Selle SMP Stratos Saddles

Selle SMP Stratos Saddles

They may look a bit funny, but SMP saddles are designed for ultimate comfort in all riding positions. Wide cut-away and dropped nose relieve pressure on soft tissues and promote blood circulation. AISI 304 tubular steel rails. Nap leather cover. Foamed elastomer padding. 266mm Long x 131mm Wide. 260 grams. Black. Made in Italy.

[Feb 15, 2017]
Phillysim

Strength:

Very comfortable - don't know it is there

Expensive

Bought this model based on Selle SMP guidelines (I'm a slim 5 ft 11 in, 140-145 lbs).
Easy to attach to bike - followed SMP instructional video for positioning and only had to make a couple of minor adjustments during first ride.
The shape works very well for me with good support but no pressure points. I have had this saddle about 2 months and put about 300 miles on it. The furthest I have ridden on it is 70 miles. It was as comfortable at the end as at the start of the ride. I am extremely pleased with this saddle and it has ended my saddle quest.

Compared to the other saddles I tried:
The Fizik Arrione CX gave me an incredible connection to the bike and to the road - unfortunately the connection was simply too strong, by 40 miles it felt like my sit-bones were sitting on spikes. I persevered for 500 miles on this saddle with lots of adjusting, but it simply did not work for me.
San Marco Rolls Due. This fitted me better than the Fizik, but overall I found the rounded shape (side to side) not particularly comfortable.
Performance Forte Classic. This was a nice saddle, fitted me better than the Fizik and the San Marco. And was v. good value.

Fizik Arrione CX
San Marco Rolls Due
Performance Forte Classic

[Jan 23, 2012]
drachung

Strength:

comfort, easy to follow setup, expensive but good value

none so far

I selected the stratos from the sizing chart and reading the reviews. Set it up based on instructions and did minor adjustment. Rides very well and i conformed immediately and felt like it wasnt there. Good value and necessary protection. The cost of not buying can end up being more

[Dec 17, 2011]
Simon

Strength:

Pure, everlasting comfort and support. Does what is says it will do. Amazing comfort, that keeps getting better.

Weight, if that's a concern for you. Price, vs. other saddles - but worth it... once you go SMP, you never go back. Time to adjust... give it time!

Follow the sizing guidelines on their website and then... Just buy it!!

Yes, you'll have to adjust it. Yes it will take a while to get used to (in some cases 3 months) but persist - it feels totally unlike any other saddle. Yes, it's expensive, yes it's 'heavy' vs. others. Yes... it is THE BEST saddle you will ever ride!! Once you dial it in, you will forget you're even sitting on a saddle, it's like being cupped by the hand of the lord (I'm not religious). The support front to back is simply unsurpassed.

You'll notice this most when you get up and give it a blast then sit back down and there is NO pressure and you feel totally supported! The shape mirrors the curve of your pelvis, unlike flat saddles; you will get used to it.

Most saddles have no support for the rear of the sitting position, this does. So don't be confused in to thinking this means something's not right, it's intentional and over time, fantastically comfortable for your glutes lower back and the rest. This is an ALL DAY saddle.

You can move forward or back slightly depending on if you're climbing or in the drops. You will feel NO pressure on your nerves, just your sit bones (learn to tell the difference). Over time, the sit bones sensation totally disappears and becomes a familiar, reassuring feeling. It gives you back all the power in your hamstrings and quads. I was able to try multiple versions before finding the right one. The shop owner (the local distributor) encouraged this and I settled on the Stratos because of the padding; takes the burn out of the 'rear-points' of your sit bones (for me - not necessarily for others, had tried the Composit [same as the carbon but with leather] before).

