Ideal Saddle Modification Adamo Racing Saddle Saddles

Adamo Racing Saddle

Racing saddle, Ti rails, ergonomic construction (U-Cut). Extremely comfortable!

ICEAXE   Triathlete [Sep 02, 2010]
Strength:

Intelligent design; supports body weight on boney structures, relieves perineum, makes proper TT positioning more comfortable. Ti rails, good customer support.

NOT a versatile saddle--this saddle is a dedicated TT saddle (if you want versatility, get the podium or breakaway). Despite Ti rails, not too light, uncomfortable at first. You will end up placing a little more weight on your bars--but this is acceptable for TT positioning. High retail price.

Specialized can be credited with starting the truly anatomical saddle movement, but these really do take it to the next level. Proper TT positioning requires a steep seat angle, a flat back, and rolling your hips forward. This inevitably crushes your perineum (and other soft bits) into the nose of your saddle. This saddle design truly supports your body weight on your "sit bones" i.e. ischial tuberosities. Yes, you will have some soreness as you adapt, but this has made me able to stay in the TT position so much longer than other saddles. After using this saddle, I put the Podium model on my road bike--and that saddle is truly a wonder; it supports so many body positions/ virtual seat angles-- it really has changed the way I ride. It will only be a matter of time until an Adamo Peak finds its way on my mtb.

Similar Products Used: Specialized BG Pro Ti, Alias Ti, Toupe Gel, Fizik nisene, aliante, pave.
Redracer   Recreational Rider [Jun 30, 2010]
Strength:

Ugly!

Like a piece of wood.

Save your money and your BUTT! I seriously think this saddle permanently damaged one of my sit bones. At 51 years old my butt has also seen some saddle time including two cross country trips and other long-distance tours. What were they thinking? Switching to a Selle SMP.

Similar Products Used: Terry, Koobi, Fizik, Coda ... everything better.
jsrscbr   Recreational Rider [Apr 23, 2010]
Strength:

eliminates taint numbness/chaffing/pain allows you to ride in the drops/areo bars easier and longer

May not work for all riders. Set up could take some time. Break in takes time. Many will give up on this saddle because of the imediate soreness/pain to the sit bones but for those who "learn" how to ride this saddle it could be a the best
money you spend on your bike

Early this year began having numbness problems so i gave the adamo racing saddle a try. Was skeptical at first because of the strange design and also thought it was a triathlete saddle. After 300 miles I can say that this thing works. The taint problems and numbness vanished from the first ride. It is important to set the saddle up properly and give it an ajustment period read the instructions or go on ism website for install. I had no problems with set up although i've had a few years of bike shop experiance. Those interested in this saddle need to understand that this saddle puts the majority of the rider weight on the sit bones so you will be sore after the first few rides. give it time. yesteday was my longest ride 65 miles with no discomfort. the racing version is hard at first and if you like more padding for your sit bones you might try the road or typhoon/century. If numbness "taint" problems are effecting your rides give ism adamo a try, there's a reason tri athletes like them, folks who normally spend 4+ hours in the saddle know how saddle comfort can improve your ride

Rachel   Triathlete [Aug 10, 2009]
Strength:

No bone bruising! Makes riding in the aero position comfortable.

My friends make fun of me because it's so ugly. It's a little hard on the sit bones, but definitely just something to get used to.

I couldn't find any women's reviews of this saddle so I wanted to make sure to let any woman out there know that this saddle did wonders for me. I went through four other saddles and terrible bruising on my way to finding this masterpiece. Everyone said Terry would fix my problems because they're women-specific, and though the women at Terry are very helpful, none of their saddles worked for me. I know this is personal, but if it's that bone in the front part of where you sit that is causing you tons of pain, you have to try this out. You're really not supposed to do this, but I have a half iron in two weeks so I tested this saddle out for the first time on the Timberman bike course and I was elated. I didn't hate riding in the aero position anymore! It's so comfortable. I did not have a problem with adjustments like many other reviewers note. We spent about 15 minutes getting it in the right place and now I'm almost pain free!

Similar Products Used: Terry Fly Tri gel.
trickyricky   Road Racer [Jun 30, 2009]
Strength:

Sweet comfort
Well made
Makes you faster

Price
Takes patience to setup
Non-traditional looks

Finally there's a saddle that lives up to it's claim. After riding Fizik Ariones for the last 3 years, going numb after 25 miles was frustrating me enough to try a new approach. Like others have said, setup takes patience. I spent about 3-4 weeks dialing it in and once I found the sweet spot, I knew it. It sits much further back than my Arione because you sit on the forward portion of the saddle, NOT the rear. Very long rails allow many positions. Try to set it up to duplicate YOUR current position, NOT your current saddle's position. The freedom from numbness is like a license to ride all day. I was amazed to hit mile 45 one day and realize I had experienced ZERO numbness. The saddle puts all weight on the ischial tuberosities, the "sit bones", so for the first 10 rides or so, this area felt tender. After that time, I toughened up and now have no pain in the sit bones or numbness in the boys. SWEET! It's so comfortable, I can get into a fast, flat back aero position and ride 'till I blow up without any discomfort at all. The saddle seems well made, but won't ever be as good looking as an Arione. Or as painful.

