Selle San Marco Regal Saddles

Regal

Selle San Marco Vintage Regal Saddle. This saddle has been active on the Pro race scene for over 20 years and is still used today by some of the world?s finest riders. The classic Regal combines comfort and style with a formidable race pedigree. A classic

ari   Road Racer [Sep 14, 2006]
Strength:

Nice and wide for sit bone support.
Rivets look awesome.
Relatively low weight for a saddle of this size. (300g may seem heavy, but it's just a shade more than a Flite Genuine Gel ... and I believe it's lighter than a Turbomatic or the heavyweight champ, Brooks.)
Great value in this day of $200 saddles (I'm looking at you, Fizik).

Rounded "hump" shape causes some numbness.
Padding doesn't extend all the way to edges.
Smooth leather cover is a bit slippery.
Weight weenies might find it too heavy.

There are a lot of things I like about this saddle -- it's one of the best I've tried -- but ultimately, it's probably not the right one for me. I have rather wide sit bones, so I'm much more comfortable on a wider (~150 mm) saddle like this one or a Fizik Vitesse, and I can't stand narrower (130-140 mm) saddles like the Arione, SLR, Flite, etc.

The width of the Regal is great, and it provides excellent sit bone support (which is a huge plus for me). However, the saddle is rounded from side to side, so the center "hump" of the saddle pushes up into the soft tissue and causes me some numbness. In addition, the padding does *not* cover the entire saddle -- the riveted area at the rear is entirely unpadded, so the padded area is only 12-13 cm wide. If you need to use the whole width of the saddle (as I do), this gets uncomfortable rather quickly -- a little padding would go a long way in this area.

Similar Products Used: Vitesse, Arione, Turbo, Flite, SLR, XO Genuine Gel.
OVERALL
Tom Kunich   Recreational Rider [Jan 19, 2005]
Strength:

Fits almost everyone.

None!

The Regal is the best all around saddle made. The Titanium model is very light but I never complained about the weight of the steel version.

Similar Products Used: Perhaps 30 different saddles in all. The Regal is one of the rare saddles that I can ride all day.
OVERALL