Performance Forté Pro SLX Saddles

Forté Pro SLX

• The culmination of hundreds of test miles, this lightweight saddle has become a favorite around Performance.
  • Strategically placed cut-out relieves unwanted pressure
  • Perfect amount of padding for long epic rides
  • Carbon-injected shell flexes to provide added comfort on rough roads

• User Reviews (9)

jstickner1@yahoo.com   Recreational Rider [Sep 03, 2010]
    Strength:

Price, quality, looks(except for FORTE', light weight, comfortable.

Brand name.

Saddle felt hard for the first couple of miles. Since then, the saddle is about the last thing I think about when riding. That means comfort. I have put a few thousand miles on it and it has been excellent. No pressure, no sore spots, no chafing. Snob note-A friend with a classic high end steel bike needed a new saddle, tried it, liked it, but wouldn't leave a FORTE' saddle on his bike!

RichBenn   Recreational Rider [Oct 20, 2008]
    Strength:

cheap, light for the price.

Hurts way too much

It hurts!!! I had a Terry Fly before and was looking, I thought, for a slightly narrower saddle(where the leggs travel) to remove a pressure point that didn't show up 'till 60+ miles. But....

Like another reviewer, I find this awfull during the first 10 miles, acceptable at 20, then awfull again around 40-60. I had to adjust the angle and height and position ALOT to even get that!

It weighs 207 grams. Other saddles with maybe 30 grams more actually have some padding, not just plastic(carbon?) I know saddles are personal, but I gotta wonder.

Similar Products Used: Selle Italia, Terry fly, many, many pre-cutout saddles.
    uniredneck   Commuter [Sep 28, 2008]
    Strength:

-Extremely light for this price point (125 grams)
    -Looks great and definitely brought a modern look to my bike
    -I'd say a perfect crit or short race saddle.

-(for my body) Not comfortable for rides longer than about 60 miles.

Lets start by saying I know my stuff, so I'm not just some uneducated reviewer. I'm a certified mechanic and I even used to work at Performance as head mechanic.

Before I start the review, let me drop some knowledge. Everybody's body is different. We have different sit bone widths, so that means a saddle that may be extremely comfortable for one person may be a a** hatchet for the next. This is why you see Specialized making their saddles in 3 different widths.

Alright. I bought this saddle to go on my 1985 Schwinn Super le Tour. What can I say, I love that old steel. On most rides, it takes about 10 miles or so for me to get comfortable on the saddle, but after that it's like a couch.... until about mile 60. Then it gets to where if I stand up...I don't wanna sit back down. I'd say for a race saddle, it's great. Super light at 125 grams, but definitely not my preference for longer rides. Now, this isn't to say that it may be more comfortable for others, everyone's body is different. However, for me, only good for about 60 miles.

Similar Products Used: Selle Italia C2, old Selle San Marco, various other saddles over the years.
    Eric Huber   Recreational Rider [Jul 13, 2008]
    Strength:

Light, moderatly supple out of the bag. The leather cover is excellant. You can't buy a better saddle for the price.

The slot could be larger as in wider but it works well as is.

This is a great saddle for the price. Just can't beat it. The slot really does help and it's wide enough to be comfortable for the long haul. The leather cover is very good also. My San Marco is heading for the parts box.

Similar Products Used: San Marco Island, Flite and Stella.
    Roadman64   Recreational Rider [Jun 05, 2008]
    Strength:

Light. Firm but not brutally so. Seems very well made. Excellent comfort-to-performance ratio.

Lacking bling for the lable consious.

I really like this saddle! Sleek, firm, comfortable. My first ride on it was 70 miles, and it's fine. Plus, great platform for hard efforts in the saddle.

Good news: Mine doesn't have any "stiching." Maybe they changed it, but it's now just a logo stamped into the leather. No chaffing or shorts problems now.

Similar Products Used: Specialized Body Geometry (circa 2000).
    RavX saddle.
    CODA stuff (I really, really dislike those)
    Avocet MTB seat.
    Drewsnutz   Recreational Rider [May 29, 2007]
    Strength:

Light,looks good,inexpensive,free replacement if bought at Performance.

Plastic shell broke but i weigh 225 and got a free replacement so no big thing.

