 pds or you prefer touring than racing (over 4 hrs on the saddle), you better go for the Alliante Gamma.

Similar Products Used: Fizik Alliante Gamma
austincrx   Road Racer [Jan 13, 2012]
Strength:

Looks 'Baller' good!

Everything except the looks:
stiff as a board
no padding
no pocket
wide nose
very long nose

I purchased this saddle because all my cycling friends have Fizik saddles and swear by them, so I thought I'd try it. I selected the Antares (2011 model) because it fit my sit bone width, and flexibility. The problem is that I never got comfortable on it. The saddle has almost no padding, and what little padding it does have is very hard. It's like a piece of cloth over some plastic, with some fake leather over that. Ther is very little flex, and it puts alot of pressure on your taint area. I would be fine for about an hour, but after that and especially in the third hour I got VERY uncomfortable. I moved around ALOT to try and get comfortable, finding myself standing up every five minutes to try and get comfortable. I finally switched back to my Specialized Phenom saddle and immediately fell in love all over again. The fact that there is no relief in the Antares, and it's basically a board caused me to hate it.

Similar Products Used: E3 saddle
Specialized Phenom
Sablotny   Recreational Rider [Aug 14, 2011]
Strength:

Light weight, good looks

Sharp nose catches shorts on standing/seated transitions

Thought this would be the one for me, gave it several hundred miles, but it just gave me pain from 20 miles - I'm used to suffering after 80-100 but this was too much. Its a saddle of course, so YMMV

Similar Products Used: Much of the Selle Italia Flie family, Fizik Gobi & Aliante, various WTB's
aengbretson   Road Racer [Sep 22, 2010]
Strength:

Comfortable, light, came with cool split bartape

Not cheap, saddles are very individual-based

This saddle fits my butt! This is the first time I feel my sit bones on a saddle instead of pressure in between them. I took one out for a demo for a week and even during the first ride, when I hadn't fully dialed in its position, I could tell that this was "the one" (well unless something better comes along). I like that this saddle relies more on shell flex than foam for padding. I found the arione to be too soft on long rides. I also like how this still offers a fair range of seating positions, unlike an SMP or Aliante (but not as many as the arione), as I tend to slide back on climbs or slide up when I get into an aero tuck. Oh, and the split color bar tape it came with was a nice touch.

Similar Products Used: Fizik Arione and Aliante, Selle SMP Composit, Argon 18 ARS1000
bdaghisallo1   Road Racer [Jun 26, 2010]
Strength:

Great support in the back and nice suspension effect with the carbon shell and wingflex feature.

None yet.

This review is for an Antares 00 saddle.

Wow! Great saddle. Had been using an Arione but it always felt a little narrow at the back. The Antares sat on my shelf for about a month before I had the guts to give it a go. It looked so flat and looked like it wouldn't be all that comfortable. I actually bought a kium antares last summer when they were released and rode it for 200 yds before giving up on it. Love this thing.

Similar Products Used: Arione.
slyjackson   Recreational Rider [May 11, 2010]
Strength:

comfort, looks and cool points.

Price and choice of colors.

I rode a test Fizik Antares saddle for about a week or so. I put almost 200+ miles on it. This is by far the most comfortable saddle I ever mounted. I purchased the Carbon rail version yesterday and I find this to be even better for me. It actually smoothed out a lot of road vibration. It smooth out the road buzz so much that I was just cursing along thinking I was rolling at 15-16 mph and when I looked down at my speedometer had 22 mph.

The saddle had nothing to do with my speed at the time by the way, it was the engine :), but the bike was so smooth it did not feel I was rolling like I was. This is a great saddle without a doubt. I did have a need to stand and relieve a bit of pressure on the sit bones around the 35-40 mile mark, but that is expected.

One more thing, I have never been this comfortable in the drops before. This Fizik Antares saddle works great for me. I guess my old Arione wing flex gets a one way ticket to ebay....

Similar Products Used: Arione wing Flex
Arione wing Flex Tri-2
Michael   Road Racer [Nov 15, 2009]
Strength:

Well padded, light weight, light clip system

None so far

I am 195 cm tall and was having trouble finding a perfect saddle to suit my riding style. I went through the Fizik website saddle fit system which I highly recommend.
Using the sit bone measuring system and doing some more research via Garmin Slipstream I purchased the Antares. The saddle is the perfect width for me. It is well padded, flexible and so so light.

Best saddle purchase ever made.

Similar Products Used: Selle Italia SLR Gel Flow
Selle San marco arrow head
marchitect1   Road Racer [Nov 01, 2009]
Strength:

Light and comfortable. Need to have conditioned sit bones. It's not a commuter saddle, it's for an active rider.

If there is a negative point to bring up, I would say that with the Carbon rails, you really should have a seat post clamp the clamps down vertically. A seat post that grabs the rails from the sides may not work so well as the rails are a deep oval shape and a side clamping seat post works best with a round rail.

I've been trying different saddles for years, looking for that perfect saddle. When I found the Brooks Swallow I was in heaven. I had finally found the saddle that really worked for me. Then I became some what of a weight-weenie and my 400+ gram Swallow was not working for me anymore. I needed to find something light. So many people love the Selle Italia SLR I decided to try that in the Kit Carbonio version. That saddle said OUCH from day one. I wanted to like that saddle but it just wasn't working.
Then I decided to try the Fizik Antares with the Carbon rails. Right off the bat I was saying, "I like". It really reminded me of my Brooks Swallow. It has a nice flat back. The padding is just right. I set it up and rode my stationary trainer for a while and tweaked the saddle's height and angle. I got it really close to ideal. Then I went on some longer rides and tweaked just a little more. It turned out that I needed the saddle pointed down ever so slightly. Once I made that final adjustment I was in heaven. I recently rode 100 miles with the least amount of saddle pain I have ever had. Did the saddle completely disappear under my butt? No, but it was not uncomfortable at all. I'm a medium build rider (160 lbs.) with medium flexibility. Fizik's marketing idea to match the rider's flexibility to the saddle is what drew me to the Anteres. I really like this saddle and think I might replace the saddles on all my other bikes with the Anteres.
The Fizik Anteres is just a great saddle and I'm so happy I bought it.

Similar Products Used: SLR Kit Carbonio, Brooks Swallow (Awesome but heavy), Specilaized Toupe, Specialized Alias,