RockShox Road Suspension Seatposts

Road Suspension

27.2 x 290mm, 35mm travel.

dukesgunnar   Road Racer [Jan 03, 2003]
Strength:

Simple, robust construction.

Squeaks sometimes when wet and dirty, ya gotta clean it. 50% heavier than a comparably priced solid post.

I like it. Takes the edge off bumps but not anything more ie. suspension in the sense of a fork. I have the cut to the "softest" length. Works better on dips than bumps. No bouncing even when I get sloppy pedaling. Definitely takes the sting out of remounts in cyclocross. I weigh 140 lbs.

Similar Products Used: none
Mark Edel   Commuter [Oct 15, 2002]
Strength:

Acceptable construction

Not enough deflection for average weight riders to benefit. Annoying seat clamp.

I'm not sure what the other reviewers saw in this product. I weigh 165. Set for the maximum springiness, this thing hardly deflects (less than the seat springs!). The directions suggest that it could bottom out if set too soft. It seems to me that the force required to bottom this out, even with no spacers and no preloading, would destroy the bicycle. I can barely tell the difference between this and a solid post. Maybe it works better for heavier riders, or maybe my riding style just doesn't benefit, but it does nothing for me.

Similar Products Used: Non-suspension post
Matt Matcuk   Recreational Rider [Jun 28, 2002]
Strength:

Does exactly what it says it will--absorbs the chatter; not too heavy; looks pretty much like a regular road post; no sensation of bouncing

Seat clamp bolts a tad fragile (I busted one off my Rockshox mtn post); it's hard to tighten them enough to get rid of the squeak in the seat clamp without being in danger of snapping one; price-- even at $80 this still is not cheap

If you're looking for suspended seatposts, I'd recommend the rockshox road post. It's not *that* much heavier than a stock (solid) post and it really takes the edge off. I ride an aluminum road bike; while I like the lightness and the responsiveness, it's definitely a harsh ride. Even still, I probably never would have gone for this post if I hadn't started developing a medical problem (not due to cycling): I've got a herniated disc and mild deteriorative disc disease. After being off the bike for a year (actually riding a recumbent for that year) I finally got this post and started riding again. The big question for me was whether I would feel like I was pogoing while riding. I have to say that I almost never perceive any up and down movement, except on an occasional very hard bump that I was too lazy to get off of the saddle for. I got mine from a online/catalog retailer that I wouldn't recommend. I won't diss them here, but email me if you want the skinny, and paid $80.00 In case you're interested, I weigh 180 and actually had to back the preload almost all the way out; don't be afraid of doing so if you're at a similar weight: the post won't feel squishy.

JSupan   Recreational Rider [Oct 17, 2001]
Strength:

Adjustability. I weigh 240 and the directions and spare bumper provide for proper adjustment.

None so far.

I bought this seatpost due to a back injury, hoping it will help me stay on the bike as long as I had been. The post helps absorb a great deal of road shock from the rear of the bike, based on how much vibration I feel in my hands while riding rough roads. During this year''s MS150, I kept yelling how much I love this post, while my riding buddies complained about rough pavement.

Similar Products Used: standard seat posts
Joseph T. Nolter Jr.   Recreational Rider [May 09, 2000]
Strength:

Quality of manufacturing material. Ease of setup, and maintaining. Functioning properties to date for easing of medium to small bumps excellent. At present I am very pleased with this product up-grade.

Unable to fasten seat bag to post.

This is an upgrade of low cost and adds a great deal of comfort taking off the edge of the medium bumps. The one that I use is on a mountain bike and I am very well pleased with this product.