San Marco Rolls Titanium Saddles

• Leather cover
  • Titanium Rails

[Apr 07, 2014]
Guitarplayer

Strength:

Simply put the Rolls is built to last and its beautifully made. There are many brands and models of saddle which literally come apart under your ass but this does not apply to the Rolls. Ive had achingly painful experiences with fizik Arione and Aliante which were agonising to cycle on, ive had a slab of concrete known as the Ritchey Biomax which was just horrid and ive owned a few Selle Italia which were dismal too. Ive always found myself coming back to the good old Rolls and thank goodness its a permanent fixture on my 2012 CAAD 8 105 with Thompson Elite seatpost.

It doesn't look cutting edge or anything like it , but I can get those looks easily enough and have a butt screaming out in pain. A happy bum equals a happy rider and if the Rolls was good enough for some of the very best cyclists ever ..............then I sure aint complaining. Totally recommended for those who value a comfortable perch that lets them cycle without discomfort.

No frills simple design that just plain and simply works , there is a reason this is a classic saddle.

[Apr 20, 2010]
Christina

Strength:

Style, simplicity, length, comfort on long rides (of course this is completely subjective).

I guess it's a bit heavy, but I bought the titanium rail version and it felt lighter than my old seat.

I love this seat! After searching and reading a million reviews of other seats, this was the one I bought and I could not be happier. I wanted something with much less padding and a little narrower than the Bontrager stock seat that came with my bike. My sit bones are perfectly situated and the length of the seat allows me to move around and use my glutes more when climbing and powering hard on the flats. All of this and it's just beautiful to look at!

I've tried a Bontrager, a Serfas Curva, Serfas Performance Rx.

[Oct 29, 2009]
Eric_H

Strength:

Comfort, durability, classic looks.

Weight. Probably could not mount it on a Trek Madone integrated seat mast as the side skirt of the saddle would block the mounting bolt access (I do not have a Madone, but it is worth noting).

Saddle reviews are very subjective and this is not the first "5" I have given for a saddle. Everyone fits a little differently so take any review with a grain of salt.

My saddle history might help here, I am 6' and 168 lbs. I started on a Turbo, then a Turbomatic in the early 90s. Then I switched to the classic Flite Ti to save a few grams. It was fine for comfort initially but I found they always started to sag after 6-8 months of hard training and racing. As availability of the classic Flite dwindled I used the Fizik Aliante Carbon for a year, briefly the Selle Italia SLR, then the Arione, then back to my last 2 Flites. In summer of 2008 I bought a SSM Rolls and Regal both with Ti rails (see my review for the Regal separately). I was thinking bigger might be better for me.

After a year of using both I can say the Rolls is the best saddle I have used and I do not know why I have not been using one for the past 18 years! It has dense padding with just the right amount of cush and it is wide enough at the rear to properly support my sit bones. It is quite flat and allows easy fore-aft movement. The side skirts do not create any "pinch points" under the buttock like the SLR or Arione. The nose is relatively narrow with deep skirts, and ath works for me because I tend to brush the nose of the saddle. Sharp edge noses are problematic for me.

One thing for sure, despite the weight penalty both the Rolls and Regal are built for the long haul. As saddles have gone on a diet in the past 20 years durability has also been decreased. Apart from surface wear on the leather my white Rolls has not started to sag or wear thin.

Turbo, Turbomatic, Flite, Aliante, SLR, Arione, Regal.

[Aug 19, 2009]
Fatboy1963

Strength:

Superbly made, superbly comfortable. What more can you ask of a saddle?

Stylistically, the old school design looks clunky on a modern carbon road bike but, then again, so do I!

Not fat (any more) but I weigh 225lbs and am very hard on equipment. Was very happy with my San Marco Ponza saddle but it started coming apart after 5,000 miles so I cast about for a sturdier replacement and decided to give the Rolls a try. I have been very pleased.