Similar Products Used: Fizik Arione, Flite Ti, Specialized Toupe
XYinFL   Road Racer [May 01, 2009]
Strength:

I really liked the idea/solution to a potential problem of numbness.

It worked for numbness, but caused other severe issues

I have several hundred miles on this seat.  I made many adjustments, based on the advice of ISM (including their instructions and set up video).  I had a FitKit done for proper set up, changed out handlebars and stem (FSA K-Wing and Thompson stem- LOVE THEM!).  Ultimately, my mileage suffered severely, as my butt could not wait to get off of this seat.  I was constantly squirming on my return trip.  One weekend, I ended up with open wounds on the sit bones where the seat makes contact.  I have talked, at length, with someone at ISM.  They concur that the seat set up was correct.  I am one of those that can not benefit from this seat.  I can NOT recommend this seat to anyone.  Anyone want to buy a near-mint ISM Adamo Racing Saddle??

Similar Products Used: I am now testing a Fizik Arione CX.
multi grooves   Road Racer [Jun 24, 2008]
Strength:

HEALTH
riding without being in pain
unique looks

takes a while to set up properly
I think its ugly

I was messengering on an SDG Ibeam bel-air. Eventually it began to cause me pain at the end of the day. Then the onset of pain started to encroach earlier into my working day.

I read about the Adamo and took a chance. Like the other reviews; it takes a while to get set up properly- longer than your average saddle. I came close to giving up on it BE PATIENT. You'll have a different pain initially but then it goes and it becomes a pleasure to ride again. The dull perennial pain goes and you no longer feel like you're damaging your soldiers health.

Your riding position will be altered, it may be an idea to match this with a "lay-back" saddle to keep close to your old saddle position?

I stopped couriering months back and recently got a brooks swallow Titanium for my new build but I can't take it anymore. The ADAMO is going back on.
I imagine the majority of folk that don't enjoy this saddle DO NOT set it up correctly...

Similar Products Used: Brooks swallow titanium
SDG I Beam Bel-Air
Lance Dobbs   Recreational Rider [Apr 14, 2008]
Strength:

Reduces numbness

Comfort (for me), value, craftsmanship.

I had high hopes for this saddle, and spent several rides trying to make this saddle work for me, but it's just too wide. Granted...the zip ties around the nose helps, but where the width bothered me the most was a couple inches in front of the sit bone area. This is where the inside of my upper legs straddle the saddle, and it quite literally felt like I was straddling a 6" wide piece of wood (wide and hard). Now, with that said, yes it does what it claims (reducing numbness). But for me, the width was too much to overcome. And for the record, set up wasn't as bad as I was expecting.

Similar Products Used: too many to list
cmattos   Recreational Rider [Apr 02, 2008]
Strength:

Comfort, no more numbness, no more constantly making adjustments to your “equipment” just mile after mile of riding pleasure.

The adjustments. Don’t give up, it just takes time. It took me about 4-5 weeks to find the perfect position, but I am sold for life.

Reviews that talk about how long it takes to get this saddle adjusted are on target. I mounted the saddle following the instructions in addition to making adjustment for my old saddle position and riding style. The first week I was ready to throw this thing away. It was simply too wide and since the front is chopped off, I had done all of my measurements from the back of the saddle. Now I understand that I should have done them from the widest part of the saddle. So, for the next two weeks I adjusted 1or 2 mm farther back, dropped the saddle a couple mm’s and now after 2 plus weeks of doing that (making micro adjustments) this thing works…it really really works. It took a while to get it “just right”, but once you find that sweet spot, you’ll spend mile after mile of very comfortable riding. One note and this is very important, at first I used zip ties to narrow the front of the saddle, but in the end, I found that a metal hose clamp placed at the top (front) of the saddle rails really did the trick on narrowing the saddle front.

Similar Products Used: Too many to name.
kvannucci   Road Racer [Apr 02, 2008]
Strength:

Total comfort!!! It allows the seat to be positioned forward more (you don't have to cut off the nose of traditional saddles) to satisfy the UCI TT bike setup requirements (applies to certain USCF races)... the front of the seat must be 5cm behind the bottom bracket axle

Heavy compared to traditional racing saddles but the weight is offset by the comfort

I have been racing and riding for 23 years and as I get older I tend to race more time trials compared to road races or crits. I have struggled training for TT’s because of my aggressive forward and low position on my TT bike … the biggest problem was numbness and discomfort caused by traditional seats. I have tried them all and finally decided to try the ISM racing saddle. I can’t believe how comfortable this seat is. My first ride was 60 miles on my TT bike (I have never been able to ride my TT bike this far because of discomfort) and absolutely had no pain from the saddle when I finished. I am a definite believer in this seat. Like others I had the seat flat when I started but titled it slightly down as I rode … looks like the tilt is too extreme when just looking at the bicycle setup compared to a traditional saddle but this was the ticket for me.

Similar Products Used: Most get Tri-seats as well as traditional racing saddles used on my road bikes