Profile Design Fast Forward Seatposts

Fast Forward

Profile Design Fast Forward Aluminum Seatpost: The Fast Forward Aluminum is a triathlon and time trial specific seatpost that, when used with a standard road geometry frame, allows the rider to obtain a position commonly found with...

Peter Gemmell   Recreational Rider [Feb 27, 2010]
Strength:

cheap/effective. Works fine for 5'11", 31inch inseam, 56cm frame.

heavy - but not an issue on flat ground.

I converted by Trek 5200 to a pseudo time trial bike with this seatpost, C2 aerobars, a 150mm stem, and rolf vector pro wheels. The profile seatpost has been very helpful is getting more aero/forward position and with the other modifications above has increased my average speed by about 3mph.

Similar Products Used: none
Gcortese   Road Racer [May 16, 2009]
Strength:

Comfort and power.

None so far.

Puts you in a more comfortable aero position and a more powerful pedaling position over the original road seat post that came with the bike. I do not aero in group rides.

Ventruck   Recreational Rider [Mar 08, 2009]
Strength:

Performance in just about every aspect. Better pedaling form, more aero dyanamic. Grealty benefits frames that have more acute seat tube angles. Feels very rigid and not retro-fitted. Great alternative to getting a new frame/bike.

Length/height; As far as I know, there's only 270-310mm sizes available. Taller (over 6'0) hybrid riders or riders with compact TT frames may not really benefit from this.

I love it. It makes the bike geometry closely work toward my sprint-like running physiology. As a result, my pedal power and efficiency has dramatically increased and probably improving my average speed by about 1-2 mi/h. Aerodynamically, there was a big difference as well. I usually give up riding hard when dealing with 20mi/h winds, but not with the Fast Forward seatpost - I can deal with such winds nowadays and enjoy my ride a bit more.

I will note that I am using a hybrid - so my seat tube is tilting backwards, which I don't like because my legs perfer to more be over the bottom bracket. Also, the bend in the Fast Forward can act against the seatpost's diagonal extension, giving me the extra height I'm looking far without really compromising how forward I want to be.

The Fast Forward is a great alternative for such riders that don't have the money for another bike/frame. The fit doesn't feel retro at all, but rigid and integrated. Handling can improve for some frames such as my hybrid's as the center of mass is more in hte middle. Boad and tri bikes however may feel that the center of mass can be too far forward.

Weight is something to consider as this post uses more material to achieve the same height. I wouldn't get bent out of shape. I never noticed the weight change, and ended up being faster and more comfortable. Seatposts can make the the biggest difference in performance when compared to most parts. They change the rider form more than the bicycle - and that's what's important.

In terms of feeling cramped, I wouldn't call that a con of the Fast Forward. If you have the right stem and handlebar setup (as well as a properly sized frame), you shouldn't have a problem. Sure it may require other purchases, but it's all going to a better fitting bike.

I have a 270mm version. Websites say the max. usable length is 198mm. I'm 5'11, and need to already be at that max setting. This probably stands as the only con: length. The price is justified as there aren't many seaposts like this on the market.

casillod   Triathlete [Jan 03, 2009]
Strength:

Good idea

Not long enough for tall riders

The design is simple and effective. However, as others have indicated, the "min height" indicator on the tube can be pretty limiting. I ride a Specialized Allez Elite, and at 6'1" I require a good bit of seat tube height. This seatpost doesn't allow me to increase height to where I need. I'm currently disregarding the minimum seat height measurement so that I can use the tube, but if I had known this before purchase, I wouldn't have bought this.

Similar Products Used: Stock carbon seatpost with bike.
John   Triathlete [Feb 22, 2008]
Strength:

Cheap way to change riding position to tri-style. seattube angle: 73 to 78/80 degrees.

Limited max. Height. Quite heavy.

Good option in combination with aerobar. Angle of seat tube is virtually increased which is better for aerodynamic position and suposes to ease the transition from bike riding to running.

Similar Products Used: none
pgemmell   Recreational Rider [Nov 01, 2004]
Strength:

I noticed on my 1st ride that my average speed is up 0.5-1.0mph. I think it's the new position with less wind resistance.

None so far. I suppose handling could be affected (i.e. fast corners).

This seat post shifts you forward a few inches and delivers a more aerodynamic position. The seat post may not be the lightest (a minor factor in overall weight), but that is not the point when wind resistance is the domintant factor.

Similar Products Used: None
Nao   Triathlete [Dec 27, 2002]
Strength:

Convert your road bike geometry to temporal tri-position

Weight Larger frame (non-sloping top tube) users would not be able to use because of its minimum height.

Fastfoward seatpost was too extreme for me (gave me too much forward position). This seatpost would sacrifice your climbing ability due to extreme forward position, so use of this seatpost is more suited for flat courses. This stem was very heavy, too. If your frame is larger, so you cannot raise your seatpost high, you would face fitting problems with this Fastfoward seatpost because this seatpost would not allow you to lower your saddle from the seat tube(10cm minimun?).

Similar Products Used: Thomson Elite (much lighter and much better quality)
Rick   Triathlete [Jun 09, 2002]

I have been riding with the Fast Forward about 2 months now. It seems to put me in a better postion for strenth. I have long legs, and on an average frame always have my seat up pretty high. It always occurred to me that because of the angle of the down tube, I was always pushing pedals way in front of my center of Gravity. I experimented with this seat post to see if being more over the pedals would help. I would say it has been a pretty successful experiment so far. I really like the feel and position it puts me at. and transitioning from one event to the other seems to go better. Good Product