It took me about 500 miles to adjust to the Rolls' more rounded profile but it never felt uncomfortable, just different. From 500 miles on it has been a joy to ride: I have done a number of centuries and hopped back on the bike the next day with no problems whatsoever. Even more importantly from my point of view, this saddle is built to last. It is beautifully made and has passed the 5,000 mile mark with flying colors. I expect many more years of use. Saddles are incredibly personal but if you are looking for all day comfort the Rolls deserves a serious look. As for the weight, no one is losing hill climbs, town line sprints or races because their saddle is too heavy. If you really think that, I can point you in the direction of a good therapist...

San Marco Ponza (just as comfortable and a lot cheaper but nowhere near as durable).

[Jul 25, 2008]
bigtea

Strength:

Beauty and comfort

Low cool factor (for those who actually care about such things)

This saddle is time-tested and used by those who know the value of comfort. Do you think of your bike as a Porsche or a Five-Series BMW? If you are the latter, then get a San Marco Rolls. The beautiful Italian leather only gets better with age and you can go for hours without thinking of what you are sitting on.

The San Marco Rolls has no equal, but I've tried lesser saddles like Aspides and suffered for it.

[Jun 14, 2008]
JDH

Strength:

Comfortable- the right amount of padding. Long enough to allow for different positions. Leather. Relatively lightweight (titanium version). Price is reasonable.

Looks-- it's not the coolest looking saddle for a racing bike.

Though I'm not all that experienced, this is the best saddle I've tried.

The first saddle that came with my used Trek 5200 was a Selle Success which was too narrow and became painful very fast.

The second saddle I tried was a Bontrager Race X Lite-- it was much better but started getting a little uncomfortable after about 15 miles. A long ride on it would be painful.

Then I read the reviews on the Rolls and ordered a Ti Rolls and found it to be more comfortable. Minimal soreness after 2 hours (I'm a beginner--that's a long ride for me).
I move around a lot and the Rolls is long so it allows for a lot of positions. I tilt the nose down slightly. By the way, I'm 5'9'' and weigh 165 LB.
It doesn't look sleek but I keep telling myself are looks worth the pain?
It's not all that heavy at 275gm (though 100gm heavier than the other saddles, it's still less than a pound)

Selle Succes, Bontrager Race X lite

[Nov 04, 2007]
spear bearer

Strength:

Super comfortable, perfect padding density, last forever, entire seat usable, lighter now with titanium rails, stylish, well made, perfect leather finish for sliding fore or aft or sitting securely in one spot.

A few grams heavier at 275 grams than some racing saddles, but give me the comfort, baby!

I logged thousands of miles on my 22+ lb. 1988 steel Schwinn Circuit equipped with the comfortable Selle San Marco Rolls saddle. Several months ago I joined the new millenium and purchased a 17 1/2 pound carbon bike. I became obsessed with maintaining minimum weight components on the bike so I tried some new lightweight saddles. They all caused me pain in the male soft tissue in the prostate area. Even though these saddles had the hole in the middle to relieve pressure, they were still uncomfortable. I was about to transfer my old "heavy" Rolls saddle to my new bike when I discovered that a newer version of the Rolls was available as a Rolls Ti that is lighter in weight because of its titanium rails. I ordered the Rolls Ti, put it on my new bike, and Voila!!!, Bob's your uncle. No more discomfort. The Rolls has no hole in the middle and yet amazingly relieves pressure on the soft tissue area. The designers of this seat are either geniuses or lucky. I've tried to figure out why this seat works and the only explanation I come up with is the contour of the seat. While many seats are more flat across the back portion, the cross sections of the Rolls are rounded in a way that seems to perfectly displace the pressure to the proper anatomical "sit" areas. And even the soft tissue area that is in contact with the seat is cushioned by just the right amount of padding that crowns the seat from front to back. The entire seat is comfortably usable as I slide slightly forward or back depending on whether I'm in the handlebar drops, my aerobars, or on top of the handlebars.

