Kalloy Road Seatposts

Road

sluggo55   Commuter [May 25, 2009]

A kalloy seatpost came with a bike I purchased two years ago. I've had it replaced and will never use another Kalloy. I twice had the seat detach from the seatpost because the bolt that tightens the seat rails to the seatpost sheared off. I've been bike commuting for 34 years and never had a seat come off. The second time it happened, I crashed badly. I first time I thought it was caused by a defective bolt, but now I'm thinking -faulty design. What are the chances of getting two defective bolts, months apart and from different bike shops. I'm not taking any chances- I'm using a different brand.

Quentyn Zbikowski   Road Racer [Jan 16, 2003]
Strength:

Strong, dependable.

Oh my god is this thing ever heavy. Never realized it till I handled lighter alloy, ti and carbon posts. But whatever, you can get one of these for less than $10 now.

This is the seatpost that came on the first road bike I ever purchased. An excellent Bianchi that I gave a guy $150 for Early 90's. He needed cash badly. I knew nothing about maintenance or care for a bike at the time and basically abused this thing for thousands and thousands of miles. Never serviced anything. I'm not small. 6'0 210 pound former college ballplayer. The seatpost never moved. I adjusted it once when I first got the bike and it never moved. What more do you want.

Similar Products Used: None. Only alloy post that I have actually used. Only use carbon and ti stuff anymore.
Adam Pollock   Commuter [Nov 16, 2002]
Strength:

Long, strong, cheap.

Is it heavy? Is the water bottle empty or full? Not the thing for le Tour, but handy if you don't have le Sponsorship.

It's a seatpost. It's an aluminum tube with a clamp on top. It costs fifteen bucks. It comes in any diameter you might need. It's more than a foot long, which may help if your frame isn't tailor-made. It's readily available. It's not bad looking. It won't let water into your downtube. It's not a vise, but the notched rocker clamp with single Allen bolt is easy to adjust. It hasn't come loose on me yet. It's long. It's strong. It's cheap. If your riding buddies sneer at it, find new ones; it might be everything they're not.

Similar Products Used: American Classic, Superbe Pro.
moabbiker   Road Racer [Sep 11, 2002]
Strength:

Cheap?

Heavy

This Kalloy seatpost came stock with my Giant OCR1 Bike. It's basically the cheapest type of seatpost you could possibly get. The weight should make you realize how low end it is: 310g! The adjustments seems fine, though I have only put about 200 miles on it so far. Use this seatpost as a backup, or on a beater bike, NOT your pride and joy.

Similar Products Used: All sorts
Stampertje   Recreational Rider [Sep 09, 2002]
Strength:

Price

Doesn't work

It's cheap, it looks nice, Kalloy has a decent name, but it just doesn't work for me. I'm relatively heavy at 190 lbs., and no matter how much I torque the bolt this post will not keep my saddle level. It takes about 15 minutes for it to start pointing back up. I should note that I have hade similar problems with other (even cheaper) designs before. It might just work fine for somebody else. If it does, this should be a great deal.

Similar Products Used: Commuter bike seat posts with a seperate clamp - same problem. Heavy no-name road bike seat posts that worked fine.
Rex Perry   Recreational Rider [Jun 27, 2002]
Strength:

Inexpensive. Allows the most movement aft of any seat post I know. Good if you need a little more distance between bars and seat.

difficult to fine tune seat angle and forward adjustments.

Hey, what do expect for $15? A slightly heavy post that can be challenging when fine tuning seat angles, but a decent value. Well, that's what the Kalloy is.