AC American Classic Seatposts

American Classic

American CLassic

Drew Roginski   Road Racer [Mar 26, 2007]
Strength:

Micro adjustment is nice

Clamp mechanism creaks under my 190 lbs unless I crank it down to the point that it scares me

I've owned several of these over the years. They're not great but are good posts for the price.

Similar Products Used: lots
Bickis   Road Racer [Jan 11, 2007]
Strength:

Lightweight, strong, fine adjustability.

Have to loosen the seaspost to adjust angle, a bit of flex in the nose of saddle because of small retention piece.

This is a great seatpost. Nice and light, without the worries of carbon. I did strip the top retention piece when I overtightened it, but I got a replacement piece for less than twenty bucks. Really fine-tuning of seat angle, just make sure you loosen the main retention bolt before adjusting (which I guess is a bit of a pain). I used this seatpost for a season of cyclocross without problems, as well as lots of road racing.

Similar Products Used: Felt carbon, lots of aluminum
saberZedge   Recreational Rider [Apr 30, 2006]
Strength:

Strong, price

I have used this post and American Classic posts for years. Great post, easy to adjust seat, holds seat in place.

Similar Products Used: Campy
dlenmn   Recreational Rider [Apr 13, 2006]
Strength:

Weight
Easily adjusted
Reasonably priced

Bottom of clamp doesn't have that much contact area with the rest of the seatpost -- it may not be sturdy enough for a large person.

I find the design appealing because it is simple and easily adjustable, but it ended up not working out well for me in practice. I'll try to describe the design. The bottom half of the clamp that holds the saddle's rails contacts the lower part of the seatpost in two places. In the front it rests on top of the part that connects to the tube. In the rear it rests on a tiny set screw (the other end of which is in the part that connects to the tube). So the contact points are the short side and opposite vertex of an isosceles triangle. The seat angle is adjusted by adjusting the set screw. A larger screw clamps everything in place. The problem is with the tiny set screw. It is towards the rear of the seat post, so it carries most of my weight and has been slowing grinding through the bottom half of the clamp that holds the saddle's rails. Perhaps partly because of that, it has an annoying habit of loosening (even when locktighted in place). Every month or two i'll be riding along and notice that my seat is rocking with me, and I'll have to hop off and tighten everything up. I weigh ~195lbs, so this may not be an issue for a smaller person. I've replaced it was a Profile O2 which is harder to adjust but much beefier.

Similar Products Used: various one screw seat posts
ivany   Recreational Rider [Jan 29, 2006]
Strength:

It works.

None really.

Well, what can I say...it's a great all-around seatpost. Not quite as light as the carbon fiber toothpics you see around today, but it is of respectable weight, and won't leave you with an extra hole down there. The clamp is solid and easy to adjust.

Similar Products Used: Bontrager Sport Seatpost
brewster   Road Racer [May 13, 2005]
Strength:

price

finish clamp design sturdiness

Having owned this post, the only thing going for it is the price. I needed a 25.0 post and so there're aren't many options. I had high hopes for this one. I got the black version, which I found out was painted, and not annodized. It scratched off way too easily. The clamp got frozen on my new seat, and I had to cut the clamp in two to free my seat when I wanted to move it to another bike. Since it only clamps in two small areas of the seat rails, it's not very sturdy. I can flex the seat quite a lot just torqueing on it with my hands. Now just imagine what your whole body weight is doing when you sit on it. I should have paid twice the price and bought a Thompson.