Helpful Hint: I tilt the nose of my saddle a few degrees downward in front to compensate for the added pressure I put on the soft tissue by leaning forward onto my handlebars. While riding I also rotate my pelvic area slightly forward tucking it a little to take pressure off the soft tissue. It amazes me how other male roadies can endure leaning forward on a seat that is level to the ground, or even ("YIKES"!!) on a seat that is raised in front. The Rolls Ti weighs a few grams more, but get one yesterday, tilt the front down a little, and forget about it. I just ordered a second as a spare. Even though they last forever, I get a warm fuzzy feeling knowing that if they ever stop production, I'm set.

Terry Fly Titanium, Forte Pro SLX Carbon, etc.

[Apr 29, 2007]
joloughl

Strength:

Comfortable. Saddle is wide and flat on top, and you can use a great deal of the length of the saddle, depending upon what you're up to at the time. Tough. I like how they look. Still used by some pro's today. Can't argue with that.

The styling may not be to everyone's taste. If you need to floss your happy bits, not for you. Weighs more than floss-saddles, too. I defy anyone to tell the difference (apart from in comfort), when on the bike.

I have used Rolls saddles since the mid 1980's. In fact, I still use the same Rolls saddle I bought! It's on my commuter/beater bike, and it's still as comfortable as ever. It's a little more care-worn, sure, but it is not in any way broken down. I have Rolls saddles on all my bikes (2 steel railed, 2 titanium). If it works for you, you'll never want another saddle.

Bontrager, Specialized, various others. All long gone...

[Jan 26, 2007]
P. J.

Strength:

Stays comfortable for long rides, Fits me when I am in all positions on the bike. Some seats feel great when you are on the drops but not so great when climbing. This seat allows me to shift my body slightly to be perfect for riding drops, hoods and tops. The shape of the saddle distributes the weight evenly between sit bones and front part of the lower region. No numbness at all!

I looks a bit clunky but who cares, it works! Seats should not be purchased for looks but for fit.

Just add me to the fan club! The seat is super comfy and allows me to maintain excellent pedal stroke, high RPM spinning, and power climbing. The shape distributes pressure evenly, causing no numbness, saddle sores or chafing.

The small additional weight that the Rolls carries over its more modern day rivals more than makes up for itself in COMFORT. This is a great racing saddle because it fits so well when you are in the drops motoring along. It also allows you to concentrate on the road ahead rather than on posterior comfort issues. I highly recommend this saddle and can see why Selle San Marco still makes these after all those years!

Fizik Aireon, WTB Rocket V, WTB Devo, Selle Italia Flight, Avocet O2

[Aug 01, 2006]
fireman_bill

Strength:

Cool and retro, Comfortable, Well made in Italy. price...its half the price of the modern saddles but, twice as comfortable.

Weight...I am using the old steel rail version at 340g.

I have been on a long journey...It seems that I am never satisfied with the issue of comfort versus cool and what is trendy now...I have been recently riding a Selle Italia Prolink and bent the rails. So instead of buying a new saddle or removing the saddle from my other bike...I thought of a good ol'friend of mine. I dug through some boxes and found the Rolls saddle that I purchased back in 1990. I used the saddle extensivley back then. I road at least 200-300 miles a week and raced on the weekends. so the saddle got some serious use for about 3 years. When I placed the saddle on my new bike it looked good. Granted we are all used to the newest carbon, plastic saddles of today. I went for a training ride today and it was great! Absolutely no pain or numbness, in fact, I know it was a good ride because I did not think about it really at all. Not only did I get to renew a friendship with an old friend, but I saved a few bucks in the process.

After trying and using different saddles, the answer was always in a old dusty box in the garage.

I am thinking about purchasing the Ti model so that I can use this saddle on my Steel Davidson.

Selle Italia Prolink, Fizik Arione and Alliante, SpecializedBodywhatever...YUK, SDG worst saddle ever.