Thomson Elite Setback Seatposts

Elite Setback

The legendary design and construction of the proven Elite seatpost by Thomson, in a layback design for riders desiring a bit more setback. Post and cradle are constructed from one piece of 7000-series aluminum. Please note: Thomson does no...

bdaghisallo1   Recreational Rider [Apr 25, 2010]
Strength:

Ease of adjustment and repeatability of adjustment. No creaking and holds the rails well. Aluminum and not carbon. The clamp is the best in the business.

Kink on the SB version not too pretty, but it's functionality and the superiority of the clamp overcome this single shortcoming.

I have tried many others and I always come back to old faithful. Thomson is the best.

kpny1   Recreational Rider [Jul 21, 2009]
Strength:

EASY TO ADJUST--why can't other seat makers make a seatpost that is easy to adjust??

Beautiful looking. (I've got the black version)

I LOVE this seatpost. I tried to name my firstborn Thomson, but my wife nixed it.

I've just re-learned how much I love it because I upgraded my bike, and the Thomson setback seatpost on my old bike doesn't fit the new bike. It's been very frustrating to dial in the seat on the new post.

This post is beautiful to look at, easy to install, easy to adjust, and STRONG.

Great visual indicators make it easy to dial in the post to precise angles, and dual bolts make the north/south adjustment oh so easy.

Why are you still reading this post? You should be buying this seatpost.

Similar Products Used: Lightweight carbon babies that make seat adjustment a day-long affair of frustrating guesswork while my Thomson laughs.
shakenbake   Recreational Rider [Dec 15, 2007]
Strength:

Strong
Adjustment mech.
Reversible

MSRP

Had this on my Wilier Sestriere to hold a Selle Italia Prolink saddle. Very well mad product. Rails never slip, holds the saddle tilt (confirmed with a level). The best adjustment mechanism that I've ever tried. And for the record, I'm about 200#. The somewhat short setback might be a problem for some, but it fits me just fine

Similar Products Used: Ritchey Pro
Ultegra
Jlicciarde   Road Racer [Jan 07, 2007]
Strength:

Quality one-piece construction.
Several sizes diameter and lengths
Made in USA
Priced less then most carbon post that ate less quality.
Set back can be reversed for a forward position for a road bike that has been set up for TT

NONE

I own 3 Thompson Seatpost 2 are set back and the other is a zero set back for my TT bike. Quality made in Macon Ga. I switched most of my bikes from Carbon to Thompson Alum.

Similar Products Used: Specialized Carbon
michaelwoodardcpa   Recreational Rider [Oct 28, 2006]
Strength:

Perfect machining, just works as intended. Set it and forget it.

Not the lightest post, no bling like carbon.

After a recent failure of the FSA seatpost that came with my Cervelo R3, I replaced the hot supermodel post(FSA SLK) with the girl next door (Thomson Setback). Dependable and she loves me.

As others havce written, it is light, strong, easy to adjust, doesn't slip and cradles the rails. Weight is acceptable for dependability.

Similar Products Used: FSA, Bontrager, Control Tech, Zeus (Orbea)
Belgian biker   Road Racer [Mar 24, 2006]
Strength:

Weight, understaded looks with the nice bend, easy to adjust and oh so strong.

I changed the zero setback FSA seatpost that came on my MTB because I needed a setback seatpost. I ride a small frame for my height, so the post sticks out quite a bit, but that doesn't change the fact it inspires confidence. A friend of mine rode the TransAlp with a 35 kilo rack attached directly to the post and it didn't blink. How a bout that for a reason to buy this post. Light, extremely strong (it withstands Nm 475 according to a German cycling magazine).

Similar Products Used: FSA, Cannondale's own seatposts
Eric_H   Road Racer [Dec 20, 2005]
Strength:

Light, strong, simple yet elegant, functional, durable. The knurled finish helps grip in slippery seat tubes. The machining is perfect. I could go on and on.

Only that the setback is limited compared to many other posts.

I cannot remember if I have written a review for this post before, but after a recent experience with another seat post, I have once again been reminded of the greatness of the Thomson posts that adorn two of my three bikes. Simply put, the Thomson is the best piece of engineering in the seatpost world. It is light, strong, easy to adjust, does not slip, is gentle on saddle rails, has replaceable parts. Dump your carbon post, thrown some grease in your seat tube and put in a Thomson. The only drawback is that the design is somewhat limited in setback. And that is the only reason it is not on one of my bikes. The seat tube angle is just too steep to make a Thomson work on one bike (~74 degrees). But believe me, I will never have another bike with anything steeper than a 73 so I can comfortably use a Thomson setback post.

Similar Products Used: Campy, Ritchey, Shimano, Syncros, Kalloy, and a host of others I'm forgetting about.
Dinosaur   Recreational Rider [Jan 24, 2005]
Strength:

Strong, light, micro adjust provides for a perfect tilt and it stays in place. Nice finish and appearance.

Large clamp makes it hard to get your saddle back far enough. But the clamp makes for a secure mount (it's solid).

My bike came with a Thomson non-setback and I found it did not work for me. The setback model works best for long legged riders who ride with their saddles jacked up as the 15mm of setback does not offer a lot. However if you saddle height is 80cm or more then it effectively puts the saddle back far enough. For what it's worth, try finding a good used Thomson setback on ebay. For some reason there seems to be a ton of them for sale. I picked mine up for a token of what a new one goes for, and once it's mounted in a bike, it's considered used.

Similar Products Used: Thomson Elite non-setback. Salsa Shaft, Sette C.F. Road, Ritchey WCS
lennyg   Recreational Rider [Dec 08, 2004]
Strength:

bombproof ease of adjustment silver layback looks sick

makes me want to shell out more cash for the thompson masterpiece

If you are looking for a seat post that you can set up then forget about, this is the one for you. Eventhough it is relatively light, you can not break it! I went over the bars once and actually saw the bike land on the saddle about 20 feet down the road. Some other parts on my bike (and my body) needed attention, but not the thompson. It is bulletproof, dude. Awesome! As far as set-up, it offers a great combination of ease and adjustability. You don't need a torque wrench to tighten the seat clamp with this post. The two bolt system for setting seat tilt offers enough control for the most obsessive on the planet.