Follow the instructions. Start with it totally level and adjust the way you sit, not the saddle. If you do adjust, just by millimetres, tiny amounts, don't throw it forward too far (unless you're time trialling). Best advice - roll your hips forward and sit your hips in the centre of the saddle as a starting point, this will orient you with the sweet spot of the saddle. IMPORTANT - take all your measurements... this is a shorter saddle than the Arione for example. Find out where the back of your sit bones are first, then mirror this with the SMP. It is much further forward if you're on an Arione at present. You don't sit as far back on this as you do a Fizik. If anything, further forward; which gives you more power over the bottom bracket. And frees up your hamstrings and quads... trust me you'll grind away for hours with all the extra power you get back... love the burn!

Once you're done, it will be your legs and lungs that can't keep up; not your comfort level!! Enjoy!

+ Fizik Arione, Token Slim Channel, Selle Italia Gel Flow.

[Aug 14, 2011]
allan

Strength:

No pressure on prostate gland and no nerve pressure to cause numbness.

None so far.

I have ridden 6 times since my purchase. Rides have varied from 20 mile training rides with sprints and others with just hillclimbing. I just completed a 42 mile ride with friends with an average speed around 19, and all I can say is, YEAH! Messed with the position just once after initial ride, due to it being too far back. One click forward, and my sit bones were the only pressure on the seat. No numbness, no pressure on my 59 year old prostate, and a feeling of more quad strength freedom. Everything that they said it would do it has done.

[Jan 21, 2011]
stephensonian

Strength:

extreme comfort, does not snag on your shorts while out of the saddle and aesthetically pleasing to look at

Tried the Selle Avant first and I realized it was too wide. after much research I decided to try the Stratos after riding many other seats, instantly I knew I had hit the jackpot with the Stratos after 162 miles with no discomfort.

San marco, selle smp avant, brooks,fizik etc.

[Mar 19, 2010]
Willie Fargoer

Strength:

looks good
numbness elimination in privates

cost
adjustment is impossible
pressure points become very pronounced

The Stratos looked like a good idea to end the numbness issues that have plagued me. I tried as hard as I could but the adjustment is just impossible. The seat shape makes it very hard to not be pushed either forward or backward. The use of the downturned beak escapes me, useless. You can adjust it for any one position just fine but it makes others uncomfortable. The wide cutout makes for two very annoying pressure points on either side toward the front portion of the saddle. Just didn't work for me, but others shape may be different and cause different outcome.

Fizik - bad
Itallia Flight - ok

[Mar 02, 2010]
Twodogs riding

Strength:

comfort, looks cool

weight maybe but it is worth it

I have been using SMP Stratos saddles now for over 1 year - have done over 10000km on one. A very comfortable saddle - especially on long rides. When I first got it I didn't think it was much better than my gelflow selle italia on my other bike but after 2 weeks of riding I tried riding my old bike - it was like I was sitting on a metal fence in comparision to the SMP - I couldn't go back to any other saddle now. I have since bought a Stratos for both my road bikes now

Selle Italia Gelflow

[Mar 28, 2009]
youngblud

Strength:

No numbness.
Shape fits me perfectly.
Fit and Finish is great. No scuff or color wear on the leather after 500 miles.. I have the black one.

Price...
A lot more pressure on the seat bone but you'll get use to it and it'll away

This is my fifth saddle that I've tried and it's by far the best saddle for me. The other ones all gave me numbness no matter how much adjustments I made. I've had a little over 500 miles on this saddle and there's no feeling of any numbness at all even on the first time I sat on it. The only pain I get once in awhile is the pressures coming from my seat bone, but it goes away the more I ride. I also heard the Fizik Aliant is also comfortable...I was debating on the Aliant over the Statos, but I'm glad my purchase this one. The saddle is worth every penny that I paid. This is a keeper.

From Worst to Good
San Marco Ponza, San Marco Zoncolan, Fzik Arione, and Bontrager Race

[Mar 27, 2009]
photogray

Strength:

Light weight, radical design

Price

Like every saddle on the market it has to fit your anatomy. That said, it is comfortable enough on very long rides for my old bones. It definitely eliminates any numbness issues.

Selle Italia Gel, San Marco Aspide

[Dec 03, 2008]
acid_rider

Strength:

comfortable

expensive