Campagnolo Record Carbon Seatposts

• Size: 27.2 Length: 250mm
  • Carbon Fibre Tube - Light Alloy Head

• User Reviews (35)

Jonathan Poster   [Jul 26, 2014]
    Strength:

beautiful fit and finish....holds seat snug in position......relatively stiff and light....goe with the rest of my groupo....

it broke....snapped in half.....

I've been riding seriously for 40 years....I have NEVER broken a seat post before........have a custom Serrota Ti / carbon frame with all Campy Record......for the cost of this item there is NO WAY it should have lasted only last 10,000 miles....very disappointed

Moody Cat   Recreational Rider [Dec 17, 2012]
    Strength:

Looks classy and well constructed.

Perhaps a little short. Poor design that cannot securely maintain saddle position.

Allows the saddle to easily slip to a 45-ish degree nose-up position when the bike hits a bump in the road.

I need a fix for this. Can anybody help?

Similar Products Used: SR Laprade (1980's single bolt). Campagnolo Record (1980's twin bolt). Post Moderne Bracer.
    Andy Barnes   Road Racer [Oct 09, 2008]
    Strength:

Looks nice. Works a treat.

I read the reviews here and I am a bit surprised. The seatpost and saddle haven't budged since I fitted it, never makes a noise, nothings broken on it. I paid 80 GBP for it and I have ridden 20-30000 km per year on it since 2002. I am 85Kg most of the time, sometimes more (87Kg), sometimes less (81kg - but even inorganic objects start to look like roast chicken at this weight). Sold the bike last week and the seatpost is still in perfect condition. It has been removed and refitted a few times to make transporting the bike easier without any difficulty. Might go and buy another one to replace the BBB post on my new ride:)

Similar Products Used: BBB carbon. X-lite
    jberenyi   Recreational Rider [Aug 27, 2008]
    Strength:

Very nice looking is about it.

Expensive and poor design with respect to the finer serrations in the clamp area. Its just too fine.

I have to agree with another individual below about the shortcomings of this seatpost. It is just downright dangerous to use. It is impossible to line up the serrations in the clamp area accurately without compromising them. I followed the instructions on the manual including proper torque settings and if you go over a mild bump...watch out for the saddle sounding out a large crack sound. That sound is the saddle clamp skipping over the find teeth in the seatpost! My first time out and the saddle moved twice in 20 miles. This is not good. And forget about torquing it tighter. Campy recommends not exceeding 16.2 ft. lbs. or you could snap the bolt when you go over a bump in the road due to excessive force put upon the bolt. I wish I could use this seatpost as I have always loved Record and Chorus products. This time I will have to pass and go with another manufacturer. Imagine being on a Century ride and your seatpost gives out.

Similar Products Used: FSA K-Force, Ritchey, Specialized
    Dennis Rank   Recreational Rider [Aug 03, 2006]
    Strength:

Pretty

Doesn't actually work!

This is for the 2006 Chorus carbon post, purchased for a new bike, but it has the same head design as the Record. I'd advise not buying this post.

The problem is in the head design, which uses very fine grooves to (supposedly) help keep the saddle angle and fore/aft position fixed. They simply don’t work, and the saddle slips continually. I have cranked the fixing bolt extremely tight, to the point I worry about either breaking the hex wrench or stripping the bolt threads. It will hold for a couple of days or a couple of weeks, but inevitably when I hit a sharp bump there’s a loud and terrifying CRACK and the seat slips. After this happened a few times the grooves started to get worn and the slipping has gotten worse.

The problem appears to be that there are two sets of grooves, one on the left and one on the right. It’s impossible to tell if you’re in the “same” groove on each side because they’re so finely spaced. If the grooves aren’t exactly matched side to side, then the seat mounting plate is actually sitting at a slight angle (you can’t see this). That means the grooves aren’t fully engaged so no matter how tight that bolt is, the head slips. It may slip even if they ARE correctly engaged – I can’t tell as I’ve never managed to keep it from slipping for more than 3 weeks.

Similar Products Used: Older Campy posts, 1 and 2 bolt
    RadCat   Recreational Rider [Sep 07, 2005]
    Strength:

High quality, best looking, easy to adjust.

Ridden this post for 2 1/2 years and at least 5000 miles with no problems whatsoever. Great looking. Easy single bolt design. My weight has varied 195# (winter) to 175# (summer).

Similar Products Used: Thompson
    ptanau   Recreational Rider [Jul 20, 2005]
    Strength:

Light weight Looks nice

Fragile

I have ridden on the seat post for 3500 miles before it broke. The seat felt a bit loose but when I stopped I realised that the seatpost had broken flush with the top of the seat tube. It was literally hanging on by a few threads. Certainly glad that it hadn't come apart a few minutes earlier when I was sitting up without hands on the bars. I installed it per manufacturer's instructions with a torque wrench etc. I weigh in at 160 lbs and have not raced or crashed with the seatpost. I am thoroughly disppointed with the product.

Similar Products Used: American Classic
    flythebike   Road Racer [Dec 22, 2004]
    Strength:

Light, Strong, Simple, durable head-clamp mechanism, good looks.

Price but it is Record after all. Slips if you don't tighten enough or you use lube.

This is the best seatpost I've ever had. It is comfortable. It is really easy to adjust the angle. It is quiet. It feels solid. If I torque the seatpost clamp properly it doesn't slip. I weigh about 180 out of season 170 in season and I don't generally ride like an oaf.

Similar Products Used: American classic AL, Campy Record Al (1990s), Campy Athena, Shimano Dura Ace 1990s (crap), Dean Ti (nice), Campy Super Record, Sugino, Ritchey, Bontrager
    campy10   Recreational Rider [Dec 13, 2004]
    Strength:

Classy looks and for me it has proven to be very reliable.

None that I have found.

I have the 2004 Chorus carbon post which is essentially the same as the 2003 Record post. Unlike most of the other reviews I can happily say that this seatpost has given me no problems at all. It has not slipped down into the frame the saddle has not shifted in the beautiful polished alloy clamp and there are no signs at all of any damage to the carbon fibre. In my opinion there are three things which lead to problems with carbon seatposts these are the rider is too heavy(I weigh 147 pounds),the correct installation procedures where not followed when installing the post and the frame does not offer a good secure fit for the post.My first bike was a giant TCR 2 and it did not offer a good fit. I tried an Easton carbon post with it and it slipped down into the frame. The same post in my current bike a Bianchi SL does not slip at all.

Similar Products Used: Easton CT 2 Deda Magic stick.
    Pat C   Recreational Rider [May 12, 2004]
    Strength:

Hey, it's Campy so it's cool to begin with, and it looks nice on my Italian bike. It doesn't have that UGLY orange and red logo all over it. I'm not a snob, but...

I hope it doesn't split. If you don't see another post by me in the next few weeks, I think it will be OK. It also fit a little tight in my seatpost tube.

I just mounted a 250mm 2004 model and rode with it once. I weigh about 200 pounds, but it's dropping! (-: My route takes me over two railroad crossings. I bought the post before reading reviews, and I hope the 2004 version is better than the older reviews. A few things a former pro bike mechanic told me to do when installing - -> First, use a cylinder hone to remove any burrs. Tiny burrs apparently weaken any carbon posts. I didn't have a hone, so I used some 400 grit sandpaper. -> He also insisted that I degrease the seatpost tube before installing -> He said to follow the torque settings, but I don't have a torque wrench so I didn't do that. Oh well... It definitely softens the ride, as opposed to the stock Colnago aluminum post it replaces. If it splits, I'll be back to flame this thing.

Similar Products Used: stock aluminum Colnago.