Selle SMP Evolution Saddles

Selle SMP Evolution Saddles

The Selle SMP Evolution Carbon Saddle features a revolutionary ergonomic design friendly on soft tissues. Wide cut-away and dropped nose relieves pressure and promotes blood circulation. Designed for comfort in all riding positions. Carbon fiber infused Nylon-12 shell. Carbon rails. 180 grams.

[Nov 04, 2013]
Adrian

Strength:

shape, length of rails, cut out.

price, takes some time to get the perfect position

love this saddle, best saddle I have had in over 20 years of cycling. Just takes time to get the saddle perfect, also if your seat height is wrong you wont be comfortable. You really need to get the 3 parts correct, fore/aft setting, angle, and seat height.

[Apr 07, 2013]
Chris Bishop

Strength:

Minimal but still effective padding. Narrow saddle with ample room for nerve protection and blood flow. Very adjustable with lots of rail. This is a high quality product, the attention to detail is superb.

Lot's of embroidery.

I've purchased 9 saddles trying to lose the numbness issue. ISM Adamo's have worked well but have very limited movement and left me with an aggravated butt because they're flat back there. The Evolution (SMP) has a channel from front to rear and gives plenty of room to move fore and aft. And do I move on my saddle! If I had a TT bike it would have the ISM but for a Road bike, Selle SMP is the bomb. Folks, if you ruined your "parts" would you pay $500 to have them fixed? Yeah, makes the cost of the seat very reasonable.

Fizik, Specialized, ISM Adamo

[Apr 06, 2013]
satanas

Strength:

Comfort, long rails make positioning easy

Pricey, but worth it

The most comfortable saddle I've ever ridden, with zero numbness or discomfort; many, many saddles were tried in the past decades, none totally successful. Persistent numbness has been an issue at times in the past, especially after long randonees like PBP and similar. With the Evo I've had zero discomfort, and am now going to have to buy a few more of them for some of the other bikes. I also briefly demoed the Stratos, but for some reason this didn't suit me nearly as well as the Evo.

Another great thing about the SMP saddles, for me anyway, is that the extra long rails mean that a fairly rearward position can be achieved on a bike with a steep seat angle and a normal seattpost(!), something not usually possible.

Although they are expensive, it seems enough people hate them that they can be had for a slightly better price in good used condition. :-)

[Apr 25, 2011]
iploya

Strength:

Looks cool. Bent-down nose relieves forward pressure.

Numbness. Very narrow.

I've used this saddle now for several months, and am close to giving up on it. Ironically, contrary to its advertising claims, it is actually now CAUSING numbness - which is a problem I didn't have before. I have friends who loved this saddle and encouraged me to give it time, which I did. I put the steel-rail Evolution on one bike and the carbon-rail Evolution on another other bike. They both give me the same problem. I've adjusted to it enough that it DOES feel good the first 15-20 minutes, but then it gets bad. I can rule out the rail-width as being the source of the problem, since I had previously tried the wider SMP Forma (that one was awful from the start). I really, really wanted the cutout to have some magical benefit, but at least for my anatomy, it does not live up to its claim. The one feature I do like is the bent-down nose, which does eliminate some forward pressure. But the numbness is a separate issue. You have to make up your mind though - it apparently works very WELL for some people, just not for me. As for body type, I am about 175 lbs, 5'11".

SMP Forma.

[Feb 09, 2011]
TheronC

Strength:

Comfort, anatomically correct, shape allows for all positions to be comfortable. Wide center channel eliminates numbness and pressure on soft tissues.

Way too expensive

Absolutely the best saddle I have ever owned in 25 years of riding and racing. I have the Composit model with ZERO padding and it is still amazingly comfortable. The saddle fits almost perfectly and even after riding over 100 miles in the mountains I do not suffer any numbness, pressure points or hot spots. I have tried over 30 saddles in the years I have ridden and will never buy another brand after this - they are that good.

Selle Italia, Fizik, Selle San Marco

[Dec 19, 2010]
kbwh

Strength:

Comfort when dialled in. Long rails. Build quality.

Rather pricey. Finding the perfect fit (angle, setback) takes time.

This is an extremely comfortable saddle once the fit is dialled in. Expect to use some time on this. A micro adjustable seatpost clamp that is easy to work with is recommended.

I followed Selle SMP's advice to start with the saddle level and tip the nose down, ending with the forward high point of the saddle 7mm lower than the rear.

It is not a saddle that invites to a lot of moving around, but I was used to that.

The Evolution is best suited for narrow-hipped riders. Selle SMP have the Stratos and Glider for people with wider and very wide hips.

Selle Italia Flite (the original version).

[Dec 07, 2010]
michaeld-c

Strength:

If the shape fits you I think the huge cutout has real advantages.

Huge rail length to assist with positioning.

Unlike more conventional saddles where you can normally find some position which works for a while, if the shape doesn't suit you, it's impossible to get comfortable.

Much heavier than claimed.

The wavy shape made setting up the right level a bit of a challenge.

Very expensive compared to alternatives of same spec.

Promised myself I would give this ten good rides before forming an opinion but just couldn't do it. My sit bones seemed to be precariously balanced along the tall edges of the cut out and this caused a lot of pain and an inability to move around on the saddle.

Had my sit bones measured at the shop (130mm wide in case you are wondering) and was assured this was the right size but I just couldn't get it to work. My wife has the same sit bone width and she tried it for a while without success too.

All the technology sounds good in theory but for us it didn't materialize in practice.

Fizik Arione & Arione CX. Fizik Antares. Selle Italia SLR. Selle San Marco Aspide. Selle Bassano Mission. Selle Italia Gel Flow. (I've been able to make them all work well for me to a degree except the Selle Italia SLR and Selle Bassano Mission.

[Nov 23, 2010]
cjones192

Strength:

comfort
aggressive style

Expensive

If you have any pain or soreness downtown then this saddle is great. Don't go for more padding that will just make it worse.

[Sep 01, 2010]
c362137

Strength:

Lite and looks cool.

narrow and hard.

This was the worst saddle I've ever used. It is very narrow and hard. It felt like it was cutting me in half from between the legs. I couldn't even tell there was a open groove down the middle.

I don't use it now, but the Terry Liberator is the only "big groove" saddle I've use.

[Jun 22, 2010]
Brian B

Strength:

Comfort, protection for guys over 40

Price but it is worth it

This saddle was a big improvement from the Fizik I had before which seemed great til mile 80. If you are over 40, have any prostate issues or just like riding centuries the Evolution or it's cousins based on your needed saddle width are the way to go