Selle SMP Composit Saddles

Composit

The Selle SMP Composit features a unique ergonomic center cut-away and dropped nose to relieves pressure on soft tissues and promote blood circulation.Carbon infused Nylon-12 shell. AISI 304 tubular steel rails. 263mm x 129mm. 200 grams. Available in Black White Silver or Red. Made in Italy.

domogo   Recreational Rider [Aug 20, 2009]
Strength:

Light
unique, ergonomic fit

as noted in another review, titanium rails should be there. SMP emphasizes weight with this product...

Upgraded from my stock saddle, needless to say there is no comparison. on top of dropping almost 150g (this is essentially the carbon model with leather stitching), this saddle is incredibly comfortable. the thin carbon actually allows the saddle to flex in a way many others dont, especially in places of critcal contact. Instead of sitting on top of a cushion or a seat, i feel like im planted and supported by this saddle. Even though a ton of my riding is in the city, bumps and train tracks are taken in stride. It does take some tweaking to find that dialed in fit, but when youve found it you know. Benefits for my boys are the bonus. Great design, great saddle.

cogsci   Road Racer [Apr 10, 2009]
Strength:

Comfort and rail length.

Embroidering eats shorts, heavy steel rails instead of titanium for cost.

I have tried many many saddles before this and could never get comfortable. I either experienced numbness upfront or sore sit bones or a combination of the both. I followed the directions on fitting this seat different than most and was comfortable INSTANTLY. I only messed with nose height 2 or 3 times before I found the perfect spot. The only concern I have is with the stitching of the logo which seems to be eating my very expensive shorts. I'm not sure if it's the width or the non sliding material but sometimes my inner thighs hurt. I'm a very narrow and thing guy so many my hip width isn't as wide as most. I do have a 32 waist though. For the price paid I would of liked titanium rails.

Similar Products Used: None but I tried every saddle on the market.
aaronbarker   Recreational Rider [Apr 04, 2009]
Strength:

Good construction, light and sturdy, comfortable different look than any other saddle.

Generally more expensive than other saddles - I got lucky on my deal - a bit tough to fine tune the position due to the saddle being generally different than others on the market.

I've always been intrigued by the Selle SMP line and when my San Marco Magma cracked in half, the search was on. I tried a couple generic saddles I had lying around until I happened across an Buy It Now price I could not pass up. It was even in yellow to match my Marinoni frameset. It took a bit to get it positioned right but once I did, it feels great. Had it out on rides up to 40 miles and have been comfortable and fresh all the way. The Composit saddle is padded only by the leather covering but once you've got it set, padding won't matter as much as position. I found I like mine a bit more forward and angled very slightly downward. Nice and light, the construction seems quite good and durable. I'd definitely recommend.

Similar Products Used: San Marco Magma, Fizik Arione, Selle Bassano, Gipiemme Pluma, San Marco Aero and Genuine Gel.
bigmig88   Road Racer [Feb 04, 2009]
Strength:

Cool looking, awesome comfort,

price! but then again its worth it

I have the composit (on my training bike) and the evolution (on my racebike) and I love them both. The composit is a damn hard saddle to feel but the ride is phenomenal. I was having problems with my specialized toupe, numb parts, and just needed something else. After some research I got the evolution, and then later the composit. This is the ferarri of saddles, great for the health of the boys. I did a longer review on my website http://www.roadcycling.co.nz/Reviews/smp-strike-saddle-review.html

Similar Products Used: toupe
LosAngelino   Road Racer [Jun 03, 2008]
Strength:

Weight resting on muscle, rather than soft tissue. Ergonomic design. Quality construction.

Expensive. On the heavy side.
The stitched logo on the newer models tend to wear out your bibs. That brings it down one notch in the overall rating. The older model with the stamped logo gets a 5.

The Composite has a sophisticated anatomically correct ergonomic design that sets it apart from other saddles, and to some extent, from other SMP models. The lack of padding means a smaller area of contact with your body, but also less friction. It has a stiffer, more responsive, athletic feel than it's softer siblings. The saddle has indentations for the 'sitbones', which makes it unique among the SMP family - the others have padding stretched over the dimples, so the benefit of the dimples is somewhat nullified.

For longer rides, I can slide onto the back ridge of the saddle, or onto the beak for a completely different feel. I ride for 2-3 hrs, so I can't say if the saddle holds up to longer rides.

The saddle gives plenty of control with your thighs, imparting an extra bit of confidence for those rapid weight shifts needed for swift descents.

Similar Products Used: Evolution. SMP Pro. Taupe. Arione.