This saddle just works for me,both on short and long(4+ hour)rides.Quality is descent for the price.The best part is the performance will replace it no questions asked if it breaks like mine did,the plastic bt the cutout cracked causing the right side to sag more than the left. It had 100+ miles on it an looked like it too and performance gave me a new one.The saddles themselves are made by Velo so you can find identicle ones from other companies(Titec and Nashbar for example).

Similar Products Used: Various performance,specialized,selle italia saddles.
    Dave   Recreational Rider [May 05, 2007]
    Strength:

price, comfort, style, weight

no cool italian name

I bought this saddle after reading positive reviews and seeing a great deal on ebay. I just couldn't get comfortable on the saddle that came with my $3100 OCR C1 and expected to try several before finding the right one. The forte ended the search. The cut-out really relieves pressure on the prostrate and it's very light stylish. This saddle lets me ride strong and comfortable well beyond the 50 mile mark.

Similar Products Used: Selle Italia, fizi:k
    pedal2tahoe   Road Racer [Apr 30, 2007]
    Strength:

Price, Looks, Weight. Seems to be holding up well after 700 miles. A great saddle under $100.00 DOES exist(for me, at least).

Forte on MY bike?? NEVER!! To hell with all you bike snobs :) This thing is comfortable!

I reluctently bought this saddle on sale, and safe-guarded the receipt & box that it came in-- thinking that there's no way...for 39.95. But I liked how light it was, and the looks, so I gave it a shot. After the first ride I was hooked! Could not believe how much more comfortable it was over my other saddle. No "break-in" period (for me)-right out of the box comfort. 700 miles later, I'm still happy with it. Threw the receipt away....

Similar Products Used: Fizik Pave Sport/ Bontrager Race-Light
    allgoo19   Recreational Rider [Jan 14, 2007]
    Strength:

Light weight.
    Looks nice(to me).
    Well made. Good material.

Badly desinged cut-out. Wrong placement of pads where it needs most. I put a neoprene cover on and it seems to work much better.

This review was originally sent to Performance on-line store but never got posted. I even sent a question what happened to my review but it was never answered. This raise a serious question about credibility of all other reviews on the site. It's their site and their choice not to post what they don't want other buyers to see. I think it's cheapen the whole idea of review.
    Some of the statements in my review are based on other reviews on the same model, so you have to visit the site and read them.
    So here it goes.

=========
    First off the correction of the review, someone mentioned in the review that stitches on the top of the saddle damaged the shorts is totally false. I can imagine the other way, the stitches wear off rubbing against the shorts material over the time. The review poster probably had a velcro sticking out somewhere, most likely from saddle bag. How do I know? Because I had two damaged shorts from it. I had replaced the saddle bag and the problem had gone since.

Now the review. I had a great expectation of the saddle because of so many positive review. I was very disappointed.
    Since I bought it, I had tried in many different ways and distance, from just around the corner for adjusting the position of the saddle to 20 miles ride. First time I tried it just around the corner, it felt very good. This is the first of its kind I owned which is a flat top, thin padded, new type compared to rounded old fashioned ones I have been using. That part was good, it felt different and good, I believe many new models coming out in the future will follow this type.
    You may be wondering why I haven't tried distance longer than 20 miles. The answer is simple, because it hurts, and I can pinpoint what's wrong with the design of it.
    First, the cut away is too narrow that I can't even feel it's there. Second, cut away is not long enough towards the back. Third, behind the cut way about 1 to 1 and half inches, has no pad where bottom of the thing rests majority of the time when you are in the crouching position. The section is nearly level to either side of the saddle and when you push it with the finger, you can feel the plastic through a layer of the leather. This means when you are riding, specially in deep crouching position, big part of your weight applied directly on your thing resting on the plastic. If you look at the saddle, imagining you sitting on it and the sit bones are resting on the place near the stitches, you can see where the rest of your anatomy falls in. It's not hard to imagine that the cut away is missing it by far.
    I'm not saying all the positive reviews are fake and I believe some people can get used to it, actually when I ride upright, it feels better a little. But isn't this supposed to be a racing saddle?

Pros: Light weight. Looks nice(to me). Well made. Good material.
    Cons: Some design flaws need to be worked out.

I don't like to return what I bought, so I'll try different ways and see if I can make use of it. First thing I'll try is putting QR(high end saddle cover made of neoprene used by many triathletes) on. I really hope Performance look at my review seriously and make design change in the future model, instead of being happy looking at all the positive reviews.

It's a good saddle but missing the most important element.
    I would not recommend this saddle.