Selle SMP Carbon Saddles

Carbon

Selle SMP's advanced Carbon Saddle uses an extremely light weight carbon fiber casing that's uniquely shaped featuring SMP's signature wide cut-away and dropped nose to relieve pressure to soft tissues and promote blood circulation. Designed for high performance without neglecting comfort. AISI 304 tubular steel rails. 263mm x 129mm. 165 grams. Available in Black White Silver and Red. Made in Italy.

Selle SMP Carbon User   Road Racer [Aug 15, 2014]
Strength:

Disappears

Cost

I rode an SMP Evolution which was great but the leather wore out, and a SMP Dynamic which was even better with its butt bump for extra power but the leather on that started to wear too. Rather than fork out for another replacement that would wear out again, I took the plunge, got one of these and was amazed.

There are a lot of reviews on the Net that sound like they are taking the mickey but it really is true that the saddle appears to disappear. *I really have looked down to check that I am sitting on my saddle*. I think perhaps that it numbs the area that it comes into contact with, leaving me with the feeling that I am levitating.

The glide provided the glossy surface is also wonderful. No wonder Dave Zabriskie recommends lubrication of the perineal region ("lube em or lose em"). The smoothness of this saddle achieves the same effect as a lot of lubricant and translates to comfort. I think the reason for the comfort is that that all fore aft movement and swivel (now freely allowed) is not converted into verticle crotch impact.

I have yet to try it on rides longer than 30 miles, when I might consider swapping back to my Dynamic, but on shorter rides including my commute, I am defying gravity. The saddle looks really cool and full-on too.

I did need to adjust both the angle and fore-aft position a few times before I was comfortable. I took my allen key on the first few rides.

Similar Products Used: Evolution and Dynamic from same company
amy hirsch   [Jan 24, 2013]
Strength:

Fits for smaller females RARE! Strong and durable, very comfortable after a bit of adjustment ( should have a fitter do it for you ), color is cool, blood flow stays at peak with no restrictions , extremely light, best saddle I've ever ridden on.

price, very narrow so 80% of women can't use it.

I've been through several saddles and must say this one is the finest yet. It fits very well to my body frame ( 110lbs, 5'4 tall ). It's very rare to find a saddle this narrow that properly holds the sit bones. Ladies, if your in great condition and have a narrow pelvic you will LOVE this saddle. Most male riders I've raced with can't believe it's comfortable but IT IS! If you have the money and you still haven't found that perfect saddle give this one a shot! Have it fitted properly or you'll hate it. Have put about 6,000 miles on it and it's awesome! Good luck!

Tom Barry   Road Racer [Mar 26, 2011]
Strength:

Prevents numbness
Extremely comfortable
Easy to adjust position in saddle
Lightweight
Bling! Most other riders can't believe that it's actually comfortable. Looks incredibly sexy with my white frame and EC90 wheelset

Unique saddle shape requires proper fitting; I wouldn't recommend self-adjustment with this saddle

Takes awhile to get used to having all your weight on the sit-bones; sit-bones were very sore the first few rides

Makes me very paranoid about accidentally dropping my bike and cracking a $600 saddle

Was able to snag this saddle for a fantastic price of $160 on craigslist from a rich buy-before-I-try doctor type. I had been having really bad issues with numbness and saddle sores on previous saddles for any rides over 40 miles, and this saddle looked too interesting to pass up.

The Selle SMP Carbon saddle felt really weird at first. Almost all of your weight is on the sit-bones. I think you might just need to get lucky in terms of body shape to enjoy this saddle. My sit bones just happened to perfectly sit in "grooves" on the saddle. It took a few rides (and a fitting) to get used to, and I remember my sit-bones being very sore the first time I took this saddle over 30 miles. However, after a few rides, I fell in love with this saddle. Pair it with a nice pair of bibs and it literally disappears beneath you! The full carbon makes it really easy to slide along the saddle whether you're sprinting, climbing, etc. I have had zero problems or numbness with the family jewels, even on century rides and beyond.

I can't even imagine going back to a saddle without a huge cutout. I couldn't have rationalized spending the MSRP of $600 or so for this saddle, but if you can find a deal on one or have deep pockets, I highly recommend it! However, I would try to demo it before purchasing. It took me about 200 miles and a proper fitting to really fall in love with this saddle, but I'll now be a Selle SMP guy for life.

brett   Road Racer [Mar 14, 2011]
Strength:

shape
comfort
smoothness
looks

clear coating starting to flake off

I've tried every saddle I could find to have one where I didn't go numb, and this is the only one that's worked for me. It's truely amazing!!

Similar Products Used: all saddles I could buy
Noupy   Recreational Rider [Jul 18, 2009]
Strength:

comfort, comfort comfort
looks like a million bucks !!!

Costs a million bucks :-)

For the past 2 years I have been riding a toupe saddle, it took me over 1500 km to get used to and like it.
I got a chance to try the SMP .
A friend of a friend bought it new and could not ride it !!!.

My first ride was 50 km and at the end it
was like the saddle was not there.
ride after ride the same feeling, this saddle was made for me.
My 2 (sit bones) fall right into the dimples in the saddle I guess that is why
I am so comfortable on it.
and with the clear coat finish on the carbon it is very easy to slide up the back to get more leverage when powering up a hill .
I did 190 km on this saddle and it was very good ,no comparison with the toupe.
If you can try one ( the all carbon one)
you will be surprised like I was...

Similar Products Used: Toupe, Arione.
longfastglass   Road Racer [May 26, 2008]
Strength:

comfort, weight, comfort, cool looks, comfort - wait, did I already say that?

Price until I realized that I was in total comfort!

I have tried many seats in my riding career but this one takes the cake. I chose the Evolution model as the price was right from whom I purchased it. The first impression was that it was a little on the hard side. I ended up with a slight nose down position which felt the most comfortable. After several 2+ hour training rides I have felt NO numbness or discomfort with the old twig and berries! At first glance one might think that there is a great possibility of getting something important trapped in the gap (maybe if you ride naked...). I can not feel the gap at all. This seat is truly a joy to ride!! I just wish I was in shape to ride as fast as it looks!!