Selle San Marco Era Arrowhead Saddles

Selle San Marco Era Arrowhead Saddles

The Era shape is the choice of many top Pros when they need comfort for long days in the saddle. Add the Arrowhead system, which removes the part of the saddle that would create unwanted pressure in the perineal area, ouch! Together, they make a comfortable day in the saddle a reality, instead of a dream. Titanium rails. Wt. 225g.

[Oct 23, 2006]
miso

Strength:

Comfortable from day one, and even better after a few months.

No "numbness" in those crucial nether areas.

Not too heavy.

Slight creaking.

After several different saddles with the cutaway design I finally settled on this one and have stayed with it for a couple of years now. Obviously, there is no perfect saddle for everybody, but this one seems to more comfortable than most without paying a big weight penalty.

I've ridden in rain and it has held up well. Haven't tried on on my MTB yet, as I'm afraid it might tear from a spill (too bad they don't make the same saddle with a Kevlar tail section).

My only complaint was slight creaking from contact between the saddle rails and the seatpost clamp. I wrapped some teflon tape around the rails and clamped it down again . . . silence. Another reviewer listed this, too, so it may be a structural flaw, but probably more of an annoyance than anything. I have two of these and only one of them creaked, however, so it may have to do with the type of seatpost clamp as well.

San Marco aspide arrowhead

Selle Italia slk gel flow and slr gel, max flite trans am, prolink trans am

Lots of other saddles that don't have a cutaway design

[Apr 14, 2005]
buzban

Strength:

Relatively light for recreational saddle Good durability (in the 3 months I've used it so far) Fairly comfortable, even for a heavy rider

Can get somewhat uncomfortable after a couple hours, requiring a quick break

I picked up the Era Arrowhead after the start of medical problems that necessitated the cut-out in this type of saddle. Overall, this saddle has been good to me in the few months that I've been using it, but (as with many or most saddles, I'd bet) it did require some level of adjustment, both on the seatpost and in the rider's posterior. I typically take short recreational rides, generally not longer than a couple hours. After a couple of rides to adjust to the saddle's pressure points, this saddle is comfortable for (my) longer rides, although a quick stop to stretch after 90 minutes or so makes a big difference in saddle comfort. The saddle shape is not overly flat, and has fairly generous padding and rear support for its weight. The cutout is comfortable, and in fact hardly noticeable in my experience. I have also found that the shape of this saddle has helped me to experiment in riding position a bit. E.g., the generous but not huge nose length opens up new possibilities up front. This saddle is also relatively light (claimed 225g, I believe) for a recreational saddle, yet pretty affordable. It does not have the lightness of a racing saddle, but I'd guess it's a lot more tolerable for a more average rider. Durability so far has not been an issue. As stated, I'm a recreational rider. I'm male, weigh about 220 pounds (about 75 inches tall), so I put a lot of weight on this saddle. I ride a relatively small number of miles in a week, typically about 100. In summary, I'm surprised at how comfortable the Era Arrowhead can be over a number of hours. After about 3 months of use, however, I still find myself getting off the saddle for a few minutes every 90 minutes or so to avoid serious discomfort.

Selle Italia Genuine Gel, Specialized Body Geometry

[Dec 28, 2004]
johnrg

Strength:

well made

top surface transition from cutout to nose

This is an update to my prior review after doing some testing using a trainer. Doing extended seated riding, I noticed I was getting some discomfort directly at the front of the arrowhead cutout. The saddle goes from a wide to narrow opening and then a relatively hard flat topped surface in front. I had tried to isolate what the minor discomfort was and attibuted it pressure on the insides of the leg since the top was relieved and that in time I'de adapt. Seems I can't sit for more than about 20 mins. without standing so reattached a flite saddle. The flite has a smoother transition to the front without the same discomfort so easier to stay seated. I'm going back to the flite until I can test a few more saddles. Because the arrowhead was not perfect I gave it a 4, now it goes to a 3. I need a bit more padding or relief in the prostrate area but a saddle with smooth transitions on top and to the front.

Flite

[Dec 22, 2004]
johnrg

Strength:

Quality saddle. Nicely padded. Good shape and dimensions.

One of my saddles creaks with every pedal stroke. Mildy annoying but at least I know it's not my drivetrain.

I own two of these saddles. Researched the cutout saddles after a mid season medical issue where doctor suggested I try this type of saddle. The basic Era design had been proven and recomended by a number of riders and so with that in mind and reading a site called aerosaddle.com decided to order and try one of them. I mounted on on my mountain bike to finish mtb race season and another on my road bike. While they lessened pressure in the cutout area added more to the sides which solves my medical issue but took a bit of time to adjust to the pressure from the top of the saddle to the sides. After minor adjustments I've got it set up to where I'm comfortable in the drops and cruising for 75+ miles. It's shorter in length than my Flite which is the saddle style I had used for over 10 years on road and mountain bikes. The Era Arrowhead is nicely padded, has a relatively flat top surface but does give a small amount which I feel matches the curve of the Flite. It's not as long as the Flite so took me a few rides to get it set properly. The Flite has a hard and domed nose. The Era flatter with a very small tapered groove and minimal flex in front. I think the saddle is a good replacement for the Flite if you have any need for a cutout. It's relatively light, well made and appropriately shaped for a 155lb racer.

Flite Ti