San Marco Regal Saddles

Regal

One of our most popular saddles. Exceptionally comfortable and beautifully designed. Six, oversize rivets and smooth, clean lines lend gracefulness and elegance to this masterfully designed saddle. Long wearing, full grain leather is supple to the touch and richly finished. Dense, closed cell padding adds extra comfort and support. Available with titanium rails and a solid black cover as pictured. Made in Italy

James   Road Racer [Feb 04, 2012]
Strength:

Firm, very supportive, vintage design looks cool

None so far

I find that this saddle is remarkably comfortable. I just received it 3 Feb 2012 and took it out on a 20 mile night ride. It is quite firm which I find comfy, especially transitioning from a Specialized Romin. I normally use cut out saddles which I have used for the past 8 years. To my surprise this saddle is designed to carry the majority of your weight in the proper place such as your sit bones. The padding is thin, but my Romin felt firmer or equally firm. The design is awesome with the extension of the sides of the saddle. This design prevent the pinch effect that I encountered with previous saddles that I have used. In conclusion my body geometry never agreed with densely padded saddles no matter how they were designed and I always needed cut outs for the relief. This saddle changed the story for me as for cut outs only and I'm in the process of a developing love with a new relationship with this saddle.

Similar Products Used: Specialized Romin 146, Toupe 146, Alias 146, Fizik Arione, Alante, Selle Italia Flite Max
heathb   Road Racer [Mar 19, 2010]
Strength:

Solid build, lasts a long time, classic looks.

Adjusting the saddle can be a bit more difficult with certain seatposts because the edges come down, but I've always been able to get it to the right location, although you might end up scuffing the leather with the allen wrench which makes no difference to me.

I'm 6'2" about 175lbs. Rides vary from 20-100 training miles most everyday. For me I suffered for several years with recurring saddle sores, one year so bad I had to go on antibiotics. I've burned through a lot of saddles and shorts looking for the holy grail until I took a chance on the Regal. Night and day difference between this and other saddles. Not only does it fit my rear like a glove the sides of the saddle are rounded and smooth to prevent friction and the saddle is big enough that you can get maximum power transfer by digging in without worrying about the saddle biting back. Personally I've found this to be the perfect saddle for road racing, cyclocross, and even MTB

Eric_H   Road Racer [Oct 29, 2009]
Strength:

Comfort, durability, classic looks (plus it is still ridden on the bergs of Flanders by Tom Boonen and Stijn Devolder).

Weight. Like the Rolls, the deep skirts might make it impossible to mount on a Trek Madone integrated seat mast.

Please see my review of the San Marco Rolls Ti for details on my saddle preferences and history.

The Regal is a very good saddle. I have it in white with Ti rails. I have been using on my 2nd bike while the Rolls has been my primary saddle for the past year. The two saddles are close in size and shape, the Regal is definitely more firm in its padding but not uncomfortably so. It has a slight concave profile front-back, but nothing as position-limiting as an Aliante, one can still move around fore-aft with ease. The main difference for me between Regal and Rolls is that the Regal is a little wider at the nose and starts to widen a little more in the middle before it flares. The Rolls stays slightly more narrow from nose to flare and that seems to be the deal breaker for me. Otherwise the saddles feel very similar. The Regal has deep side skirts so no buttock pinching from any sharp edges, or catching one's leg or shorts on the nose.

The Regal like the Rolls is very well built with durable leather and a durable shell. It will last multiple seasons, unlike the majority of the lightweight saddles. Yes it is heavy but comfort is more important than weight for a saddle. I will still give the Regal a "5" because it is worthy, the Rolls is the "5+" in my stable.

Similar Products Used: Turbo, Turbomatic, Flite, Aliante, SLR, Arione, Rolls.
nenad   Recreational Rider [Mar 11, 2006]
Strength:

Superb comfort and quality.
Totally pro and Euro way to go.
Perforated leahter looks great.

For me none. Weight weenies will find it heavy. As one of the reviewers put it, it's not the weight of the saddle that's holding you back, dude.

I own two Regal saddles, both with steel rails and perforated. The build quality is exceptional and the saddle provides the right amount of support and coushining for my butt. After a while I forget I am sitting on it. Your mileage may vary. I have also used San Marco Rolls which is very similar to Regal, but the shape of Regal suits me better.

Similar Products Used: Selle Italia Trimatic, Fizik Arione, Selle Italia SLR, San Marco Rolls.
Dinosaur   Recreational Rider [Feb 16, 2006]
Strength:

This is a very durable saddle. Well tested with time and it will last for years.

Because of the way it is constructed it might not work on all seatposts. The skirts on the side come all the way down and you might not be able to get it back far enough. If you have a seatpost with lot's of setback you will not have a problem. Saddles are a very personal thing and it might not work for everyone. It's probably works better for riders with wide sit bones. Set up is very crucial.

I bought this saddle used on ebay about 4 years ago. It is a cross between an old retro saddle and new age (nickle rivets and ti rails). It is very well made, with smooth leather (the new models have textured leather). It's wide and long (150mmx220mm). It's very comfortable saddle. I have numerous saddles I have used over the past couple of years and I always come back to my Regal.

Similar Products Used: S.I. Flite, S.I. Max Flite, S.M. Era, Brooks Team Pro, S.M. Rolls, Fizik Pave, S.M. Aspide
scott   Recreational Rider [Jul 09, 2004]
Strength:

It has worn well considering that I sit on it everyday and it is often in the rain and sun. It still looks new. I can see that I'll be getting years of use out of it.

none except that I paid too much for it (which is usual in Japan)

A very good saddle for touring, not too wide, not too narrow, good amount of padding without being spongey, and it has good support at the back which helps when climbing.