Specialized Alias Saddles

Alias

Available in 3 different widths to ensure a perfect fit for a range of riders with different sit-bone widths Scientifically proven Body Geometry design with V-Groove plus window relieves pressure and improves bloodflow , even in extreme riding positions Carbon reinforced nylon shell is light and stiff Memory foam & tuned foam padding

Roady1   Recreational Rider [Aug 14, 2010]
Strength:

Good Fit, 3 optional widths for personal choice

Cheap BG Logos on side (easily removed)

Purchased as replacement for wider, softer seat. (Softer doesn't equate to more comfort!) Excellent fit and extremely comfortable for long distance rides. Choice of 130mm, 143mm or 155mm width allows for exact personal fit.

Similar Products Used: Specialized Avatar Gel
jamesajjr72   Triathlete [May 22, 2010]
Strength:

Comfort of course! Perennial slot wide enough and don't collapse under your weight. I weigh 142lbs! The covering is nice with no stitch lines that rub after hours of pedaling.

I don't like the logo's but who's worried about that. I can't see them when I'm riding.

I purchased this saddle over a year ago and never used it until recent. It was in my storage along with several other bike parts. I swapped out to this after a year of riding on a Fizik Arione that I could not find comfort on and also a ISM Adamo Race saddle. Neither saddle worked out for me thru hundreds of tweaks and adjustments. I found myself with a new raw spot or considerable numbness every ride within 20 miles in the saddle. Well long story short I mounted this saddle just out of despiraration for comfort and found that this was the most significant saddle that I ever sat on. I have the 143 width at fit me perfect under my sit bones. I prefer a firm saddle that help with power transfer while in long term TT position on P2SL. The other saddles took a lot of me trying to find the spot. I also guessing me trying look cool with a fancy saddle had a lot to do with my discomfort also. I know saddle preference is totally personal, but this cheapo is a dream to me. 30 miles plus some is now a breeze!

Similar Products Used: Fizik Arione, ISM Adamo, Fizik Alante, Selle Italia Flite MAX, Specialized Toupe
Bill   Road Racer [Mar 22, 2010]
Strength:

Great feel. Great comfort

None for me. I'm not a lard ass like some of the reviews (160 lbs) so I don't beat the saddle up.

Great Saddle. The first time on it I could feel the difference. Done many 6 hour plus rides and some 200 mile plus races. The only thing that doesn't hurt at the end is my butt.

Similar Products Used: Selle Italia SLR 135gm. (this is a good one too). I have this on my mountain bikes and love it.
buchismo   Road Racer [Jan 02, 2010]
Strength:

fit

durability

This saddle was comfortable for me. I am a bigger rider and spend most of time in the saddle and a lot of time on the drops. I felt I could more easily tilt my pelvis forwaed and flatten my back with this saddle. My only complaint is with the durability. After a little more than a year it broke. It did break during a somewhat wild effort at the end of a race giving a teammate a leadout. I was putting a lot of stress on it. My other concern about the saddle is that I think the label of "carbon" on the bottom may be misleading. I took it apart after it broke and while I'm no expert on carbon, the only parts that looked like carbon are the pieces at the tip and rear of the saddle that are used merely to cover the staples that attach the saddle cover to the plastic (that's what it looks like) saddle frame. Well, I bought the same saddle again so obviously for me, the good fit compensates for the suspect durability.

Fixation   Recreational Rider [Oct 31, 2009]
Strength:

Perfect firm support with a little padding, long distance comfort, easy to maneuver on.

I am a satisfied user. I have had no negative issues with this saddle. No, I'm not paid by Specialized to say so.

My Specialized Alias saddle was a hand me down from a coworker at a bike shop. I must say it is the most comfortable saddle I've ever sat on. I am a fit rider doing many fixed gear endurance rides.
I don't have a lot of fat in the butt. So the sit bones are right on the saddle supports. Therefore I can't use a saddle with too much padding. My sit bones will settle into all that gel and padding causing muscle pain. The Alias saddle is a great combination of firmness and compliance.
I've had no issues with numbness either in the extremities or the man-parts. Not a peep has this saddle made since installed. The rails make no noise at all. I am hyper sensitive to sounds on the fixed gear as the drive train is merely a whisper.
Riding distance on a fixie requires climbing strength combined with high cadence spinning on the descents. While not being so slippy you constantly feel as if you're sliding off the saddle, the Alias is easy to reposition on enabling one to scoot back for climbing power, and move forward towards the nose for faster spinning.
A 75 mile ride on Tuesday, a 69 mile ride on Thursday, and I can still sit comfortably! I'm impressed. Bottom line, this is a good choice of saddle for somebody in fit cycling shape, wanting to do 40+ mile rides comfortably. Quality cycling shorts are definitely a big help. Don't skimp on cycling shorts.
My next saddle will be the Specialized Toupe, a perfect blend of firmness and flex.

Similar Products Used: Selle San marco, Selle Italia Flite
sancle'1   Recreational Rider [Oct 18, 2009]
Strength:

NO NUMB NUTTS

A REAL PAIN IN THEE ASS

NEEDED A NEW SADDLE BAD, THE COOKS AT REVO, SOLD THIS SADDLE TO ME AFTER THE WHOLESPECIALIZED SITBONE CRAP. AFTER PUTTING UP WITH THIS TORCHER SEAT. I AM DUMPING IT FOR A FIZIK ALIANTE.

69chevelle70   Recreational Rider [Nov 11, 2008]
Strength:

Comfort/price

weight??

Saddle is comfortable and price is reasonable.

Similar Products Used: Toupe ( felt like I was sitting on gravel), Fizk Arione
abqcleve   Road Racer [May 26, 2008]
Strength:

Materials, weight, channel design, cosmetic appearance

SQUEAKS!!! Might not be an issue for a flyweight. Not planning on breaking 200 lbs for another 6 months and won't keep saddle long enough to experiment. Not terribly comfortable after 3 hours.

My Specialized Roubaix Ultegra came with a seat similar to this one. Not terribly comfortable and worse, it started squeak. No one wants to ride with a squeaker! Took it back to dealer, who traded it out for this model. Same problem.

The issue appears to be my size (210 lbs) and the way the rail suspension is secured: they just slide in little metal brackets. I've tried lubing them with various products to no avail. Appears to me to be a design issue common to this type of saddle.

Will be looking at other manufacturers. Any advice?

Similar Products Used: Other Specialized saddles of this design
jonny   Recreational Rider [Apr 25, 2008]
Strength:

comfortable! custom sizes, reasonable weight 250g

hard to find a good price, not available on many online stores (then again you wouldnt be able to do the measuring thing online)

i had a hard time trying to find a good road saddle, i tried using my mtb saddle on the road but didnt work even though was great on the mtb, so after trying a couple other brands i went and got measured and gave this a try, just amazing, i didnt even think about it on the first ride, no pain, no numbness, still same comfort after 3 months, saddles are personal so only way ur gonna find the right one is trying different ones, specialized may be onto something with the whole measurement thing, give it a try, worked for me