Easton EC70 Seatposts

EC70

The EC70 Seatpost features the same CNT carbon construction as the EC90 with an aluminum upper clamp plate for a more affordable price tag. CNT construction blends carbon fiber with Carbon Nanotubes which Easton calls the lightest and strongest structures in existence. Taperwall

Jeff D   Road Racer [Jun 27, 2008]

I don't get too excited about a seatpost...and this one is no exception. Its a bit more comfortable that the stock aluminum one that came on my bike, and I like the setback, but my comments will focus on Easton's customer service. I've had this seatpost for about 2-ish years and 10,000 miles. Last week the helicoil un-threaded from the upper clamp...if you don't know what that means suffice to say that it broke and was unusable. Called Easton's customer service number, talked to Jan, and had a new clamp kit delivered under warranty 3 days later...no cost, and no questions asked. Didn't even demand to see a sales receipt (which I have). I carefully select every piece on my bike and every company I do business with. I will go out of my way to purchase from a company that makes such nice gear and provides that level of post-sale support. Thanks Jan.

Mark Woolery   Recreational Rider [Jun 13, 2007]
Strength:

Light weight. No problems with slipping or the finish degrading over time.

350mm model seems prone to breaking. Setback makes it difficult to use toolkit. Adjustment is difficult to fine tune, although once adjusted and tightened it stays put.

Purchased when I building up a Kestrel 300Ems. Light weight even though this was the 350mm mt bike version as the shop did not have a 250mm at the time. The set back on this seatpost made it difficult to use a regular tool kit behind it as the velcro strap on the seatpost was cutting through a pair of good riding shorts in one 30 mile ride. Not a problem on my other bike. I had to rig an older toolkit underneath the seat. Other than that it worked fine till just after riding on it for 3 years. Hit a bump on a century ride and heard a loud crack. I thought I had damaged my carbon fiber frame so I took back to the shop. Turned out that the head of the seatpost had cracked and was starting to separate from the post. Shop caught it before that happened and took care of the replacement for no charge. Evidently, this is a problem with the 350mm size models. Shop says it problems with one other on a mt. bike, but no problems with the 250 size.

Shop did a great job isolating the problem as the crack was difficult to find and took care of the free replacement.

Similar Products Used: Shimano
Veronikafan   Recreational Rider [Mar 09, 2007]
Strength:

Generous saddle setback, light weight

poor carbon fiber durability, slips down in frame

I chose this seatpost to take advantage of the generous amount of saddle setback it provides. Upon initial installation, it fit snugly into the seat tube of my Lightspeed Classic frame. I certainly didn't have to force it or twist it to get it in, but it wasn't loose, either, It fit properly. The problem started when I removed it to pack the bike for shipment to Hawaii. Although the inside of the frame's seat lug is smooth with no burrs, the epoxy clearcoat on the post disintegrated as I slid it from the frame, leaving a lot of fine, white powder inside the seat tube and on the seatpost shaft itself. Now, it fits too loose, and continually slips down when I ride. I torqued the Campagnolo seatpost binder bolt so tight in an effort to hold the post securely, that the steel bolt snapped.
The solution was to replace the EC70 with an Easton EA70, the identical seatpost, except the shaft is made of aluminum alloy instead of carbon fiber, and it is $40 cheaper. The EA70 weighs less than 30 grams more than the EC70. It doesn't slip in the frame, and I can't feel any difference in the ride quality. So, I recommend the EA70, but not the EC70.

Similar Products Used: Shimano Dura Ace seatpost, American Classic aluminum seatpost, Selcof BiPosition seatpost, old Campagnolo Chorus alloy seatpost
xcmtnbikernm   Road Racer [Sep 21, 2006]
Strength:

Light weight, strong, rock solid clamp, 25mm offset

None so far in the two years I have used it.

Best seatpost period!
Easton say not to, but grease it.

Similar Products Used: Easton EC90, Thomson Elite, Bontrager Race lite
leftnote   Recreational Rider [Jun 27, 2006]
Strength:

Got a really good price. Totally deadens ride.

Had to buy a torque wrench to make sure I don't overtighten but this is good to have anyway. Sometimes not sure how well it will wear after repeated insertions.

Even near maximum insert I couldn't believe how much this post deadened vibrations in my seat. Now I realize the tail feels like the head which also sits on a carbon fork. Now I try to ride over gratings and cobblestones.

Similar Products Used: Aluminum posts (kalloy)
bsdc   Recreational Rider [Jun 06, 2006]
Strength:

Looks nice.

It broke.

It's a good enough seatpost. Maybe they are real reliable, but mine wasn't. I haven't had a seatpost break in nearly 20 years of riding. Reliability is number one in cycling. This post wasn't reliable for me.

Similar Products Used: Lots of seatposts. I've been riding since 1988.
norm   Road Racer [May 29, 2006]
Strength:

price,looks and most of all it works !

Alittle heavy. I recommend chopping a bit of the post end.

Looks great, the rounded post fits most frame styles. No slippage and no creaky noise.

Similar Products Used: EC90,DEDA,CAMPY,BONTRAGER...
Sheik Yerbooti   Recreational Rider [May 17, 2006]
Strength:

weight, finish, function, design, quality, scale-marks, decent setback

scuffs and scratches more easily, no 25.0mm vers.

Heard good things published about Easton products, so thought I'd give it a try, although it seemed pricy at the time. Wow! Wonderously light, without being wimpy and impeccably built, like everything Easton that I've ever bought or drooled over. Despite the noticable setback, I have actually, until recently, used this for my tri bike. (Works for me!) Too bad there's no 25.0 mm version for my LOOK road bikes. Anyways, really appreciate the strong single-bolt attachment, making it very easy to adjust or access, being very similar to D/A or Record posts. Also, the scale marks are a nice touch. Best of all, when attached to an SLR, it's like holding virtually nothing; light enough for me! (altho I'm no weight weenie.) Anything much lighter, I wouldn't trust. (Bikes spend more time pounding ON the road, not on weight scales.)

However, like others have mentioned, I have noticed that the finish, although flawless when new, flakes and scuffs prematurely- but that's the portion that's IN the frame. The exposed carbon and alloy head are still like new, even after 10K.The varnish for the carbon could be better, but then any more gloss might make it slip more easily. I also found that for the first ride or two, it slipped a lot, but it was fine afterwards. Because the bike and wheels are full carbon, it's difficult to tell if this post has any noticable suspension/ absorption qualities, but whatever it seems to do its job well. Value-wise, possibly the best post there is, IMO.

Similar Products Used: LOOK ergopost, another LOOK dual-bolt type, FSA SL-K, Bontrager X-Lite (also very good)
i8urbike   Road Racer [Nov 20, 2005]
Strength:

Absorbs some shock (definite plus when using an aluminum frame), light, strong

Haven't noticed any yet.

Great seat post, light, strong, made so that the clamp won't damage the post, and decently priced. Also more forgiving than an alloy post.