Specialized Romin SL Saddles

Romin SL

Subtle styling, premium comfort and outstanding lightness make Specialized's Romin SL Saddle a superb upgrade for any bike. Its extended cutout, Body...

TiRelax   Recreational Rider [Jan 14, 2012]
Strength:

Comfortable, cradles your sit bones, light

will ruin your shorts after long term use

If anyone wants the long term test results here are mine. I bought this saddle about 2.5 years ago. I liked it so much I both another one for my other bike a few months later. Never looked back. I like to ride in the drops on the Florida straights. But when on long rides or climbing the mountains in GA, I've never have an issue with numbness or comfort with the saddle.

That being said, on both saddles, about a year ago I noticed some wear on the front nose on both sides where my tights rub against it. This past summer I noticed all my expensive bib shorts were getting frayed in that area. On Thursday I went for a hard ride when at one time I stood to sprint, my shorts had strings caught in the saddle. My shorts are ruined as the front nose had cut all the way through them in the inside of my thighs and the nose is now totally bare.
A friend of mine with the same saddle is going through the same experience on his 1 year old saddle.

I guess time for new saddle.

Similar Products Used: Selle Italia Gel Flyte
Selle SMP
roland shaw   Road Racer [Jun 01, 2011]
Strength:

just good in every way

best buy is the romin sl , i can beleive just how good this saddle is, in the uk you get a month to ride and if you are not impressed they give you a refund,i will not be sending mine back ,no discomfort or numbness

roadie01   Recreational Rider [May 27, 2011]
Strength:

Light Weight
Simple effective shape

Can't just set it at level and go.

I switched to the Romin after reading that several pros that were on Specialized Toupe saddles had switched to the Romin. I rode my trusty Toupe for 4 years and loved it even on long 200 mile rides.

The Romin is a firm saddle and due to it's contoured shape does take a couple of trial and error rides to get the position just right. Once it's set though it does just what a good seat should, disappear under you. Meaning no hot spots, no specific pressure points, no numbing or tingling of the sensitive bits.

This is a great saddle, I'm looking for putting in some long 4 plus hour rides to see how this saddle compares to my Toupe.

Similar Products Used: Specialized Toupe
Fizik Aliante
AllezExprt   Road Racer [May 25, 2011]
Strength:

LIGHT. Seems durable. Looks great! Could be my favorite saddle (pending a few more rides)

Padding could be cushier...personal preference. It took me many tries to get the setup right. But I think I did it.

I'd heard rider after ride rave about the Romin. So, I had to try it. I was looking for a replacement for my San Marco SKN. At first glance I really liked the look of the saddle. Really well made, slick, nice colors/graphics, really everything about the appearance is nice. Once installed, it felt great at first. Such a difference from the SKN. The sloping middle cradles your posterior just right and I thought I'd found my new saddle. Until I rode it....

At one point I put it back on eBay because I was convinced I'd never get used to it. It just felt...hard. My sit bones would be so uncomfortable after 30 mins. Something wasn't right. I switched it out for a Selle Italia SLR which I did a 65 mile ride on. It felt better but again, not my kind of saddle. I put the Romin back on...and wow, comfort again! But, ensuing rides proved that I hadn't figured this one out. So I tried every angle from back to forward, slid the saddle up, slid it back and nothing was working. Finally, just yesterday I dropped my seat height 2mm., tilted the saddle more nose down than i had done before, slide it rearward about 1mm or so...and boom!!! That was it. I found it. The setup. Went out for 25 miles to test it and I was happy. No more searing sitbones. In the end I think the saddle was a bit high and I'd had it tilted back just a bit much.

Similar Products Used: Older Specialized Rival, San Marco SKN, cheapo Sette model way back when.
dno   Road Racer [Mar 04, 2011]

Was expensive, but now cheaper this year (50 cheaper for the old SL version). It is also a little heavier than something like the Antares, but 50grams for comfort etc is a non issue for me.

I have used many saddles, Arione, Toupe, Aliante, Flite, Antares and this is by far the best so far. I perfer that it is firmer than the toupe as I found the flex on the toupe over time uncomfortable. Compared the Fizik's and Flite the reduced taint pressure is significant and very important for me. No comparison for me. The closest I have found is the Antares from Fizik, which was a good saddle, but the taint relief and comfort of the Romin is just better.

I have ridden up to 135 miles a day on with no issues, and it is equally at home racing or being used for recretional rides. I like this saddle that much that I have 3 in storage at home and by extras whenever they are on sale.

Similar Products Used: Fizik Antares, Aliante, Arione,
Flite, Toupe
DaveKGold   Recreational Rider [Mar 01, 2011]
Strength:

Nice appearance, ok for shorter rides

Too hard for long rides.

I had this saddle for at least 6 months. I found it fine for rides up to 60 miles, but as time wore on...and the distances got longer...I found it quite uncomfortable. So I do not recommend it if you ride over 50 miles regularly.

Similar Products Used: Specialized Alias, Fizik Arionne, Fizik Antares, etc.
blutown   Recreational Rider [Feb 05, 2011]
Strength:

Contoured shape distributes weight better
Center cutout relieves pressure
Great comfort for sitting up and going aero
Light weight and well constructed
Everything I liked about the Toupe without the downside

Hmmm, nose may be wide for some
Premium pricing but it is top-shelf afterall

After riding the Specialized Toupe for a year and a half with mixed feelings, I decided to try the new Romin. The Romin has all the features I like about the Toupe, anatomic fit, center cut-out, Ti rails, but without some of features I didn't like; cheap-looking plastic tabs at the front and back, too-narrow mid-section, just not that comfortable on long rides.

The Romin has a contoured shape that feels like a cradle and helps to distribute the weight over a bigger surface thereby reducing discomfort and potential chaffing. The most controversial feature is the wider nose. I ride aerobars and appreciate having an actual surface to support me. I do have thicker thighs (not boasting, just the way I'm built) and there is some contact with the nose but not an issue for me.

In summary, this saddle is the most comfortable perch I've ever ridden. Compared to the Toupe, it's a notch better for my shape and riding style.

Similar Products Used: Specialized Toupe
teapotter   Road Racer [May 06, 2010]
Strength:

Comfortable, no pressure on the taint, even when in the drops

heavier than some saddles

It has delivered what it advertised, is the bloodflow benefits of a saddle like the toupe, but particularly effective in the drops

Similar Products Used: specialized toupe, bontrager inform rxl, specialized alias, and many others