Fizik Arione Versus Saddles

Fizik Arione Versus Saddles

Classic Arione shape now with a center pressure relief channel. Kium rails. Microtex cover. 300mm long x 132mm wide. ICS compatible. Made in Italy. 246 grams.

[Dec 03, 2012]
Theo

Strength:

Flat, doesn't sag, centre relief channel

'Do you believe it now, Trinity?' Yes, this is 'the One'. The Arione Versus is flat front to back, so my pelvis doesn't feel unnaturally tilted forward when riding (a problem for me). It is flat side to side, so my sit bones feel properly supported. It is long and flat enough that the fore/aft position doesn't have to be millimetre perfect (unlike Selle Italia SLR xp) because I naturally sit where I need to, relative to the pedals. It is light enough, but, more importantly, promises not to sag, unlike some previous saddles (Specialized Toupe and Phenom). The centre relief channel is not quite as effective as the Specialized saddles I've owned, but I will take it if the Arione maintains its shape for more than a year. Is it perfect? Pretty damn close, I say! It could be slightly lighter - perhaps a carbon rail version would be in order - but for the sake of 40 grams over the Phenom and slightly more over the Toupe, I will take it anyday. It has solved my back problems and looks fantastic (my only gripe with the otherwise excellent Specialized Alias).

Specialized Phenom, Specialized Toupe, Specialized Alias (still on training bike), Pro-lite San Carlo, Selle Italia SLR xp

OVERALL
[Jul 12, 2011]
waxwing

Strength:

Nice design/graphics.
Basic Arione shape.
Wing flex.
Slick frictionless leather on edges
CX shell + K:um rails
Happier plumbing
Cooler

Uncomfortable on rides longer than an hour
Sharp edges on central channel

I have Ariones on all of my bikes because it is the best -- but by no means perfect -- saddle on all my bikes. Periodically, I try other saddles because it is not completely comfortable. I had high hopes for the Arione Versus because the flat, long saddles tend to work better for me. The central channel provides some extra cooling and my plumbing is certainly happier post ride. Nevertheless, this flavor of Arione is less comfortable for me than the either the CX K:um or the CX carbon $$$ model. The edges of the central grove are a bit sharp and my sit bones/buttocks were a bit numb after only 1.5 hours, despite riding hard. I am mid 170s and tend to spin, so I do carry a bit more weight on the saddle than most others. Anyway, I am going back to the CX carbon model (K:um would be better, but I have a spare CX carbon...) because it seems to distribute the weight better. The entry level nylon Arione, BTW, is rubbish and starts to sag/break quickly.

Fizik (Aliante, Arione CX, Arione CX Carbon, Antares), Selle Italia (Turbomatic, Max Flite, Prolink, SLR), Selle San Marco (Rolls Due, Regal), Prologo (Scratch), etc.

OVERALL